Everybody's favorite GBA titles

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Toon Scottoon

Everybody's favorite GBA titles

Post by Toon Scottoon »

I've never played a GBA game, but Switch has me loving portable systems and it sounds like I missed out on some true classics. A couple questions I figured forum members could help me out on.

GBA SP or DS Lite? I imagine just because it's newer and I love my New 2DS the DS Lite is the way to go, but I really don't know.

What games do I have to play? My current list is...
Fire Emblem Sacred Stones
Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap (Although I hear there are a lot of counterfeit carts with bad batteries in them)
Mother 3 (English translation cart)

I'm sure there are more that I'm missing.

Thanks C and R Fam
Alex79

Re: Everybody's favorite GBA titles

Post by Alex79 »

Personally, I loved the GBA SP, so I'd say that. It was so perfectly pocket sized and built to last forever. Some stand out titles for me were:

Super Mario World
Mario Vs Donkey Kong
Advance Wars
Zelda: The Minish Cap
Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga
The Castlevania games
Warioware Twisted something...
Golden Sun

Erm, God its years since I had one, I can't remember very many any more!

Oh - Mario Kart Super Circuit was great I always thought, too.

There was a brilliant platformer shooter called Astro Boy or something I can't quite remember, but that was a lot of fun too.
Suits

Post by Suits »

As someone who is also currently playing a lot of GBA titles, I can attest to the wealth of options and experiences that now lay before you.

Firstly, hardware.

This is pretty important. For me, there’s no other generation or, system that varies so much in it’s delivery of software than the GBA.

The initial GBA, sadly, has the best form I think but the poorest display, not being backlite or having any sort of screen light makes it unusable in many environments.

The SP is a big jump forward, there are two versions of it, the AGS-001 and the AGS-101. The first having a front mounted light just below the screen that lights it and makes it playing in most internal environments. The latter being a full on backlit LCD screen that is glorious and playable in pretty much all environment apart from the middle of summer outside.

I’m not sure where you are based but if you can get hold, or already have a AGS-101 then this is the best way to play GBA games – I think (it’s what I use).

The other option and probably the best overall, all things considered, is a DS Lite – as you suggest.

They are cheap to pick up, have a great from factor, headphone jack, stereo speakers and decent backlit LCD screen. The only downside compared to the AGS-101 is that the aspect ratio is slightly squished and the colour warmth is a touch cooler.

Set up the Ds to display on the top screen as it’s a little sharper without the capacitive layer and you’re away, a great, accessible way to play GBA games.

Games, well there’s loads.

I’ll happily recommend Metroid Fusion as being a compelling experience and I’m currently ten hours into Sword of Mana and enjoying that a great deal.

There’s a title for most moods, really, so you might be better off picking a genre and asking for recommendations on that.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

I never gave GBA enough love at the time, despite owning one of the lovely NES limited edition SPs (which was stupidly sold years ago!).

I do remember having a lot of fun with Advance Wars, Mario Kart Super Circuit and Sonic Advance though which I can recommend without reservation!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Astro Boy: Omega Factor
Ninja Cop (aka Ninja 5-O)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Great topic. The GBA is my second favourite platform after the GameCube, and I'm glad to see people take an interest in it nowadays. You won't be disappointed!

Suits' hardware breakdown is excellent. The only thing I would probably disagree with is that I would recommend using the NDS Lite overall if you have the choice. The headphone jack will be a blessing when playing outside, the top screen is more than satisfactory, and you'll be able to play NDS games on it, too. But an AGS-101 SP is a great choice as well, it's what I use at the moment. Can't go wrong with either.

As far as games go, there's a treasure trove of goodness waiting for you.

Fire Emblem: Blazing Sword & Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones are both amazing. Sacred Stones is probably a bit more player-friendly if you're new to the series, but I strongly feel that Blazing Sword is the superior game overall. Best game in the series for my money and an absolute must-play if you're interested in the genre. Blazing Sword is this one, for the record:

It was the first one released in the West and didn't get a subtitle as a result. I would also like to mention the existence of Fire Emblem: Binding Blade which is fantastic as well, but unfortunately never made it outside of Japan.

Golden Sun & Golden Sun: The Lost Age are basically Disc 1 and Disc 2 of the same giant game. If you're looking for a cute, wholesome RPG with a charming art style, endearing characters and surprisingly substantial puzzle elements, don't miss out on Golden Sun. Another must-play.

Metroid: Fusion & Metroid: Zero Mission are the best 2D Metroid games in my opinion. No disrespect intended to SM, but the buttery smooth controls of the GBA titles are simply impeccable. The series' traditional gameplay loop of exploration, item hunt, boss fights, etc... is all there and shouldn't be missed.

Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance & Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow are also great picks if you like the SotN formula, with AoS in particular being one of the best games in the series. There was also Castlevania: Circle of the Moon released before the other two. It's supposed to be really good and more old-school in its design, although I haven't played it.

Advance Wars & Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising are also great if you like turn-based tactics games. Wargroove would be a reference point of a very similar game released a few weeks ago.

Then all the obvious classics, like Pokémon FireRed and LeafGreen (as well as Ruby and Sapphire), The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Kirby and the Amazing Mirror, and the Super Mario Advance series should be mentioned as well.

Have fun! :P
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

The GBA: SP is great in theory, but uncomfortable to hold after long periods and no earphone jack which is barmy! I use the original GBA the most, with a worm light. Pretty decent :)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

GBA Micro or DS Lite says I.
Or GameCube GB Player!
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I'd love a Micro again actually. although I did miss the option of using OG Game Boy games on it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I had a Gameboy advance when I had an ill fated job working as a bed shop manager. It was the quietest shop in the world so I used to spend hours playing it. I think Street Fighter 2(great shock!), Mario Kart and Final Fight were my go to's.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh yeah, Street Fighter Alpha 3 I forgot about! Genuinely great, despite being on Gameboy!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This might come in handy, if you go for the SP.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gameboy-Advanc ... B002JEUDX4
Suits

Post by Suits »

KSubzero1000 wrote: March 7th, 2019, 9:36 am Suits' hardware breakdown is excellent. The only thing I would probably disagree with is that I would recommend using the NDS Lite overall if you have the choice.
Yeah man, that was my overall recommendation too, all things considered - it’s just maybe not the ideal.

The shape of the pixels on the DS are slightly elongated compared to the original GBA pixels that Nintendo built for the GBA, so the image is slightly squeewed from OEM because of it. We’re talking properly being picky now mind.

I also noticed rather a big difference between DS Lite models that I tested in terms of colour warmth, none of which being as vivid as the AGS-101.

Like I said, these are crazy minute details, but interesting non the less I think 👍🏽.

The Micro is a great piece of tech, it’s just a little too small I think, built for our Eastern friends 😎.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

My list:

Final Fantasy V (by far the best version available in North America and Eurovision)
Final Fantasy VI (also the best version, but possibly redundant if you already have the SNES version)
Pokemon Pinball Ruby/Sapphire (a surprisingly deep pinball game where the "catch 'em all" hook keeps it interesting for many hours)
Mother 3 (but I'd avoid repro carts and opt for emulation instead, the repros are often of dubious quality)
Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen (probably the best in the series, with a blazing fast framerate keeping the pacing strong)
Mega Man Zero 1-4 (all very good, but also brutally hard - start with the first one; or opt for the DS compilation)
Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (not quite as good as the DS titles, but it'll keep you hooked for the run time)
Metroid Fusion (Zero Mission is good too, but Fusion remains the best in the series for me)
Wario Ware: Twisted (Won't work well on a GC or Retron for obvious reasons, but possibly the best in the series)
Golden Sun 1 and Lost Age (I've never finished these, but they are very well made and have strong production values)
Zoids: Legacy (this is not a "good game", per se, but it's dirt cheap and a lot of fun - lots of interesting mechanics and surprisingly good time travel slash alternate dimensions merging story - Zoids as a series has tons of great lore to work with)
Mega Man Battle Network (I'm not sure how well they've aged, but these games are a really goofy take on "30 seconds into the future" sci-fi)

I also highly recommend playing these games with either a great pair of headphones or on a TV sound system - a surprising number of GBA games have some amazing compositions that you simply cannot hear properly through the GBA speakers. Like, Mega Man Zero has this earth-shattering bass to most of its music and sound design, and you'll never hear it on the tinny GBA speakers.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Has anyone had an original GBA modded with a backlit screen?
Suits

Post by Suits »

hazeredmist wrote: March 7th, 2019, 2:27 pm Has anyone had an original GBA modded with a backlit screen?
Literally in the process of making one.

Bought myself a soldering iron and I have a stack of GBA’s with the aim to make a battery cell’d, AGS-101 screened GBA.

Biggest issue is getting hold of a genuine screen - Zed Labs don’t have any left.

Sooooo, I’m getting a replica one that I’m going to put in and compare it to my 101 and see how it comes out.

Rabbit holes - I’m down them 🥴.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Suits wrote: March 7th, 2019, 3:31 pm
hazeredmist wrote: March 7th, 2019, 2:27 pm Has anyone had an original GBA modded with a backlit screen?
Literally in the process of making one.

Bought myself a soldering iron and I have a stack of GBA’s with the aim to make a battery cell’d, AGS-101 screened GBA.

Biggest issue is getting hold of a genuine screen - Zed Labs don’t have any left.

Sooooo, I’m getting a replica one that I’m going to put in and compare it to my 101 and see how it comes out.

Rabbit holes - I’m down them 🥴.
Sweet! Keen to hear how this goes... I may seek to hire your services should it work :P
Suits

Post by Suits »

It’s just a bit of fun really and ‘appears’ to be fairly straight forward 😄😄.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Adding a backlight to a GBA used to be a pretty tricky soldering job, maybe it’s gotten easier with newer mods.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I never really get into JRPGs but the Mario and Luigi series works for me.

Also, Golden Sun I remember being fantastic

I might be bias but Sabrewulf is great too