Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
hazeredmist

Re: Shmups

Post by hazeredmist » May 5th, 2019, 11:44 pm

Actually so is Sky Force. Can’t beat level 1. Hmm. I’m probably too pissed to play shmups right now :D

clippa

Post by clippa » May 5th, 2019, 11:44 pm

Aw man, sorry about that. It might be hard to judge which games are newbie friendly when you're right inside it all.

You playing as the fattest cat? I like that one best, it's nice and slow, the movement should be really manageable, remember it's only the little pink dot in the middle of the cat that you have to worry about getting hit.

You could use your bomb for survival instead of scoring at first, save it for when the screens full of bullets and you panic, particularly during the bosses.

You gonna stick at it or do you reckon it might be worth saving it for when you're feeling more confident?
hazeredmist wrote:
May 5th, 2019, 11:44 pm
Actually so is Sky Force. Can’t beat level 1. Hmm. I’m probably too pissed to play shmups right now :D
Hehe, yeah, that's not gonna help. Don't start taking something else to help you concentrate, for gods sake, I knew an old lady who swallowed a fly and that didn't end well.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 5th, 2019, 11:59 pm

As someone who basically never bombs in any shmup, it will took a while for Neko Navy to click but it's basically all about well timed bombs and building up your meter again. That was a sea change when I realised how it wanted me to play. Cracking little game and cheers to clippa for heads up.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 6th, 2019, 12:05 am

Beat level one of Sky Force. But obviously the game has sussed I’m too shit to progress to level 2 so it’s holding me back, think I’m meant to earn medals and do ship upgrades. I prefer the in-game way of handling this shit with power ups instantly applying etc, not sure Sky Force is for me but aye, too many beers down the line to be calling this.

Neko Navy I’ll definitely persist and make no apologies for recommending it, I really like what I’ve played so far - if I’d clocked it pretty much first go I wouldn’t have been impressed but it’s clearly a very good shmup and I can see it being one I chip away at on a straight head. It’s shown me how easy Overdriven was to be honest, I need hairs on my chest and it’s games like this that will put them there. Hopefully. Art style, music, graphically things don’t clash and I can tell my failings are my fault not the games’ which is critical. I got to the back end of the hospital level so far.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 6th, 2019, 12:08 am

The bombs thing I’ll remember that. Even after 6 cans of Elvis Juice. Cheers

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 6th, 2019, 12:11 am

Hang on you only have to worry about the pink dot? Jesus. That could change everything

clippa

Post by clippa » May 6th, 2019, 12:42 am

Haha, I like drunk hazeredmist, can we keep him?

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 6th, 2019, 8:04 am

clippa wrote:
May 5th, 2019, 11:30 pm

More like 17! Did the speedrun one just there

YESSS! Nice one :lol:

clippa wrote:
May 5th, 2019, 11:44 pm
Don't start taking something else to help you concentrate, for gods sake, I knew an old lady who swallowed a fly and that didn't end well.
Did you see the story during the week about people microdosing LSD and mushrooms as a health thing? :lol: Not suggesting that here of course...
hazeredmist wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 12:11 am
Hang on you only have to worry about the pink dot? Jesus. That could change everything
Same thing got me in Black Bird.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 6th, 2019, 7:21 pm

Chopper wrote:
May 6th, 2019, 8:04 am
Did you see the story during the week about people microdosing LSD and mushrooms as a health thing?
They use it to wean people out of alcoholism too.

In the old days, before LSD was discovered, the hallucinations had to be man made, you can see old documentary footage of the early clinical trials on youtube.
3 pensioners going downhill in a bathtub, or the sight of a pantomime horse stumbling through a field would usually be enough to elicit a double take pronounced enough to make the patient look at their drink, and then the "hallucination" and then back at their drink before finally throwing it away.

There was one trial I saw where the guy just shrugged and drank more fervently, you can see a man in a white coat running into shot just before it cuts back to Dr Benny Hill dressed as a milk float.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » May 6th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Haha genuine belly laugh.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 7th, 2019, 5:38 pm

Yay! I did a funny! I'd forgotten what that felt like. Feels like the big mac version of fatherly approval, all empty calories, no soul nourishment, makes you feel nice for about five minutes and then you're hungry again. No wonder comedians are so messed up.

Boom! Look ma, no treasure. Two left to go, I've looked on the internet, it's hard but apparently you can do the two player one without kidnapping anyone. You have to join as a second player and then babysit them and carry them through the level. Sounds like it might be fun, or really annoying. I'll give it a go and find out.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 8th, 2019, 8:31 am

Started playing a couple of Vita shmups, which I somehow own on my account but have no recollection of buying (not PS Plus).

Aqua Kitty DX is pretty cool, and reminds me a lot of Resogun which is no bad thing, although at the moment the levels feel a bit too sparse, I'm only four or so in though. Nice style.

Flying Hamster HD feels like a very low budget flash-game or something, jazzed up for a Vita release. Side scrolling kinda Parodius style gameplay. It's actually alright, a decent challenge and plays nicely enough. I doubt I'll plough too much time into it though.

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 8th, 2019, 9:22 am

I've been playing a little Darius, courteous of the Switch's Cozmic Collection. Like shooting fish in a barrel, if that barrel was outer space, and those fish were much bigger and mechanical.

The Master System version, Sagaia, works pretty well. The SMS was the first console I had growing up, and the slowdown and flicker that occurs when a little too much is happening feels about right. Knowing the hardware limitations, I thought it was a pretty impressive port.

The first Darius game I ever played (and owned) in my life was Darius Twin for the SNES (still have that PAL version on my shelf, box and manual included). The version in the Cozmic Collection is spot on, even if it isn't everyone's favourite.

Got to play Darius Force (aka Super Nova, also SNES/Super Famicom era) for the first time. This era may appeal to people more, as it plays much faster than the original arcade versions. More "modern" feel.

Darius Gaiden, needless to say, is fantastic. Funnily enough, the Extra version is not included in this collection. I have an F3 version of Extra, and kinda prefer it.

There's a lot of content here, but I really have to wrap it up with Darius Alpha, the notoriously rare and incredibly expensive PC Engine release. Basically it's just a stripped-back series of boss fights, and I think worth experiencing at least via emulation. Nice for it to be included considering it's history/reputation/rareness.

Only been delving in handheld mode, which is superb. I will have to make some effort with playing it through the TV, with my Mad Catz Fightstick plugged into the dock via the Brook adapter. So much M2 goodness.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 8th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Joshihatsumitsu wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 9:22 am
The SMS was the first console I had growing up
Mine was a vectrex, a bunch fell off a lorry so my dad and his mates at work all got to bring one home for a nice price.
I can remember my eyes nearly popping out of my head when I saw it! It was like a mini arcade machine in the house.

You'd have to be a real nostalgia junky to pay the prices they're asking on ebay though. I'd imagine it's even worse now since I last looked.

In other news: Ta-da!

Only the journal left to fill now.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » May 8th, 2019, 10:26 pm

clippa wrote:
May 8th, 2019, 4:41 pm
You'd have to be a real nostalgia junky to pay the prices they're asking on ebay though. I'd imagine it's even worse now since I last looked.
I received one for free from an ex-colleague who was scared of his girlfriend's reaction should he return home with the one sitting on his desk, when he left the company. 8-)

It's got some good old-timey shooting games on it, as well!

Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu » May 8th, 2019, 11:27 pm

There was a time, many years ago, where I relied on eBay much more for older titles. Fortunately you discover other online sellers outside of that overpriced marketplace as time goes on, some of them being ex-eBay sellers too.

Even including the price for proxy shopping, games from Suruga-ya are much more cheaper, assuming you want Japanese stuff of course!

And if you're in Japan, the proxy-shipping issue disappears, and you can tell other tourists to check out Super Potato while you sneak off the Suruga-ya, and have a massive collection of beautiful, cheaper software/hardware to yourself! ;)

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 9th, 2019, 7:59 am

I played a bit of Ghost Blade and while entertaining enough, I find the game a bit frustrating at times due to how much stuff is on screen at the same time. The enemies that launch themselves at me are difficult to keep track of in the constant rain of bullets and the combination of high movement speed and lack of analogue fine-tuning means that I often end up jolting my ship into the exact same bullets I'm focusing on and trying to avoid.

Not an entirely unpleasant experience, but a bit coarse for my current skill level.
clippa wrote:
May 2nd, 2019, 3:19 pm
there's your score to beat on Ghost Blade - https://steamcommunity.com/stats/577910 ... ds/1656955
I don't think our leaderboards are compatible, unfortunately. I had a look at the PS4 top scores and they're all 100 times higher. Must be using a different scoring system.

In comparison, I booted Shikhondo up again, and apart from the aforementioned design question marks and lack of proper tutorials / customization options, I was actually having a good time. Dodging bullets is significantly easier than in GB thanks to the slow movement speed and top visibility. The game feels very fair, overall. I credit-fed to the end to compare and contrast the patterns of the various bosses and they seem fairly well-designed from what I can tell. I like the ability to instantly negate all enemy bullets currently on screen when activating Soul Collect Mode, but in retrospect I don't know if it isn't making things a bit too easy. It's definitely a great panic button of sorts.

I think the game might be better than I initially gave it credit(s) for.

PS: This video explains more than the game itself ever does, unfortunately:

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » May 9th, 2019, 8:21 am

Is that the flying lass one? I've got that in my watch list, looks fun.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 9th, 2019, 8:34 am

hazeredmist wrote:
May 9th, 2019, 8:21 am
Is that the flying lass one? I've got that in my watch list, looks fun.
Well, there are several of those. You might be thinking of DeathSmiles, Mushihimesama or Touhou instead?

Anyway, it's not a bad game, and a fairly beginner-friendly one at that. Despite some minor issues that I and others may have with some of its aesthetic choices.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 9th, 2019, 1:32 pm

I've played a bit of Overdriven Reloaded. I don't really get it. Playing story mode you seem to have infinite lives? Also I'm not sure I know the point of changing colour of your bullets. I get that there are gems to change colour when you shoot them, but what's the point? Whatever colour you are, they all change to that colour and vanish. Am I missing something? What's the deal with not getting any kind of game over when you die, you just carry on literally from where you were. I'm sure there's a good game in there and I'm not understanding it properly!