Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: Shmups

Post by Stanshall »

I think I said elsewhere but I'm really looking forward to playing DDP properly once Instant Brain turns up next month (hopefully). I heard that it runs too fast in Retroarch and it's always felt much faster than the footage I've seen elsewhere so I've never really stuck with it. It's supposed to be a bare bones port that they just threw it in there for the hell of it (which seems ridiculous to me) but if it gives me a chance to play it at the correct speed on the 360 with stick, I'll take it.

Second loop would be amazing, but so is the clear itself. I'll probably try to optimise the first stage until it destroys part of me and then move onto something else.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:27 am once Instant Brain turns up next month
Oh Lord.

Are there no depths you won't sink to? :lol: :lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 9:36 am Are there no depths you won't sink to? :lol: :lol:
Haha. Hey, don't shame Cave, I'm sure this visual novel is an artistic triumph befitting of Dodonpachi.

Edit: Probably NSFW.

https://www.3djuegos.com/juegos/7510/in ... 598793.jpg
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Cheers, I did see that one while doing a little bit of research and it swung it for me.

The only downer seems to be that you can't change the controls so I'm stuck with the arcade button config, whereas I'm normally a thumb bomber (not a euphemism, though I don't know what it would euphemise, it just sounds like a thing).

Looking forward to clicking through nine hours of improbable manga knockers to get my fill.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Without being glib, I will say that a PC is on my mental shopping list, behind a new mattress, office chair, bathroom, kitchen cupboards, holiday and carpets. By that measure, I should definitely be getting one by 2025! If money were no object I'd like to get one of those console sized beast gaming desktops but I'll see what happens over the next couple of years. I might have a Long-lost rich relative pop their clogs or something. As I say, though, I'm not desperate because the bulk of what I like to play are Nintendo/Sony exclusives, Souls games and shmups. I've got an obscene amount to still play without inviting Steam into my wallet, as well!

On that note, I woke up and fixed my 360 stick, one of the spade connectors was a little bit loose, and I fired up my fossilised laptop and transferred Deathsmiles back onto my 360. I decided that if I could tolerate the Groove Coaster Wai Wai aesthetic, Deathsmiles might not actually be that bad. Long story short, it's not that bad but I still don't really like the game. I find the shooting left and right really shit on stick, for one, because you either need to use four buttons or tap and I can't be doing with tapping. I also flat out don't like the shooting stuff coming from different directions, it's probably my least favourite thing about Rolling Gunner, as well, but that at least has a more straightforward shooting mechanic (to me). I cleared MBL but I don't know if that's the usual easier arrange for score play or what. Maybe I'll go back and try Arcade but I didn't especially enjoy it. Here's a bombshell, I don't really like horizontal bullet hell games aside from Rolling Gunner. I'm sure I've said before but I find Akai Katana really difficult to read and understand, as well.

I also played a lil' retro gem called Ikaruga? I just fancied seeing how I would get on with it and whether there was a future with the game or only trauma. I really enjoyed it, actually. I only had a handful of runs but I had my highest ever chain (at that point in the stage) on one of them, I found the extra little bit of speed I'd needed to get 70 chain whereas I'd only ever managed 68 previously. I also did the columns a couple of times on the other runs and actually, they're not bad either. It's not so much a question of timing as it is positioning. I also managed to speed kill the last big ship before the bonus lines before the boss, and I had an extra line to play with, so I can see how I would be able to push it further if I really wanted to. I don't, but I'll be happy to jump back into it from time to time and see how it goes. It actually feels good to just play it and enjoy it.

I also played and cleared (Dual Mode) in Sorcer Striker aka Mahou Daisuken, that Raizing game which was also ported to the PS4 by M2 STG. I saw Mark MSX reviewed it the other day and he's spot on about the Orchestral Arrange soundtrack, it is absolutely lush. It makes me wish for an orchestral Futari or Mushi OST, or even DOJ! Dual Mode is another easier M2 arrange but I still only cleared it with one bomb in stock and no lives. It gets really tough even with your wingman point blanking bosses and stuff. Honestly, I didn't expect much from it but it was a really fun, nicely balanced clear for me. The environmental stuff in the stages is really unusual and creative, reminds me a little bit of Darius Gaiden or Blazing Star (or even Ikaruga), where you can see enemies and hazards in the background before they appear on the field of play, as it were. There are some really inventive visual ideas here. I wouldn't call it a downside necessarily but it does go on a little bit, albeit with a brilliant payoff. My missus was asking me when we were going to sit down together to watch some telly. I was on Stage 5 at that point and said only five minutes tops. It was probably another fifteen minutes before the credits started rolling. Some funny twists and turns, though, and a real final hurrah.

Also had a few goes on Ketsui and managed to no miss to the stage 3 boss, so I'm improving there. Apparently sacrilegious but I really like the narrow shot faster heli. I also love the gold bullets! Likewise, I no missed to the same point on Dangun Feveron, where I like Ship B with Roll, 3rd speed. I think that's pretty standard. Really having fun with that game and as I said, the VIP Arrange OST is fantastic. Incredibly camp, but beefy and rich, like a big gravy boat of amyl. Excellent game.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I'm too busy participating in the feud of the millennium with some japanese gentleman on the Vanquish leaderboards (stayed up all night and finally reclaimed my spot!!) to be able to dive into any sort of shmup at the moment, but that was a great read.

I really wish M2's Dangun Feveron would get an official EU or physical release of some sorts. I'd love to try it out at some point, sounds great. Broadly speaking, the constant accessibility barriers so inherent to this genre are just mind-blowing to me. Very frustrating that the universe managed to craft one of the most rewarding and appealing video game genre and then apparently decided to make it as difficult as possible for all but the most dedicated lunatics to enjoy it.

Sorry for what amounts to little more than a drive-by post, I'm about to log back in to see if I've been overtaken again. Wish me luck. :lol:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

KSubzero1000 wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 1:24 pm the most dedicated lunatics
I prefer the term connoisseur, I'll have you know.

Now go and take your JPN nemesis to the cleaners!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I misjudged Danmaku Unlimited 3. It’s excellent.

Love it when a shmup “clicks” and you start achieving something. Made it to the stage 4 boss, literally a few bullets from killing it before using a continue. Previously I had never made it past stage 3. Did the first 3 stages without taking a hit, too, and beat my previous high score by over 20m. I went on to finish the game for the first time using the available continues (this game doesn’t let you credit feed so that feels more of an achievement than it sounds) and I just seem to “get” the patterns a lot more now. Great fun, I’ll be aiming for a 1cc in time.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Got tonsillitis so can't be arsed doing anything. I shall persevere and return stronger than ever (steadily, incrementally, imperceptibly worse unto the grave).
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Hahaha
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

So how about that Detana!! TwinBee, huh?

Been on that on the TwinBee Deluxe pack on the SEGA Saturn and it's SUCH a joy to play. I played the PC Engine port on the Wii Virtual Console before I got this disc, so I'm still getting accustomed to the difficulty increase. Haven't been able to crack the stage 2 boss without continuing yet.

Also, I am reminded that I owe it to Suits and myself to get back to UN Squadron on the SNES.

AAAAAAAND... this Friday I'm starting with my progress run on NES Gradius, to get the clear on that game.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Playing Gradius tonight on the Cane and Rinse Twitch tonight, guys. Come check me out!

More info.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Progress last night:

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Well, this thread is dead and buried. Stan, Haze, you guys still into shmups, or...?

https://www.siliconera.com/dodonpachi-s ... -elements/

???

Anyway, this was unexpected. A sign of things to come?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Very much but not been posting/reading a lot recently, unfortunately finding it hard to sit down and play very much besides Groove Coaster, Hatsune Miku Project DIVA Mega Mix and Taiko Drum 'n' Fun. I need something light and fun rather than a frustrating series of hurdles. I have been working on a 1CC of Ketsui, though. Nowhere near but regularly getting to stage 4 and NMNB a handful of times. I really really need to practise the bosses much more to have any chance, though.

I bought Dezatopia and don't like it at all.

I've enjoyed Michiel's Gradius stream, though, and really looking forward to that issue.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Morning folks. Good to hear from you and I hope you are coping throughout the madness.

Given this thread literally makes at least 20% less sense now, I thought it might be dead and gone - but I'm happy to participate in a resurrection if you guys are... Apologies to Michiel - I've been unable to get the time to join your streams, time to myself is so limited - I would have enjoyed chatting during the Gradius one :(

Shmups have taken a back seat lately to a few games, namely Luigi's Mansion 3 (I find stopping and coming back to this doesn't work in terms of controls, and I want to finish it. It's fantastic), Rocket League (I'm playing online again with friends some nights which is frankly invaluable right now, cross-platform play is a godsend for this), and Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice (DLC case. I always have a visual novel on the go).

I did however purchase Anger Force: Reloaded on Switch recently but am yet to fire it up. It sounded cool and has tate-mode on Switch, which means another reason to get the flip grip out for my newly-fixed Joycons. The analogue is excellent now I've replaced it. What are you up to Ksub? Also why don't you like Dezatopia Stan? I had half an eye on this one.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

hazeredmist wrote: March 20th, 2020, 10:02 am What are you up to Ksub?
Oh, I haven't played any shmup since the cataclysm... The main appeal of this genre for me has been the back-and-forth with you guys in this thread, so it feels kinda pointless playing it by myself. Besides, I've been back into 3D action games recently. I might take another crack at Ketsui or Ika after I'm done with Doom Eternal, though!

And now my super sexy stick is biodegrading in the cupboard, just as I had feared... If only that MayFlash adapter didn't have these unspeakable 4 microseconds of lag! :mrgreen:
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I'm just happy I got S++ before the world/thread imploded.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Do not tempt me! :lol:
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There’s a new vert out on most formats called Red Death.

Can’t vouch for it personally but it’s only £3-£4.