Everybody's favorite GBA titles

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
stvnorman

Re: Everybody's favorite GBA titles

Post by stvnorman »

V-Rally 3 was my favourite. Still feels great to drive today!

Had a great time with Mario Kart Super Circuit and F-Zero Maximum Velocity too. And now I’m properly thinking about it, Kelly Slater’s Pro Surfer, Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 and all the Castlevania games.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I’d second (or third) the DS as the ideal GBA device. Nice backlit screen and headphone jack with option to play DS games too.

Think most games have been mentioned already but I have a soft spot for Rhythm Tengoku. I almost got tempted to try and get the English translation mod someone made onto the cart but bottled it at the last minute.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

hazeredmist wrote: March 7th, 2019, 2:27 pm Has anyone had an original GBA modded with a backlit screen?
No, but a lot of places actually sell these now. Game Hoard - a small chain with 3 stores in the western GTA (that's Greater Toronto Area for y'all non-Canadians) - will have them made on demand, because they literally have boxes of Model 1 GBAs. Microplay in Newmarket, ON sells them at retail, but they're like $150 and I think they're externally sourced off TaoBao or something. I think Iceman (Peterborough) and Game Mania (Toronto) sell them now too.

What I wanna know is... Are there any high-quality audio mods for the GBA? Cuz if there is, dis boi wanna embark on GBA molding project.
Toon Scottoon

Post by Toon Scottoon »

Thanks for all the great advice guys, especially you Suits, for the hardware deep dive. Always feel lucky that I found such a warm and helpful community.

Can’t wait to start messing around with these gems.

Another question

Has anyone played the DS Golden Sun game? I’d never heard of the franchise until this thread, but the series sounds like it's got the potential to be a winner, despite the random encounters, which I don't prefer. I’m fine diving in with the GBA cart, but Gamestop has a buy 2 get one free sale on used DS and 3DS carts at the moment.

Also, while I’m on the subject of DS carts, any thoughts on Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon? Same sale applies. I played Awakenings and really got on with it. Followed it up with Fates, and although I liked a lot of the character designs I didn’t care for much else.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Toon Scottoon wrote: March 8th, 2019, 5:27 am Thanks for all the great advice guys, especially you Suits, for the hardware deep dive. Always feel lucky that I found such a warm and helpful community.

Can’t wait to start messing around with these gems.

Another question

Has anyone played the DS Golden Sun game? I’d never heard of the franchise until this thread, but the series sounds like it's got the potential to be a winner, despite the random encounters, which I don't prefer. I’m fine diving in with the GBA cart, but Gamestop has a buy 2 get one free sale on used DS and 3DS carts at the moment.

Also, while I’m on the subject of DS carts, any thoughts on Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon? Same sale applies. I played Awakenings and really got on with it. Followed it up with Fates, and although I liked a lot of the character designs I didn’t care for much else.
Golden Sun DS is generally regarded as a bit disappointing, but also underrated. It sold like shit on bad press, but it was never a bad game.

The Fire Emblem on DS, however, is kinda crap. It's the second remake of the first one, and it's not even as good as the first remake. Avoid it. Fire Emblem 4 and Echoes are probably the best titles in the series.
MajorGamer

Post by MajorGamer »

Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced was great despite the annoying judges.
All of the Mega Man Zero games, though the first has a horrible lives system.
No GBA game list of mine can be complete without mentioning Mother 3. It would go near or at the top of any top games list I'd make.
Toon Scottoon wrote: March 8th, 2019, 5:27 am Has anyone played the DS Golden Sun game? I’d never heard of the franchise until this thread, but the series sounds like it's got the potential to be a winner, despite the random encounters, which I don't prefer. I’m fine diving in with the GBA cart, but Gamestop has a buy 2 get one free sale on used DS and 3DS carts at the moment.
The GBA ones are cool, just know that the two games are essentially one giant game with a cliffhanger ending to the first one. The DS one is not so good. Without getting into specifics, they tried to do the same story across two-games here but felt very half-assed. It didn't help that just about every puzzle in the game has your party members explicitly tell you the solution before you have a chance to do it yourself.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Magical_Isopod wrote: March 8th, 2019, 5:23 am What I wanna know is... Are there any high-quality audio mods for the GBA? Cuz if there is, dis boi wanna embark on GBA molding project.
Retro Modding do in the US.

They offer a speaker upgrade pack, which doubles the DB and offers much higher and lower tones with its improved speaker.

Worth looking into as it makes a massive difference 👍🏽.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Suits wrote: March 8th, 2019, 7:49 am
Magical_Isopod wrote: March 8th, 2019, 5:23 am What I wanna know is... Are there any high-quality audio mods for the GBA? Cuz if there is, dis boi wanna embark on GBA molding project.
Retro Modding do in the US.

They offer a speaker upgrade pack, which doubles the DB and offers much higher and lower tones with its improved speaker.

Worth looking into as it makes a massive difference 👍🏽.
Tres bien, I know I've seen the Model 1 GBAs kicking around pawn shops and game stores for like $10... In various states of grime, but modders can't be choosers, as they say in the bible. I'll probably pick a couple up to throw on the "mentally stimulating projects" pile.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Magical_Isopod wrote: March 8th, 2019, 7:55 am I'll probably pick a couple up to throw on the "mentally stimulating projects" pile.
I’ve been digging about quite a lot regards mk1 projects.

I have a quite a few bits and pieces now, also the right tools which are massively important.

I only have one AGS-101 screen though and it’s hard to get more.

The problem I’m at now, or rather the thing that’s got me procrastinating, is that if I’m going to do it, I should do not only do the screen but the battery cell, speaker, etc.....

There’s a few places, like you suggest that will build them for you - even here in the UK and I’m tempted to just go with something like that as opposed to ruin my only screen.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Toon Scottoon wrote: March 8th, 2019, 5:27 am Has anyone played the DS Golden Sun game? I’d never heard of the franchise until this thread, but the series sounds like it's got the potential to be a winner, despite the random encounters, which I don't prefer. I’m fine diving in with the GBA cart, but Gamestop has a buy 2 get one free sale on used DS and 3DS carts at the moment.
Golden Sun Dark Dawn on NDS is a clear step back from the GBA game(s), although I don't think it's as bad as it's reputation would lead you to believe. It's a perfectly enjoyable, albeit flawed JRPG in its own right. Its main issue is that it's trying to follow in the footsteps of some of the greatest games in the genre and doesn't really live up to their legacy. One thing I feel strongly about is that you probably shouldn't play it before or instead of the first two. I'd recommend playing the GBA game(s) first and then, if you still want more, maybe check out the NDS game with modest expectations.

Toon Scottoon wrote: March 8th, 2019, 5:27 am Also, while I’m on the subject of DS carts, any thoughts on Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon? Same sale applies. I played Awakenings and really got on with it. Followed it up with Fates, and although I liked a lot of the character designs I didn’t care for much else.
Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon is a very rough and bare-boned remake of the very first FE game. It's not a bad game either, but doesn't stand out in any way and never really reaches the heights of others in the series. It's also very old-school in its design philosophy. I haven't heard many people who consider it to be their favorite in the series.

The thing about FE is that there is a very clear divide between the classic era and the post-Awakening era and that people who prefer one style tend to bounce off of the other. Not many people who started with Awakening appreciate the older games or even have any interest in trying them out. So I'm glad to hear you're consider it, at least!

In any case, I think you'd be better served starting with either Blazing Sword or Sacred Stones on the GBA and forgetting all you know about Awakening. It's a very different type of game, but in my opinion, far superior. I'll be more than happy to provide help along the way if necessary. :)
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I also would like to make a case for early releases Kuru Kuru Kururin and Konami Krazy Racers.

EDIT: I also quite like FE: Shadow Dragon on DS. Being a remake of the first game in the series it's a bit basic, but it also does nothing wrong. Just solid tactics, with none of the grind enabling b.s. of games like Sacred Stones and Awakening. Yuck.