Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
clippa

Re: Shmups

Post by clippa » January 17th, 2020, 2:10 pm

It's canny, it has some roguelite mechanic where you get to pick "perks" in between the stages which either "adds enough variety to keep things interesting" or "adds enough random elements to make it pointless to play competitively and makes a mockery of the leaderboards!", depending on your outlook.

I did enjoy my time with it, the different characters really change how the game plays, they're not just reskins. I remember some of the bosses being good fun, it looks a bit tacky/flash game, but I really liked the bright cartoony style. After 10 hours, I drifted away. Didn't quite grab me as much as other games, but aye, it's good.
Definitely something that's worth a revisit, if only to see if I could beat that boss I was stuck on!

Aaah, I see what Stanshall was on about the last time we discussed it - https://steamcommunity.com/games/650780 ... 9487342095

They added some new upgrade system after I stopped playing it, I remember him complaining about that. They're only permanent if you're playing the campaign mode, choose arcade and you should be fine, it's just the in between stage upgrades you get in that.

I only know those switch games because they started out on pc. Everything starts out on pc. Mario? PC. Zelda? Good PC lad. Sonic? PC, born and bred.

For the new cats in neko, it just happened for me and I couldn't remember how so I had to look it up myself - https://steamcommunity.com/app/592270/d ... 528056798/

There's yer man saying
I think you unlock a new character each time you finish the game (difficulty or number of credits used doesn't matter).
So give that a try. If that's not working, maybe you have to 1cc the game and maybe on a certain difficulty. I always just used the fat cat until I unlocked a new guy and then i used the new guy and the other unlocked when using the new characters.

Is Eugene the lass in the red coat? Yeah, she's the best cat, OP as fuck, the black cat you unlock before her is nearly as good though! The fish you unlock last is melee only and you have to be really good to play with that one.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 17th, 2020, 2:42 pm

Yeah that's the one.

Damn, I need concrete methods... I saw that Steam thing and it's too vague. I've finished the game loads of times and on loads of difficulties but just no 1cc. No Eugene. Bah

Thanks though :)

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 17th, 2020, 10:31 pm

I changed cat to the green one, simply to see if it might unlock a new cat by finishing it with continues, and got to the last phase on stage 7 before needing a sole continue to finish it - best I’ve ever done, tired as fuck and slightly inebriated too.

The bastard blue cat has been holding me back.

I will 1cc this soon. It’s on

clippa

Post by clippa » January 18th, 2020, 12:09 am

Oh, wow! Is this the green one?
I thought I'd best ask because one of us might be colour blind.

I think I just stuck with the fat one cos I liked his screen clearing bomb and he seemed the right speed for me.
Sorry if I've been recommending the wrong cat all this time!

I finished futari tonight!
Aw man, it's a bitter sweet victory, the replay is so fluke and panic bomb heavy. I even bombed on the second stage boss and then stage 3 was a total shitshow, I like to think I've got that stage figured out nowadays but it all went to pot, bombing and dying all over the place.

Then, somehow I seemed to turn it around a bit and there were some eye-popping fluky dodges during the last stage, by the time the boss came, my nerves were shot and I was just playing it safe.
I was thinking "please don't let it be this run, please don't let it be this run!" :lol:
but a wins a win. It's not pretty, it's anything but sexy, but it happened and that's what counts. Smart price, no frills, casual scrub, seat of my pants, milquetoast, quiet squeaky fart clear. On the list it goes.

I think the video will take ages to upload on my shite internet so it might not be done until a lot later and I'm tired so I'll post it up tomorrow.
It feels nothing like closure, I feel like I need to upload another run in the future where I'm a lot calmer and looking like I know what I'm doing :lol:

"Go on then, one last run before I turn it in" I shouldn't have. I had a quick of maniac before that and that was fun!
Hey, maybe being tired and playing it safe contributed, maybe everything fell into place, I shouldn't complain. Once that first 1cc is out the way, you play with a lot more confidence.
Yeah, it's a good thing. I'm not gonna look like billy big bollocks in front of my pretend internet friends, but it's out of the way. I can move on with my life. I played this game loads years ago and I was really shit so I never got too far. I'm glad I came back and kicked it's fucking teeth in, even if it was a messy scrap and I was flapping my slappy hands about while looking over my shoulder with my eyes scrunched shut.
My heart was in my mouth towards the end! I really should practise those last boss fights instead of just going in blind.

Sorry, I realise I'm posting a lot and going on a bit, people are probably sick to fucking death of me more than usual!
I'll try and be a bit less excitable and let people breath. It must be a pain in the arse to post something only to see it swallowed by 3 pages of clippa shite.

I beat futari!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 18th, 2020, 12:31 am

Congrats clippa!!! Way beyond my dreams and immensely impressed.

However

I can join you in the success tonight because

I JUST 1CC’D NEKO NAVY

Fuck I’m so pumped I could push a wheelie bin over then pick it up after

Fuck

I unlocked Eugene by completing it with Kyrie, and finished it in one baby with Eugene. Laid waste to that shit. Fuck.

YAAAAASSSSSS

We’re on fire tonight lads

Edit: you didn’t give me duff advice at all, the blue cat is best for most scenarios I think, just my knowledge of the game and the increased speed of the green one (you’re right that’s the top one) and the bomb (big circle thing) worked well for how far in I was, the faster cats are better for the homing missiles late in the game and they’re my kryptonite. I’m the tool for not trying other cats until today!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 18th, 2020, 12:47 am

It’s a shame this game doesn’t save replays (on switch at least) or I’d upload it. It’s been a long road getting here.

Upload your Futari vid clippa!!!

clippa

Post by clippa » January 18th, 2020, 12:53 am

Wow! Nice one! Yeah, there must be something in the air tonight. Owly's just smashed everyone's high score in the pac man thread too!
Excellent work!
I'm working on uploading the video, shovelling coal into my steam powered 56k modem.
Yeah, neko doesn't have replays on pc either. Shame. It's always handy, especially if you get stage fright recording live.

Mark's uploaded a new video if anyone's at a loss for something to watch.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » January 18th, 2020, 7:45 am

clippa wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 12:09 am
I finished futari tonight!

I beat futari!
AWOOGA! A no-BL Futari champ in the Shmups thread! Looking forward to seeing some clutch dodges in the pursuit of glory.
hazeredmist wrote:
January 18th, 2020, 12:31 am
I JUST 1CC’D NEKO NAVY

Fuck I’m so pumped I could push a wheelie bin over then pick it up after
Hahaha. This is the pop off speech Gus could only dream about! That's great work, and straight after BB.

This guy wants a word.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » January 18th, 2020, 9:07 am

Eyy yo, clip!

Great vid, that was a lot of fun, a roller coaster! First two and a half stages I thought he's hammed it up here, looking cool as a cucumber. Then I thought that's just stage 3 on its bullshit, you had to bomb, no choice. Stage 4 was going great, quality use of the cancels, but by the end of the boss I couldn't imagine how you'd clear from there with the resources left. Then stage 5 summed it up for me. With all due respect, that is the result of sheer skill and sight reading rather than a hundred hours of memorisation and grinding. Some outrageous stuff, especially the bit where you got walled and so streamed up to the top right corner, tried to carry it over round to the left but got trapped and I was thinking bomb bomb bomb bomb bomb...Yoink! Cut back through a tiny gap and reset your position. Some brilliant work on that stage, clean 1-Up and collected the bomb, looking totally in control again. By Larsa's last phase, though, you weren't really in any position to clear that so fair fucking play. When the tail came out, I was baffled how you could get to the end. No lives, no bombs. Those flapping wings of bullets. CLUTCH.

Great stuff!

clippa

Post by clippa » January 18th, 2020, 2:34 pm

Haha, did you see I tried that trick again a little later but there weren't any gaps so I thought "fuck you all, I'm going over the top! If I pull this off it'll be- Oh" big mistake, of course you're going to collide with some prick insect raining from the top of the screen. Won't be trying that again in a hurry.

Dear god, I tried to stay up until the video finished uploading but I was so tired. I've only just gotten up, you know? I needed that mega lie in, it all adds up. I don't feel any better for it, mind!

There were quite a lot of flukes. Lots of moments where my eyes widened and I thought "I just ran through that bullet, I'm sure", there was even a moment where that happened either on the first or second stage. Still, I've had my fair share of unlucky coin tosses when it comes to the old miniscule hitboxes, so I'll take it!

Awooga!

edit: Oh, by the way, I nailed the mini-game on the first stage, again total fluke, bosh, right on the pixel!

clippa

Post by clippa » January 18th, 2020, 6:50 pm

I don't want to give Chopper any more material for his tight five :lol: The owl blows hot and cold with me, but he's been positively frozen of late.
Can I at least get a "nice fluke, fatty" to tide me over?

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » January 18th, 2020, 8:54 pm

Yes, well done. Congrats to you both on the 1CCs!

clippa

Post by clippa » January 19th, 2020, 2:44 pm

and that's my standard issue ration of owl honey for the week, is it? Talk about a meagre portion.
What a swizz, it's not even directly addressed to me
"dear sirs/madams, we hope you enjoy this and all your future childish endeavours.
Yours, sincerely, etc."
There'd best be a bloody war on.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 19th, 2020, 5:55 pm

He directly responded to you! “Yes well done”. I got slung in with the “both” bit. And yet you’re scorned?

Good grief it’s always about YOU isn’t it!!!

:clippasfoldedarmsemoticon:

Aside from this incessant pseudo bunny boiler plot, I’ve started trying out the endless mode on Neko Navy. Have you played this? I got to Wave 44 on pretty much my first go, haven’t been able to get close since. It must be random how the waves come in. It’s hard, and addictive. One wrong move and you’re fucked

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » January 19th, 2020, 6:01 pm

Oh yeah I went back to try Vasara on Switch, and for the first time I’ve experienced it first hand as opposed to being told it’s there, I encountered very noticeable input lag. Using the stick, wired. This led to some tests between games. Everything else absolutely fine, Vasara terrible.. It’s borderline unplayable.

I actually think the game is pretty crap. Like a poor Psikyo ripoff. The ships feel slow and ponderous, and the enemy bouncing off you and nudging you is far more irritating than just losing a life. Binned.

clippa

Post by clippa » January 19th, 2020, 8:58 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
January 19th, 2020, 5:55 pm
I’ve started trying out the endless mode on Neko Navy. Have you played this?
I haven't, no. It was an exclusive mode for the switch version. I did cross my fingers hoping that it'd make it's way back to the pc version, but no such luck.
They're so often badly balanced but I'm still a sucker for an endless mode, so much fun to play.

yeah, the vasara ports caught me in a bad mood, I couldn't be fucked with any of it. Slung it all up the wall. I'll maybe push myself to try the second game in mame one day to make sure I wasn't being rash, but there's nothing drawing me in.

No time for gaming for me today. Might have a quick turn of something now. Might put spelunky on, I'm about 4 episodes behind on the the frank skinner podcast and fancy something relaxing. I wanted to play more battle garrega but I'm fluffed.
I think I'll just sit in the quiet for a bit actually, that sounds nice.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » January 19th, 2020, 9:57 pm

*pokes head in*

Very popular thread. I played some 1943 the other day and enjoyed it I think.

*runs away*

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » January 19th, 2020, 10:09 pm

Please don't run away. This is the friendliest, most welcoming, encouraging and enthusiastic and insane place to discuss shmups.

clippa

Post by clippa » January 19th, 2020, 10:45 pm

I told you, you have to jump on them quicker. Go for his legs next time.

I shook off the tiredness, it's a slippery slope that, I always enjoy myself when I start playing and you always forget about being tired.
I'm really getting into espgaluda at the minute. Don't know why, had a few goes last night and just really enjoying the rhythm of it. Gonna see if I can 1cc that I think for my next trick.

clippa

Post by clippa » January 20th, 2020, 8:40 pm

Aaaaaah, peace at last. Put my feet up and watch this, I think.