E3 2019 - Conference times and general chat

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Flabyo

Re: E3 2019 - Conference times and general chat

Post by Flabyo »

Because of course Neo is in Cyberpunk (I’m still hoping they have Ciri in there as well, trust me, it would be in canon)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Keanu Fucking Reeves! Haha man I love that guy. This is a great show!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Keanu's a total cutie.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

They've done a good job so far of convincing me I need to buy and Xbox and Gamepass.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

As with most people it seems, I like Keanu very much, but personally I hate the stunt casting of recognisable actors in games because it takes me right out of the world.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Totally agree, Leon. It's part of the reason I'm not especially excited about Death Stranding. While Stefanie Joosten looks very much like Quiet, I'd never seen her before in my life!

Personally most interested in the MS Flight Sim so far. It looks very relaxing.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

12 Minutes seems like the type of high-concept stuff that could either be absolutely amazing with the proper direction or some David Cage-style debacle. But it looks interesting so far.

Edit: Oh, and yeah. I don't like this insistence on shoe-horning the likenesses of real actors into games these days either. It reeks of an undue need for mainstream acceptance and defeats the purpose of computer-generated character models.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I thought that looked really interesting. And now Lego Forza, haha! Pretty impressed with this conference.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

That was a genuine surprise. Lego Forza looks beautifully daft.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Brave old Tales of, still hanging in there. :)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oooooooh shit Miyazaki!
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The "leaks" were real, what a surprise! :P
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Pretty cool conference overall. There weren't that many heavy-hitters for my personal tastes, but I like how Microsoft have learned to put the games front and center because ultimately, that's what people really care about.

I didn't care all that much for all the tech fetishism of their new console, but what caught my attention was the mention of "four generations of games" being playable on the system. If that means that it will come with full backwards compatibility with Xbox Originals, 360 & XBO games right out of the box, then that's definitely a fantastic selling point. I might even jump back on-board the Xbox train depending on how Halo Infinite turns out to be.

I sincerely hope Sony's taking notes. Or even Nintendo, for that matter.

PS: No DMC5 DLC, though. :(
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Obsidian’s new one had a very Fallout vibe to it, and there’s also Wasteland 3. So it’ll be nice and easy to forget that Fallout 76 ever existed... hehe.

Pleased I have gamepass, lot of good stuff will be on there (and Metro Exodus? Surprised that didn’t get a bigger crowd response, that thing isn’t very old at all).

12 Minutes is yet another experimental game that Annapurna are publishing. They’ve not had a dud yet so... fingers crossed.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

It looks like the Bethesda conference was pretty underwhelming. I'm all in on Doom Eternal but all they really showed was the release date, We had already had 2 gameplay videos last year.

What are everyone's thoughts on Blair Witch? I thought it was going to be a new Alan Wake game at first and was very surprised when it revealed the Blair Witch logo. I love horror games and was instantly pretty excited for it but I've just found out it will only be £25 which leads me to believe it will either be pretty short or just generally lacking.
countstex

Post by countstex »

That Blair Witch game looked interesting. Did anyone else get the sense that when you die you start over again, well obviously you can do that in any game, but I mean like it felt the game was based around that.
countstex

Post by countstex »

Really likes Microsofts drive and direction at the moment. That GamePass Ultimate is perfect for me, and the games coming look very interesting. As a long time fan of Double Fine I'm glad to see them get some good backing.
Little disappointed Ninja Theory have gone for a multilayer game, not what I'm looking for from them but whatever.
Might actually have to get an Elite Controller, the old one had rave reviews and this looks like a substantial improvement.
And whilst I agree with Leon on stunt celeb placement in games at least this just looks like a cherry on the top of the Cyberpunk cake, whilst Death Stranding looks like it's built around the celebs.
All in all glad to see MS staying on course, though would have liked to see more concrete things about Project Scarlet. Still the numbers sound impressive and Ray Tracing is a gimmick that will have far more impact than resolution jumps or anything we've seen in recent years. More so than HDR too I'd say.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Was expecting/hoping to find out what Halo Infinite is and maybe see some gameplay.

I wonder if you'll have to have the new console to play it.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I wonder what repercussions all these services will have on game development - money all sourced from the big service providers? There's even less motivation to buy something at launch now, so have the big storefronts seen their day?
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 9th, 2019, 9:37 pm I like Keanu very much, but personally I hate the stunt casting of recognisable actors in games because it takes me right out of the world.
What about casting recognisable actors in movies?

When I was a teenager I used to delight in telling my friends, you're not watching that character, you're watching Robert DeNiro innit? Surprised I had any friends tbh :D