Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
clippa

Re: Shmups

Post by clippa » December 7th, 2019, 8:49 am

M2 bringing aaaaall the toaplan games to console (except for the rudey ones like "tits oot mahjong". Glad I didn't have to be the one to let Stanshall down this time) if they can, starting next year.

https://twitter.com/okunari/status/1203212104087437312
M2 and Toaplan titles will be ported to home video game consoles! I want to aim for all the titles from next year as long as there is a company. I want to do not only shooting but also Wardner and Get Star. However, it is unknown how many years it will take.
This looks shit - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1132230/Iridion_II/
Some people on the shmups forum saying it's actually good, but they seem waaaaay more tolerant of shit so long as it's old and out of print and costs over 100 quid for a physical copy.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » December 8th, 2019, 9:15 pm

Going through a dry spell as I’m trying to finish Steins Gate 0, but I’ll be back soon most likely with a run on a steam shmup I haven’t played much of when I get chance. Maybe exceed 3rd Jade Penetrate black package, which has to be the best game name ever.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » December 8th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Kinda saving my switch for Christmas now with the Hori split pad set to revolutionise my handheld gaming again. I’ll finally have a Dpad! Should be great for shmups

clippa

Post by clippa » December 8th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Yah, I'm having a dry spell too, I haven't whipped out my stick for a long time.
I've got manflu and I'm feeling down so I've just been snatching some comfort gaming spelunky sessions now and then and that's about it.

I'll have to kick myself up the arse and jump onto something soon.
I might fire up batsugun again, I was having fun trying that when we were thinking of what to play for a competition.

When's that esp ra de coming out, will everyone be playing that?

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » December 9th, 2019, 8:19 am

The shmup people are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers.

Suits

Post by Suits » December 9th, 2019, 9:35 am

hazeredmist wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 8:19 am
The shmup people are easily startled, but they'll soon be back, and in greater numbers.
Shmups aren’t the games you’re looking for.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » December 9th, 2019, 11:05 am

Played my new old U.N. Squadron SNES cart (flipped to 60Hz) last night. What a game!

Played it back in the days, but didn’t get into it as much then.

The map and objective choosing is a very cool addition from the arcade game. And despite there being a health bar, it’s far from a cake walk. After the opening stage, things get overwhelming quick and take some proper learning.

Suits

Post by Suits » December 9th, 2019, 11:13 am

UN Squadron is a game that was burnt into my memory as a child, that only a few years ago I realised what it was.

My whole memory was built around the dudes face at the top of the screen.

Not played it in decades, would love to give it a go.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » December 9th, 2019, 12:04 pm

DO IT! :lol:

Suits

Post by Suits » December 9th, 2019, 12:29 pm

I might just get an Area 88 cart and run it on my Super Famicom.

This could be a nice little side dish over Christmas actually.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » December 9th, 2019, 1:18 pm

Sounds like a plan, to be honest.

Suits

Post by Suits » December 9th, 2019, 1:29 pm

£13 on eBay.

Does me.

clippa

Post by clippa » December 9th, 2019, 4:04 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 8:19 am
Those cowardly, inauthentic, third generation watery clones won't be back.
I want full fat twisted shmup nerds or nothing. Balls on the table!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » December 9th, 2019, 4:06 pm

clippa

Post by clippa » December 9th, 2019, 4:08 pm

:lol: I was trying to coax stanshall out of his hole.
You're too authentic if anything :D

If he does ever come back, the fucker is gonna wish he stayed on holiday. I've already done a shit in his shoes.

clippa

Post by clippa » December 9th, 2019, 10:28 pm

Pushed myself and had a game on esp.ra.de tonight. It's the first time I've felt it clicking, which is a good sign. Will put that on again tomorrow, I can't just slump in spelunkyworld for the rest of my life letting my brain go to mush.
I like the first guy best I think, I'm gonna stick with him.

clippa

Post by clippa » December 10th, 2019, 6:24 pm

Dezatopia steam page is up, release date sited as 1st Feb - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1178290/Dezatopia/

They've left the switch bumper on there which I'm assuming is just laziness rather than a mistake.

Switch version of this and mecha ritz may be delayed for a little while.
Apologies for the delay, as in porting an engine for the first time to Switch, we ran into some bugs and we are unsure for Nintendo cert timing. Even if both won't make it in time, we are committed to Steam release next month with Switch as soon as possible after.

clippa

Post by clippa » December 10th, 2019, 7:42 pm

It's a good job I haven't got fucking abandonment issues or anything.
Not everyone with a mental illness is a serial killer, you wet cretin!

(is he coming over? Act like I've just told a really funny joke)

clippa

Post by clippa » December 10th, 2019, 9:21 pm

clippa wrote:
December 9th, 2019, 10:28 pm
I like the first guy best I think, I'm gonna stick with him.
Actually, I like them all now that I've been trying them more. I think I like the cute wifey one best at the minute, gonna stick with her.
Am I doing it right, you just keep shooting the secondary weapon and I'm guessing enemies you hit with that, you kill them with the normal gun and you get loooot?

edit: https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?t=279
The secondary shot is actually the most important of the two basic weapons: Beside making a lot of damage, it triggers multipliers for your basic points.It works in this way: if you shoot a blast of the secondary shot and hit an enemy, you can land on it from 1 to 15 energy bars (the bar is located at the bottom of the screen, on the player's side of course). If you destroy the hit enemy with the main shot, you will also trigger a timer for your multiplier: depending on enemy's size, you can get from 0.5 to 2 seconds to continue the chain and keep having the said multiplier on score. Now, the only way to replenish said timer is to collect the bonus cubes.these cubes are released by larger (i.e. that take more hits to explode) enemies and by englufing bullets into explosions: if this happens, every bullet will be turned into a bonus cube. Now, when you land a secondary attack on an enemy and then destroy it with the main weapon, you will trigger the multiplier bonus: said multiplier is based on the level of energy that lands on the enemy. For instance, if you land a full level 15 secondary attack on an enemy and then destroy it, you will trigger a x16 multiplier :

the basic formula is Energy Bar+1=Multiplier Value, or EB+1=MV

The amount of energy in stock depends on your power level: you start at 7/15, then increase by +2 per full power-up. Now, one final note on the bonus cubes: every cube gives you back 0.1 seconds on your multiplier timer. The maximum timer, however, can never be higher than 2 seconds. Bonus cubes are also (obviously) worth points, hence the name: every bonus cube is worth 100 points x the MV, so big showers of cubes are worth a lot of points and will maintain the multiplier going. Now, cubes are also related to the bomb: let's see how.
Ugh, my head hurts. Right, I think I was on the right line, I can't take any of that shit in when someone trys to explain it to me, but it looks like I'm going in the right direction, I'll just feel it out while playing.

It's good this! I never really got into it, but it's clicking now.

edit: Best so far

Wow, stage 4 is so cool! First time I got there. Difficulty shoots up there mind. Will play again tomorrow.
It's really blown the cobwebs away playing this.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » December 10th, 2019, 10:44 pm

I’ll try this out too 👍

It’s cave, can’t be that bad can it? :)