Shmups

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Michiel K

Re: Shmups

Post by Michiel K » June 25th, 2019, 8:56 pm

KSubzero1000 wrote:
June 24th, 2019, 2:38 pm
1CC'ing is definitely the universal gold standard of shmup achievements, which is why it gets mentioned so often. But it's also important to keep in mind that this is a surprisingly varied and complex genre that has a lot of different types of experiences to offer. Even if 1CC isn't your thing, you can still find plenty to enjoy and get lost into.
I like the way you think.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » June 25th, 2019, 9:50 pm

I finished Neko Navy!
Spoiler: show
No 1cc but I’m fucking chuffed. Focusing on this has been brilliant, I actually got to Day 7 comfortably within one credit (due to learning how to use bombs properly with the audio cues / circle filling) then some bastard pink homing whooshey missiles got the better of me, lives fell off like dead skin of a sudden but held my nerve and survived, losing more credits but seeing it through.

It feels like a decent reward, the game is not forgiving and you are thrown back to the start forced to learn it, to progress. I usually can’t be arsed with that sort of dynamic in games these days but this genre is doing weird things to me. I love it.

Now I can train on Day 7 to learn how to evade that shit and suss the lot, I will come back and get the 1cc... I really want it now. The game is such pure fun, everything about it really. Playable and happy. Beautiful. Thanks again Clippa for recommending this one. Had a dodgy start with it but it’s now my favourite shmup. And I’m not done with it by any means.

This thread and all you guys participating and sharing experiences, is such a massive part of this, it adds to the enjoyment and it spurs you on, gives you confidence. Here’s to you lot.

Just an Aldi bottle of Cava mind. I’m saving the Sainsbury’s champagne for the 1cc

clippa

Post by clippa » June 25th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Yeeees! Nice one, man! You'll be very pleased to learn that in the harder difficulties, your bomb gauge will be filling a lot quicker and a lot more often due to the increased number of enemies.

Example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j_SSCc0Rp4&t=13m10s

Listen to that "click, click, click, click, clicking" that's me desperately trying to set a bomb off when I don't have one :D

Love Neko Navy so much! Currently half price on steam if anyone's got 4 quid burning a hole in their pocket.

I remember those pink guided laser missile things, they're awful! Really tricky to dodge, you have to let them follow you for a while and switch direction at the last minute. It's a nightmare when the boss shoots one and you're leading it away and then they shoot a few more and you're like "Aaaaaaaaargh!"

The game is quite generous with giving extends at certain score milestones. It might seem counter-intuitive, but it might be an idea to move up to the normal difficulty now that you've bedded in. More scoring potential equals more lives and a better chance of making it through. Might be worth a try.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » June 26th, 2019, 6:45 am

Yeah I just need practice with it, luckily with Day 7 training available I can go straight to that boss and practice evading the missiles.

Since using more bombs and collecting the gold things that they generate when they kill stuff, my score rocketed and I did get a load more lives. I had 5 lives at one point which seems to be the max?

My last run had those clicks too. You were evading very well though!

It was my mate Si who told me to smash the bombs and that it would change everything, as he'd done this in his game and got himself a lovely 1cc. I recommended the game to him, so it's a bit like Stanshall / Ksub Ikaruga scenario. He's a fellow n00b and has put less time into the game than me!

clippa

Post by clippa » June 26th, 2019, 6:49 am

clippa wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 2:07 am
I don't think there are many regulars here who play on pc, but I'll recommend some of the discounted shmups if anyone's interested.
Well, I did it for the shmups subreddit and converted it to bbcode for resetera so I may as well paste it in here. You never know, there might be a couple of nerdy lurkers cowering in the shadows.
Spoiler: show
Not everything but a decent list to pick through if you're looking for a bargain in the steam sale.

Blue Revolver
eXceed 3rd - Jade Penetrate Black Package
Mushihimesama --¦¦-- 1.5 dlc
DoDonPachi DaiFukkatsu
Deathsmiles
Eschatos and Judgement Silversword Bundle
The Hurricane of The Varstray --¦¦-- Threat of Third Force DLC
Bullet Soul: Infinite Burst
Jet Buster
Neko Navy
Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo
Steel Vampire
Crimzon Clover
Danmaku Unlimited 2
Space Moth DX
ZeroRanger
Danmaku Unlimited 3
Bullet heaven 2
Fire Arrow Plus
Graze Counter
Zenodyne R
Trouble Witches
The Void Rains Upon Her Heart
Armed Seven
QP Shooting Dangerous
Super Galaxy Squadron EX Turbo
Tenta Shooter
Barrage Musical ~A Fantasy of Tempest~
Dariusburst
Shikhondo
Earth Defense Force 4.1 Wingdiver The Shooter
Space Invaders Extreme
Game Tongoku CruisinMix
Psyvariar
Refrain Prism Memories
Raiden IV

Top down shooter roguelite, but is often thrown into the shmup category- Monolith

clippa

Post by clippa » June 26th, 2019, 6:55 am

hazeredmist wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 6:45 am
I had 5 lives at one point which seems to be the max?
I'd go along with that, just scrubbed through a couple of my runs and the life count never got to six.
hazeredmist wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 6:45 am
It was my mate Si who told me to smash the bombs and that it would change everything, as he'd done this in his game and got himself a lovely 1cc. I recommended the game to him, so it's a bit like Stanshall / Ksub Ikaruga scenario. He's a fellow n00b and has put less time into the game than me!
Ha, oh my, that's infuriating. I can remember the good old days when Stanshall was crap, it only seems like yesterday.
Mate, believe me when I tell you that I was as bad as anyone could possibly be at these games. So long as you're having fun, keep playing and you'll earn it!

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » June 26th, 2019, 7:53 am

I don't think I'm ever going to be hitting the highest highs you guys do with scores, I don't think I'm twitch skilled enough but with Neko there has been massive progression as it wasn't that long back I was feeling quite put off by the difficulty and constantly losing credits & being chucked back to the beginning. I'm sure I posted here about it, it felt like a wall I might never scale. It seems obvious to me now that one of the secrets with these games is repetition and learning - again something I thought I was allergic to with current gaming habits, but it was probably Binding of Isaac that made me realise I actually like that when the game grabs me the right way.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 26th, 2019, 6:21 pm

hazeredmist wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 7:53 am
it wasn't that long back I was feeling quite put off by the difficulty and constantly losing credits & being chucked back to the beginning. I'm sure I posted here about it, it felt like a wall I might never scale.
And you nailed it. Great progress mate. It's great to have that game that gets its hooks into you. You've got momentum now. That's what I really find is the beauty of these games, your effort is always rewarded in the end so long as you're enjoying it. You'll also find that most shmups you make progress with will help you when you play others. I'm sure you'll peg back your mate, as well. You can be the KSub in that scenario!

And on that note...
clippa wrote:
June 25th, 2019, 2:07 am
Slightly worried that your introducing me to the more risky mechanics and blowing my first stage score out of the water is purely a ruse to slow me down and keep that 1cc out of reach. Pretty sure the toasters been looking at me funny as well, need to get that looked into.
I'm going to continue my ruse because I've been really enjoying hammering that first stage of Futari. Here's my route. Starts off well, probably my best run up to the mid boss and then I bottle it a bit in the second half and just want to bank the good start. Gems and enemies left on the table but it's progress. Having a ball with it. Get your conk right up there, that's my motto.

https://youtu.be/z709BNaLMes

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 26th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Stanshall wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 6:21 pm
You can be the KSub in that scenario!
This allegory is getting surreal. What the hell am I even reading? :lol:

Anyway, progression is slow on my end. I haven't had much time and/or motivation to play a lot these past few days and I'm still stuck on BL Stage 3 in my journey towards the Futari 1CC. I think I need to know when to bomb because some of these patterns are giving me a lot of trouble, especially in the second half (provided I even get that far). The isopods who just inundate the screen with uncancellable bullets usually spell the end of my run. I might have to study some vids.

clippa

Post by clippa » June 26th, 2019, 7:11 pm

Stanshall wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 6:21 pm
https://youtu.be/z709BNaLMes
Beastly! I didn't even know you could get the counter that high so early on! You've made a grave error posting this, Mr Bond. I'll be stealing all your moves and consistently failing to execute them in the future.

I have some very exciting news to announce. I am now uploading a video to youtube on my terrible internet connection. Can you guess what it might be?
Here's an exclusive sneak peak at one of the highlights.

https://streamable.com/d0135

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 26th, 2019, 7:45 pm

clippa wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 7:11 pm
I have some very exciting news to announce. Can you guess what it might be?
Wowzers. You got there with four lives?! If you don't bomb your way through that old crow, I'll be raging on your behalf...Looks like you're going to crush my score!
KSubzero1000 wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 6:44 pm
This allegory is getting surreal. What the hell am I even reading? :lol:

Anyway, progression is slow on my end. I haven't had much time and/or motivation to play a lot these past few days and I'm still stuck on BL Stage 3 in my journey towards the Futari 1CC. I think I need to know when to bomb because some of these patterns are giving me a lot of trouble, especially in the second half (provided I even get that far). The isopods who just inundate the screen with uncancellable bullets usually spell the end of my run. I might have to study some vids.
Hehe, you were both the tortoise and the hare in our race.

And yep, second half of stage 3 is the roadblock. Once you get past that, you'll find yourself flying through stage 4 even if it's pretty intense. It's just more predictable and manageable. Stage 5 is pretty tough again but there are very few moments like the overlapping angles and patterns of the last third of stage 3. After the midboss, I basically hold focus shot the entire time and take advantage of the slowdown as much as I possibly can. There's no harm in using two bombs to get you through the chaos to the boss and another two to get you onto stage four. There are plenty of bombs available as you go along, plus an extend at 100m and a 'secret' 1-Up in stage 5, so effectively another six bombs. My mistake is wanting to hold on and dodge through when a bomb is almost always the best option.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » June 26th, 2019, 9:35 pm

No 1cc yet but played more Neko and things are ramping up. My mate has now cleared it on hard mode.

As for me, I got to the Day 6 boss on hard mode, no clear but topped the leaderboard (shame there’s no online leaderboard mind).

Then tried Death for a laugh. Got to Day 4, and managed to activate URA mode at the end of day 1 somehow, which seems to remix the stages. I got this URA mode on 2, 3 and 4 - and on 3, saw a boss I hadn’t seen yet who was NAILS. Absolutely nails! Beat it but lost all my credits and quickly got a game over on Day 4 URA.

Guess what my mate said. “How did you get that?” - he had no idea how to get this URA and hadn’t seen it but he’d seen the achievement listed and was trying to get it himself. Got that one at least then eh? Ha!

clippa

Post by clippa » June 26th, 2019, 10:42 pm

That's a weird omission since the steam version has leaderboards, but the switch version has the added endless mode, so it's a fair trade.
You can check your score on the steam leaderboards here to see where you fit in if you want to get an idea of how well you're doing.

Man, my scores have been knocked down something rotten since I last looked :(
There's a melee only fish character you can unlock that's really hard to use but you can get crazy scores with. I'm hoping everyone above me is using the fish or I'll be gutted, you can see which character they're using in game but not on steam.

You tried the endless mode yet? Wish that would get patched into the pc version, they're usually not very well balanced but still a lot of fun. I suppose it's an incentive for folk to double dip so that's probably why it's been kept exclusive to the switch version.

The ura tickets spawn if you reach a certain score. If you score more than 100,000,000 on the first stage, for example. It can spawn in easy mode, but the scoring potential is low so it's a lot harder to do.

If you're seeing the ura tickets then it's a sure sign that you're doing it right!
Stanshall wrote:
June 26th, 2019, 7:45 pm
If you don't bomb your way through that old crow, I'll be raging on your behalf
Yeah, after those deaths, I wasn't taking any chances.
No fancyboy sexy wiggle dodging this time round, not after the dark week of turmoil I've endured with this effing game. Bomb, bomb, bomb.
A pretty laid back first stage too, it was my first game of the day so I was just arsing around and warming up at first.

I'd love to tell you that I tore off my shirt and swaggered up and down the landing like Robbie Williams after his first pint of cocaines, but my heart was in my mouth. I didn't even feel relief, I just sat there frozen stiff. Don't think it's sunk in yet. It might hit me later. I'll wake up in the middle of the night and run around the house in my trolleys squeaking like a girly mouse.

Black label is so much fun, I want to try and see if I get through 1.5 now but I might just keep playing this for a while yet.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » June 27th, 2019, 3:35 am

Wow, congrats! :o

clippa

Post by clippa » June 27th, 2019, 6:48 am

Thanks, man! I feel like a weights been lifted getting that 1cc out the way. That one pixel defeat seems like years ago now.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » June 27th, 2019, 7:28 am

Well done! Some serious achievements going on here. That game looks absolutely rock.

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K » June 27th, 2019, 7:29 am

I have been playing Futari 1.5 Original for the longest, but never got the 1CC. I feel like I’ve been overtaken, but I’m inspired to actually put some time into Black Label and see if I can repeat your feats.

In other news, I’ve managed to save some lunch money to buy Rolling Gunner in the Switch eShop and I’ve enjoyed dipping my toes in quite a bit. I played a credit of Original mode and 2 of Casual mode. So far, the dynamics and play mechanics are highly reminiscent of Death Smiles, in that you max out a score item counter to 1000, before you go into a powered up mode to nab the bigger score items. Fun stuff and pretty accessible.

hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist » June 27th, 2019, 7:37 am

Jamestown+ is £2.49 on PSN right now, figured it was worth a punt at that price!

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » June 27th, 2019, 8:17 am

Bravo, mon clip! Bravo! Gonna be in the terrordome for about eight days now but I'll have a proper watch when I get chance.

Michiel, I really like 1.5 but BL is a much more fun and chaotic mode to me. Glad you're enjoying Rolling Gunner so far. It's great to have a modern Cave style game without all the teddy bear stuff to contend with.

And haze, definitely worth a good go. Interesting C&R issue on Jamestown, too, sparked some debate when it aired!

clippa

Post by clippa » June 27th, 2019, 8:17 am

Yeah, was just talking about that on resetera. It's definitely the version to get, the pc version was abandoned by the devs and it never goes on sale nowadays.

Michiel, I found black label definitely more forgiving, and it's really good practice for 1.5. With the slower bullets, it lets you get more confident and that translates back over to 1.5.
I haven't played 1.5 for a week or so now, but I'm sure that was my experience. I'll have to fire it up today at some point and make sure I'm not talking bollocks.

edit: Thanks Stanshall!