Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
clippa

Re: Shmups

Post by clippa » June 20th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Stanshall wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 6:39 pm
Bullets must be rrrapid at that rank.
Except for the stage 3 boss, it doesn't really get too bad, stage 4 and 5 are a bit "leeeeeft ... riiiight" like you say, so you just do the same but the bullets are a bit quicker. It doesn't take too much adjusting.
Stanshall wrote:
June 20th, 2019, 4:44 am
that little sniper late on in stage 5 who pings a few bullets almost horizontally from point blank. I didn't even know he was there until the bullets had gone past me.
If it makes you feel any better, I was as surprised to see that little prick as you clearly were! I must mop all those up with my wide shot before they get a chance and you must have left a straggler what with you playing it safe and focussing more than normal. Plucky little fella, he nearly had you!

Beat my stage 1 score, not that we're keeping tabs, but it feels like the night wasn't entirely wasted!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » June 21st, 2019, 6:23 am

Meanwhile back in Early Learning Center: Shmups Aisle, I’m enjoying Danmaku Unlimited 3. The patterns are a lot of fun to navigate and the multi-stage bosses are great. Did a few stages last night before passing out.

Trying to resist the urge to buy Rolling Gunner, I totally don’t need it yet, and it’s digital so I can just get it whenever now...

clippa

Post by clippa » June 21st, 2019, 7:18 am

I think you might be right to hold off on rolling gunner.
That bigshot Mark playthrough-semi-review has confirmed my suspicion that it might not be a good in. Lots of difficulty options, but like he says, "easy" mode is aimed at cyborgs with a limp rather than your average humange beings. The turret control is a whole 'nother learning curve that you could well do without when you're finding your feet.

Best to stick to the straight forward stuff at first, movement controls, shoot and bomb, no gimmicks.

Grab it when it's on sale, it's not going anywhere.
My heart lifts whenever I see you checking in, but aren't you supposed to be having an internet-free holiday? Shouldn't you be throwing down the ale and spotting for your free-climbing infant during his arcade-stick abseiling endeavours?
Us bunch of dunces aren't going anywhere either!

When I was getting into bullet hell, I played futari to death and that's not easy, and you're constantly having to look at the top left of the screen to check the colour of the number to know which shot to use for score and I played guwange a lot which is the very definition of a gimmick shmup and it never did me any harm (twitch!), and everything has a novice mode nowadays so it's hard to know what to recommend for the best really.
Maybe if you just stick to the more traditional straight forward games then you might get stuck in that safe cul-de-sac and feel repelled by anything that was trying something a bit more different and interesting.

Just jump on whatever looks interesting to you, is probably still the best advice. What's the worst that can happen? So long as you're all fed and watered, it's not such a big thing. You drop twenty quid you'll never get back? That's nowhere near a bad night out.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 21st, 2019, 7:28 am

I bought Rolling Gunner last night and got to the ‘extra’ final boss on my first credit on the easier mode.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 21st, 2019, 7:34 am

I know ratsoalbion personally and he's a real "pants on one arm at a time" kind of guy so I'd take that as a big toe up for the new recruits.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 21st, 2019, 7:35 am

I mean, I’ve played a lot of these games sure, but I’m a bang average gamer, and quite old.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 21st, 2019, 7:39 am

ratsoalbion wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 7:28 am
I bought Rolling Gunner last night and got to the ‘extra’ final boss on my first credit on the easier mode.
Good stuff. Are you enjoying it? What do you think?

clippa

Post by clippa » June 21st, 2019, 7:44 am

What about all the odds about face turret control? I'm starting to think there might just be something wrong with me. I'm average and old and fat and smelly as well.

edit: "odds about face" isn't even a thing, that's how daft I am. What do I mean?

edit: "arse about face" according to google. Never heard the like, absolutely disgusting. This is the sickening modern world we're living in.

ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion » June 21st, 2019, 8:11 am

It’s a similar mechanic to a lot of old games so I found it fairly intuitive.

Early impressions are excellent.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 21st, 2019, 8:20 am

ratsoalbion wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 8:11 am
It’s a similar mechanic to a lot of old games so I found it fairly intuitive.
That'll be it. I'm a lot wetter behind the ears than I like to let on. It was a brand new thing to me in deathsmiles and that does a very good job of easing you into everything gently, controlling your familiar to gobble up suicide bullets only becomes a thing you have to worry about at the very fat end of that game.

edit: Just for balance, my early impressions were very good too but it revealed itself to be a lot more stringent than the games that seem to fit my own personal preference.
That's probably just bollocks, there's probably a lot more room to dance once you learn the moves. I just need to get good at moving the turrets around. My daffy brain is just taking more coaxing than other folk.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » June 21st, 2019, 3:42 pm

Big Shot Mark :lol:

clippa

Post by clippa » June 21st, 2019, 4:45 pm

He'll become modest Mark as soon as he replies to my private message on reddit. No time for the fans, absolutely disgusting behaviour.
I better stop doing that actually, people might think it's genuine and he gets enough flak from other flakes according to some of the stuff I've read.

It's daft the way reddit works, when you log in you'll see the notification thing, it'll be like the number 20, 19 of them might be people commenting on your comments and then 1 might be a private message, if you're active on there then it'd be really easy to miss messages.

That's what I try to tell myself, anyway. He replied to one of my comments! Oh, what a day!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » June 21st, 2019, 4:52 pm

@clipps: my no internet plans went tits up when I got some bug from a dodgy tikka sarnie, resulting in too many visits sat on the bog and my phone in hand, in between doubled over cramps. I think I’ve been fairly reasonable. I have drunk a lot of ale, too. The boy has only tried to off himself on a few occasions, other times settling for just harassing me and screaming for something he’s already got in his hands.

Back now, tonight I’ve got the stick back. Mint. Might play another Cave classic or just fire up Neko / Danmaku

clippa

Post by clippa » June 21st, 2019, 4:57 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 4:52 pm
tikka sarnie
Haha! That's the most geordie thing I've ever heard. Aw man, hope it didn't spoil your hols too much. Always nice to get back.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 21st, 2019, 5:11 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
June 21st, 2019, 4:52 pm
@clipps: my no internet plans went tits up when I got some bug from a dodgy tikka sarnie, resulting in too many visits sat on the bog and my phone in hand, in between doubled over cramps. I think I’ve been fairly reasonable. I have drunk a lot of ale, too. The boy has only tried to off himself on a few occasions, other times settling for just harassing me and screaming for something he’s already got in his hands.

Back now, tonight I’ve got the stick back. Mint. Might play another Cave classic or just fire up Neko / Danmaku
Outstanding post in every respect. :lol:

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 21st, 2019, 5:53 pm

A true British holiday. Well done mate.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 21st, 2019, 7:45 pm

A bomb! A bomb! My kingdom for a bomb!

https://streamable.com/rqrzw

Sooo close, I could almost smell it.
I realise that I was edging closer to those bullets rather than further away but I thought I'd better move a little bit or it'd look like I didn't know what the hell I was doing.

I was using the patented Stanshall method, hungover, knackered, 4 hours sleep, but no dice. Bad dance, as they say. Do they say that?

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » June 21st, 2019, 8:46 pm

Cheers :D I powered the switch on to find I was several stages in still on Danmaku which quickly ended as I obviously couldn’t immediately adjust. Secretly happy as now I get to quit and start again with the stick.

I just want to mention Overdriven: Reloaded again actually. It’s really decent and deserves to be played. Go for Arcade mode not Story Mode.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 22nd, 2019, 5:40 am

Great, now it's Blue Wish Resurrection Plus that is plagued by massive slowdowns right at the start and randomly crashes as soon as I enter basic menu options. :x

Two weeks ago it ran without a single issue! What a joke.

EDIT: This is maddening. I've turned all the options on and off one by one, I did the Windows "compatibilty troubleshoot" (as if that did anything), I've restarted my computer, I've even defragmented my HDD. And I have zero clue what's causing the game to run at 50% of its normal speed or to crash in the menu. Google has no idea either, of course.

Screw this. My stress meter is already maxed out from turning on the news, I don't need to deal with this nonsense. I'm going to do a quick RE4 replay to reinstate my busted save data and then I'm going to the park to chill with my ducks and read a nice book in the shade of an ancient beech. That's how I'm spending my Saturday.

Fuck "PC gaming".

clippa

Post by clippa » June 22nd, 2019, 4:17 pm

Your laptop is cursed, it's the only explanation.

I want to build you a cheap desktop, install mame and blue revolver and stuff, make sure everything is up to date and working perfectly and then send it to you, but you're in germany, aren't you? It'd probably cost more to deliver it.

How would you describe your laptop? Would it be the equivalent of someone buying a rusty old vectrex at a car boot sale, one of the buttons falling off, trying to stick a nes cart in there and grumbling "fuck console gaming!"?

Are you using windows 10 by any chance? There's a reason they were giving that away for free.

I dipped my tou back into touhou the other night, I couldn't be arsed to get my stick out and just wanted something I could play on the keyboard. This time I tried double dealing character, I suppose I'd best buy it now since I've had a few hours of fun already.
I did not hate it. I wasn't utterly bored, there was some really cheap bit near the end during the boss where they started flipping the screen back to front and upside down and your controls go wonky.