Google Stadia

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Joshihatsumitsu

Re: Google Stadia

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

Hmmm... let’s say in an ideal world where internet connections on a global scale are flawless, all you be playing is Doom.

At this stage in tech, a typewriter could play Doom. Content is king to the hardcore, and irrelevant to the mainstream.

If anyone could do it, it would be Google. To keep it positive, the limitations could lead to innovations. And thank god there are people smarter than me, otherwise there would be something to genuinely worry about!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Joshihatsumitsu wrote: March 20th, 2019, 9:26 pm At the rich end of town, Stadia will do fine. In many others parts of the globe, the infrastructure just doesn't exist.

I'm going to outright say I'm biased, but after a £1.28bn fine for antitrust practices, I kinda don't care for Google to succeed. It's a world of great inequality, and my personal feels colour my consumer choices more as I get older.

So, cards on the table. Totally biased.
I echo your sentiments. I stopped buying bottled water after Nestlé forced employees to barricade the doors at a town hall meeting in a township close to me, so that members of the public could not provide feedback on a proposal to start charging fair value for the town's water regarding one of their bottling plants. Like, seriously, fuck Nestlé in general. Their political meddling and anti-worker attitudes should be punished.

Obviously, it is nearly impossible to find a capitalist entity that isn't a bastard in some way or another, but I definitely draw the line at "threatening workers" and "intimidating municipal politicians".
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So after successfully predicting my team would implode to Brighton and investing in such I have decided to invest my ill gotten gains into the founders pack. My router runs at over 40 and I might double down and get a pixel phone as my phone is up for renewal in November.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

🥳
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Wired published a long-form article about Stadia, which, for anyone interested in the device and its potential, makes for a fascinating read

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/google-stadia

It does go to show that Google is serious about the tech and its commitment to it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Mine has just arrived but comically I have yet to receive codes etc to be able to play it
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

All reports suggest it works great.

Funny, that.

:lol:
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Yeah, except those that don't!

I tried Google's Stadia, and latency got me killed.
So how does Stadia fare? Both games are playable, and if that's all you're after, Stadia will suffice. But latency is clearly present. During an intense fight in Doom, moving and aiming and shooting with the mouse and keyboard just feels sluggish, especially compared to playing on a high-end PC.

Google Stadia Launch Review: A Technical, Conceptual Disaster
I fell off ledges in Tomb Raider because of lag. I flat-out lost Mortal Kombat fights I would have won otherwise. I died to Destiny enemies I would roast with ease on any other platform. I managed to slog through the entirety of the Mortal Kombat 11 campaign (which I genuinely wanted to play, as I hadn’t yet) and probably at least one a match I ran into lag issues. Even if it’s just for a moment, it can cost you an entire fight in a game like that.

Stadia tech review: the best game streaming yet, but far from ready. (by Richard Leadbetter from Digital Foundry)

This one tries to look at the positive side of things, but they ran a proper latency test and found that Stadia introduces an additional minimum +44ms of input lag. The games they tested varied between 122ms and a staggering 217ms of lag. And according to Flabyo who I'm pretty sure knows his shit:
Flabyo wrote: March 21st, 2019, 9:32 am anything longer than 100ms between controller input and the result reaching the eye feels crappy

There is a lot that seems to suggest that Stadia is a perfectly workable alternative for those who want to play Tomb Raider or Horizon with reduced load times to look at the max res'd landscapes, but that there might be a hard technological bottleneck that would create massive playability issues with high-input genres.

Funny indeed.

PS: Mortal Kombat 11 is part of the launch line-up. Let's hear what fighting game experts have to say about this version.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I don't think most folks' broadband is ready for it either tbh. Even with the 200Mbs fibre broadband I have I'm not at all keen on playing games with compression artefacts and 25% extra input lag, but it's not aimed at me.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

ThirdMan wrote: November 20th, 2019, 1:34 pm
Alex79uk wrote: November 20th, 2019, 11:26 am All reports suggest it works great.

Funny, that.

:lol:
Eurogamer were pretty positive but made it sound like it's not ready for release.
To be fair, Google's actions in the run-up to this launch suggested it wasn't ready for release anyway! :D

I'll never be the target market for this so don't want to get into debating it really, but from what I've seen (some of which is in Ksub's thorough post above) it doesn't look like it'll be changing skeptical minds anytime soon.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 20th, 2019, 12:27 pm Yeah, except those that don't!

I tried Google's Stadia, and latency got me killed.
So how does Stadia fare? Both games are playable, and if that's all you're after, Stadia will suffice. But latency is clearly present. During an intense fight in Doom, moving and aiming and shooting with the mouse and keyboard just feels sluggish, especially compared to playing on a high-end PC.

Google Stadia Launch Review: A Technical, Conceptual Disaster
I fell off ledges in Tomb Raider because of lag. I flat-out lost Mortal Kombat fights I would have won otherwise. I died to Destiny enemies I would roast with ease on any other platform. I managed to slog through the entirety of the Mortal Kombat 11 campaign (which I genuinely wanted to play, as I hadn’t yet) and probably at least one a match I ran into lag issues. Even if it’s just for a moment, it can cost you an entire fight in a game like that.

Stadia tech review: the best game streaming yet, but far from ready. (by Richard Leadbetter from Digital Foundry)

This one tries to look at the positive side of things, but they ran a proper latency test and found that Stadia introduces an additional minimum +44ms of input lag. The games they tested varied between 122ms and a staggering 217ms of lag. And according to Flabyo who I'm pretty sure knows his shit:
Flabyo wrote: March 21st, 2019, 9:32 am anything longer than 100ms between controller input and the result reaching the eye feels crappy

There is a lot that seems to suggest that Stadia is a perfectly workable alternative for those who want to play Tomb Raider or Horizon with reduced load times to look at the max res'd landscapes, but that there might be a hard technological bottleneck that would create massive playability issues with high-input genres.

Funny indeed.

PS: Mortal Kombat 11 is part of the launch line-up. Let's hear what fighting game experts have to say about this version.
Come on man, you should have spotted that bait a mile off :lol:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Should I get my flipping code I will be able to let you know :lol:

I've got Samurai Showdown for free too so will give that a spin. My internet is 50MBS. Here's what is in the box by the way:

https://twitter.com/richspurs24/status/ ... 9209118720

Controller feels nice, it is a nice mix of the xbox and ps4 pad. Installation was pretty straight forward. I just need to be emailed my invite code to get in as it where.

6 hours and counting....
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Still no code. Google have right royally bollocksed this up haven't they
Suits

Post by Suits »

Yeah, this is pretty bad as launch day issues go really.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I can’t believe they’ve sent you hardware but no ability to use it! Google! One of the biggest tech companies there is! Wow.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So they've messaged to say everyone who preordered in June will now have codes and they are now going through Julys and codes will be sent in date order from when you preordered.

October 8th :P

Amazing that all the people that have gone out and invested in this unproven tech have been shafted like this.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

DomsBeard wrote: November 21st, 2019, 6:09 am So they've messaged to say everyone who preordered in June will now have codes and they are now going through Julys and codes will be sent in date order from when you preordered.

Amazing that all the people that have gone out and invested in this unproven tech have been shafted like this.
Honestly, with this and the incomplete structure of Disney+, it feels like we're in an age of paying to be in beta. And, a lot of us are doing willingly?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Lack of crossplay means things like Mk11 on it are barren wastelands with no one to play against.

Genuinely surprising they haven’t at least made it crossplay with the steam version.
KissMammal

Post by KissMammal »

duskvstweak wrote: November 21st, 2019, 3:45 pm
DomsBeard wrote: November 21st, 2019, 6:09 am So they've messaged to say everyone who preordered in June will now have codes and they are now going through Julys and codes will be sent in date order from when you preordered.

Honestly, with this and the incomplete structure of Disney+, it feels like we're in an age of paying to be in beta. And, a lot of us are doing willingly?
Did people really expect Disney+ and Stadia to work flawlessly at launch? I certainly didn't.