E3 2019 - Conference times and general chat

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: E3 2019 - Conference times and general chat

Post by Alex79 »

Where are people watching the EA stream? Shame we don't have a Twitch channel to broadcast it on, we could have had live chat underneath it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Flabyo wrote: June 8th, 2019, 4:47 pm Here’s an actual schedule for what EA are doing

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... right-here

Which is good, cause it means I can watch the Star Wars stuff then turn it off. Hehe.
In a way I wish I hadn't seen the schedule, because I like the surprises. On the other hand, I'm not going to waste my time watching it now, nothing there that really interests me. It's not really a very exciting line up, is it!?
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I think EA are in need of a new direction so maybe its for the best if they have a year off
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

dezm0nd wrote: June 8th, 2019, 5:21 pm I think EA are in need of a new direction so maybe its for the best if they have a year off
This stream is going to be three hours long... that’s hardly a year off...
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

So Jedi Fallen Order looks a lot like it could’ve been called Force Unleashed 3 and no one would’ve complained.

Some nice nods to Rogue One here, looks like it’s going to be set in the period just before that.

But it all seems so... safe. No risks taken at all. I was hoping for more.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

Flabyo wrote: June 8th, 2019, 5:50 pm So Jedi Fallen Order looks a lot like it could’ve been called Force Unleashed 3 and no one would’ve complained.

Some nice nods to Rogue One here, looks like it’s going to be set in the period just before that.

But it all seems so... safe. No risks taken at all. I was hoping for more.
Exactly what I thought. It was very underwhelming. The environmental traversal looks better but the combat doesn't look as good as TFU.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Some vaguely interesting things coming to Apex legends, the second season battlepass seems like something that’s actually worth paying for this time.

But now I’m out. No interest in battlefield 5, fifa, madden or the sims.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Flabyo wrote: June 8th, 2019, 5:27 pm
dezm0nd wrote: June 8th, 2019, 5:21 pm I think EA are in need of a new direction so maybe its for the best if they have a year off
This stream is going to be three hours long... that’s hardly a year off...
Three hours long but they've got approximately one new game.

In terms of the company's future it certainly feels like a more relaxed affair much like Sony
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

True. This is the most risk averse I think I’ve ever seen EA being.

In previous years they’ve thrown a vaguely indie bone with things like Unravel, but this year it’s just a very safe looking Star Wars game and a bunch of sequels to all the things they have that are already guaranteed to do well for them.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Jedi looked cool. Fun, solid looking combat that I think might have more going on than meets the eye. Like it looks like there's some directional attack/parrying thing going on, and there was a little bit of mixing force powers together that looked fun. Otherwise a pretty straightforward Uncharted-like but with a Star Wars skin. Which, honestly, I'm totally fine with. Although I think I heard somewhere that this game would have more open levels to explore, so it's kind of a shame that didn't seem to be there. Although it still might be, and they've yet to reveal it. Oh, and I liked the prominence of music backing the gameplay too. One thing that was great about the original films, that I think often gets overlooked, is how they weaved the visuals and music together so well. It almost felt like the visuals were made to fit the music, rather than the other way around. I'm glad they decided to pick up on that in this game.

I'm not sure I really agree on it being a "safe" game exactly, or even that it works as a Force Unleashed 3. For the former, I'd say from the perspective of the publisher at least, the idea of doing a story-focused single player action adventure sounds very risky. Of course that's foolish of them, but this is the kind of game big publishers avoid like the plague these days, unless they are platform holders. As for the Force Unleashed thing, I think those games are more characterised by being really over-the-top and toying around with physics a lot. As well as a generally edgy tone to them. This looks like it's being more grounded, and being more conventional with its presentation. While I have a soft spot for the silliness of the TFU games, this is cool too. Those games tended to also have a lot of jank involved, which Jedi seems free of.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

To be honest, I'd take a safe Star Wars game over a cancelled one or a multiplayer only.one any day
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm not really a Star Wars fan, I like the original trilogy I guess, but I would never describe myself as a 'fan', but I could go for a big budget single player, story focused Star Wars game, I think. I loved KOTOR, and I know it's not going to be like that, but a solid game with those sound effects and music would hit the childhood nostalgia buttons just right.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Compared to what Respawn did with the single player in Titanfall 2? This is safe.

At least in terms of what we’ve seen.

It’s apparently part of the MS event tomorrow as well, so we shall see if they choose to show us something more.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Flabyo wrote: June 8th, 2019, 10:39 am But I’d be interested in knowing which leaks in recent years people do think were deliberate.
Sorry, I got sidetracked and then forgot to reply yesterday.

I don't have any sort of extensive list of leaks which I thought were suspicious, but I clearly remember the furore surrounding the very first "Project Beast" leak (that would later turn out to be Bloodborne) in early 2014. The leaked screenshots displayed the perfect amount of information to generate interest without actively spoiling anything. The NeoGAF thread in particular went completely ballistic, and much of the excitement stemmed from the "clandestine" nature of the information being uncovered and shared. By the time of the official announcement a few weeks later, potential consumers were foaming at the mouth and popular interest was at an all-time high. And the finished product ended up selling almost as well as its two predecessors despite being a PS4 exclusive.

I remember thinking that both Sony and FROM couldn't have hoped for a more efficient marketing campaign, and with almost zero financial investment on their part. Win/Win. It really wouldn't surprise me if some shrewd higher-up had decided to leave a select few screenshots in a conveniently chosen spot and let the internet work its magic in their favour.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

So it sounds like, from people who’ve done follow up interviews, that EA’s Star Wars game is actually borrowing a lot more from the Souls games than they made apparent with what they showed.

Hmm. Wonder what they’ll show of it this evening then?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Sounds interesting. Does it all kick off at 10 tonight? Reading conflicting reports saying 9 or 10..?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

9pm uk time for the Xbox event.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Cool thanks. Don't know if anyone watches RKG on YouTube (the Prepare To Try guys) but they're live streaming the MS conference, pre show chat is live right now.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Here we go! First game looks interesting!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Star Wars game looks awesome!