Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
clippa

Re: Shmups

Post by clippa » November 17th, 2019, 10:08 am

Big shot mark slagging off DOJ on the 360 if that's what's missing from your life.

Urgh, I just kissed my dog on the eyeball, she turned her head at the last minute.

It looks like that rolling gunner over power dlc will be distributed at that expo in the form of a code that you plug into a website, so it looks like they're dragging themselves kicking and screaming into this brave new world of digital distribution.
(RGOP is a download code sale.) Purchasers will also receive a postcard and paper plane. Thank you in advance.
:lol: of course, someone on twitter has already asked if the paper planes will be available to buy in the US.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » November 17th, 2019, 11:15 am

Sweet. That makes my full chain of stage one even better. Funnily enough, I thought this was easier via FBA than on the 360. It's also easier to learn it with save states and stuff. Maybe it is time to replace Ol' Melty with a decent comp.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 17th, 2019, 11:29 am

My futari black label 1cc is probably really good as well, isn't it? Mames probably faster, I'd imagine.

I don't mind ports being "inaccurate" to be honest. You just have to treat them as a separate thing. I see people going "this version of the game is absolutely unplayable bwababababugh"
when really they mean that during the start of stage 3 it slows down to a quarter speed instead of half for a third of a second and one of the spaceships is missing.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » November 17th, 2019, 11:40 am

Whatever makes us look better, let's just say that's what it is. And yeah, I agree. Even with the Switch ports of Gunbird and Zero Gunner, they're perfectly good fun even if the input lag and stuff is technically bad. The devs even added a - to Zero Gunner's title to acknowledge how shit it is or something, which is kind of amusing.

I guess if you're planning on playing competitively etc you do need it to be as accurate as possible, though.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 17th, 2019, 11:54 am

Yeah, and it's above our pay grade, but I remember mark saying that that input lag becomes a lot more of an issue when you get to the thirteenth loop and the bullets are faster than light.

I do think people get bogged down with stuff being arcade accurate and wanting to replicate every fold and wrinkle though.
Obviously that's the dream, but it's very rare that any port is considered 100% accurate anyway, I think there's always that element of doubt that stops them from mixing all the scores together anyway, you often seen on high score boards, you'll have separate sections for people who played on the pcb, in mame, the ps2 version and so on.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 18th, 2019, 11:56 am

Information for customers who purchased physical package versions for PCs outside Japan.

We will make adjustments so that customers outside Japan can sell the Rolling Gunner Over Power download code. The time is scheduled for the beginning of 2020. Please wait a little longer.

The main reason for timing is to adjust sales channels. I think it can be completed in the meantime.
Dear god, just set up an itch.io account, you'll be shifting units within the hour.
It's a good job I have the patience of a saint. Eek, I'm looking forward to it. Surely they're just saying 2020 to cover their bumbling arses.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 23rd, 2019, 2:27 pm

https://translate.google.com/#view=home ... 2%E4%B8%8A
Rolling Gunner, which was an attack / evasion, has been reborn as an attack / overpower.

By using an analog controller, you can enjoy the operation feeling that is not in the original version, which can move the rolling gun freely.
It can also be operated with a lever + 4 button controller.
Sounds like you're better off playing this new mode with a twin stick pad. Not sure how I feel about that. We'll see, if there's not much precise dodging required, it might be fine.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 25th, 2019, 12:43 am

Monkey paw smallprint: Your wife fades out of existance and you instantly gain 4 stone and unbearable halitosis. The deaths of 4 local schoolchildren hang heavy on your conscience.
Specifically to Stanshall: You can't flog those deathsmiles posters on ebay and use the money to buy more tiddy toy soldiers.

Would you still - the rrrrooom of dreeeeams?!

clippa

Post by clippa » November 26th, 2019, 9:53 pm

If there's anybody there, some of those stupid shooty games you like are on sale.

I can't be arsed making a new list so this'll have to do you - https://www.resetera.com/threads/shmups ... st-9556649

S.t.e.v.e.n p.u.s.h o.f.f.

Wow, I did not know this had a music video, I know what I'm doing with the next 4 and a half minutes of my life! Wow, there's Kathy Burke and everything! I wonder what she thinks of the racist old fool nowadays :lol:

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 27th, 2019, 8:59 am

I'm still around, posting a little less (I have muchos going on in life right now) but no exit strategy. And yes I will be buying Mushihimesama!I had been waiting for this to go on sale after Stanshall recommended it.

Do I need the version with 1.5 and the OST? Extra couple of quid...

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » November 27th, 2019, 9:04 am

hazeredmist wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 8:59 am
Do I need the version with 1.5 and the OST?
Yes.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 27th, 2019, 9:11 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 9:04 am
hazeredmist wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 8:59 am
Do I need the version with 1.5 and the OST?
Yes.
Thanks mate. Purchased the "Matsuri" pack. The holy trinity of Cave Steam shmups in my library now with Mushi, DFK and Deathsmiles!

...and yet another shmup on the pile of shame :lol: credit to clippa for alerting me to this of course.

You been playing much lately Ksub?

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » November 27th, 2019, 9:22 am

hazeredmist wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 9:11 am
You been playing much lately Ksub?
Not really, haven't had the time to. A few minutes here and there, but nothing serious. Just enough Spelunky to conclude the game is about as frustrating and unwelcoming as I remembered.

Btw, I highly object to Deathsmiles being counted as part of the Holy Trinity of anything! :P
They really need to get Ketsui on Steam as soon as possible. I forgot, do you have a PS4 to play it on, by any chance?

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 27th, 2019, 9:28 am

Yeah I've still got my PS4, largely for shmups (I have Jamestown, Ghost Blade HD, Fast Striker, Astebreed etc). Is Ketsui available here?

What's the beef with Deathsmiles? Is it just the moe stuff? Mechanically I think it's brilliant, so much fun to play.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 27th, 2019, 9:37 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 9:22 am
Just enough Spelunky to conclude the game is about as frustrating and unwelcoming as I remembered.
There's mileage in winding Clippa up about this. I am in the same boat :D

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » November 27th, 2019, 9:40 am

hazeredmist wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 9:28 am
Yeah I've still got my PS4, largely for shmups (I have Jamestown, Ghost Blade HD, Fast Striker, Astebreed etc). Is Ketsui available here?
Yeah, although you'll need either a JPN account or a physical copy to play it. (And Battle Garegga Rev. 2016 is also definitely worth playing, if you're going down that route.) I have them both on disc and I love them, especially Ketsui. I suggest reading this excellent review to know more.

Deathsmiles... Yes, it's mostly the presentation stuff that rubs me the wrong way. But I also didn't find it all that interesting to play. To be perfectly fair, I only played it once, so it's more than likely that I missed out on the one or the other mechanical nuance. Horis aren't really my thing anyway, with a few exceptions.

clippa

Post by clippa » November 27th, 2019, 12:52 pm

What are those exceptions, out of interest?

I think it says a lot about a persons character if they find spelunky frustrating.
Death is such an utter joy in that game, and a learning experience to boot.
You haven't played enough.

Yes, we're all different, and we all like different things, but this isn't up for debate. Spelunky is gaming perfection, or as close as we've come so far. Right now, 27/11/2019 at 1:44pm, it's as good as gaming gets.
I don't even think I'm joking here. I mean, I'm going over the top for fun, but it still feels like I agree 100% with everything I'm writing :lol:

Ketsui runs perfectly in shmupmame, haze, if you want to give it a try. It's very good but it's very hard and intense. I still don't think I'm ready for it! :o
When you're in the zone and everything is clicking and you're all up in their grill and pushing and pushing, it's euphoric, but it's punishing, and I don't find much drawing me back to try it again. One day I'll properly dive in and give it the attention it deserves, but there are other games with similar scoring mechanics that I much prefer.

Deathsmiles is excellent. I'm not for one second going to defend the paedo baiting character design, but the game itself is fantastic. Once you're in the game itself, it's never an issue, and it's easily caves best looking game for my money. It's utterly gorgeous.

Yes, the 1.5 mushi dlc is definitely worth it, the game now has rank and proximity scoring, you can hang back and go for an easy 1cc (I know this is relative, but it's much easier than the base game on normal), or you can get aggressive and point blank the baddies and go for sooperdooper score and squeak with delight and fear as you watch the bullets get faster and faster.
I pretty much always end up playing this mode when I turn it on nowadays. It's great fun.

Nice to see you again, owly!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » November 27th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Stanshall wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 11:40 am
... input lag...
The Switch seems to be getting a bit of a free pass, or at least it's not being picked up on my major sites, but that's the third thing I've read about poor input lag on Switch emulated titles in the last 48 hours.

I was checking out whether it was worth buying the Sega Megadrive collection and found loads and loads of people complaining about terrible input lag. I dug a little deeper and Mega Man Collection owners are complaining about the same thing.

This isn't really good enough, is it? In a time where a toaster can emulate Doom, we really shouldn't be having to suffer this kind of stuff on decades old games. I wonder if it's hardware or software related, but it's definitely an issue for a lot of people. I don't think you can say it's hardware, since the wireless PS4 and Xbox pads don't have any noticeable lag, and other games on Switch don't suffer from it, which just leaves poor emulation. Really, anything less than M2 standard shouldn't be allowed to be sold!

Suits

Post by Suits » November 27th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Clips - What’s your dogs name ??

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » November 27th, 2019, 2:34 pm

Alex79uk wrote:
November 27th, 2019, 1:29 pm
Stanshall wrote:
November 17th, 2019, 11:40 am
... input lag...
The Switch seems to be getting a bit of a free pass, or at least it's not being picked up on my major sites, but that's the third thing I've read about poor input lag on Switch emulated titles in the last 48 hours.

I was checking out whether it was worth buying the Sega Megadrive collection and found loads and loads of people complaining about terrible input lag. I dug a little deeper and Mega Man Collection owners are complaining about the same thing.

This isn't really good enough, is it? In a time where a toaster can emulate Doom, we really shouldn't be having to suffer this kind of stuff on decades old games. I wonder if it's hardware or software related, but it's definitely an issue for a lot of people. I don't think you can say it's hardware, since the wireless PS4 and Xbox pads don't have any noticeable lag, and other games on Switch don't suffer from it, which just leaves poor emulation. Really, anything less than M2 standard shouldn't be allowed to be sold!
I may be an amateur but I have the Megadrive collection on Switch and I couldn't perceive any input lag, and I think the emulation is excellent. I've played through several games including the entirety of the Streets of rage collection, I recommend picking it up.

I've also not noticed lag on anything else I've played... And I play a lot of "reaction" games. On stick, Pro Controller, or handheld. But again I'm no pro.