Google Stadia

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Google Stadia

Post by DomsBeard »

As a Stadia Founder I cannot comment about how is works as nearly 36 hours after receiving my controller I have yet to use it. I would expect being sent the code to use it at least
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This is utterly bizarre. It's not like they haven't had time to prepare. People really need to kick up a stink about this.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I'm in
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

How is it?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

So I had a little dabble last night on my tv via the chromecast and then this morning on my work macbook pro and my own macbook.

Initial thoughts are that I am impressed.

Loading time was fast from the app on my phone and also in between switching from Destiny 2 to Samurai Showdown. I would say faster than Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. Obviously no need to install everything is there.

Playing Destiny 2 last night on the tv I started a new game rather than import my save. Spent some time on earth and then in the tower. Had no slowdown and no input lag at all. All buttons pressed felt the same as they would if I was playing on a console. I also tried a game of crucible which worked fine. I had one instance of slow down in a section where there was a few of us and a couple were using their special abilities. Think this may have happened before on the PS4 and Xbox One previously. Graphically as I was looking for it I noticed that my guardian when I went into third person and others were not as defined as usual apart from that I thought it looked and sounded fine.

I jumped from this into Samurai Showdown in the hope of having an online game. Tried for 2 or 3 minutes but it said none were available. I tried single player and picked Haohmaru as if I remembered correctly he had a similar move set to Ryu/Ken so would be a good test. Again all special moves came off perfectly and in time though I would like to try an online match to give it a true test.

Setting up today on the macbook pro was easy. Logged into to my profile via stadia.com and then plugged in my controller via the USB (this is being sorted so it doesn't need USB at some point). What I stupidly didn't realise till later is that you can use mouse and keyboard if you want to. Navigating the menus in Destiny felt faster on the keyboard.

Did a patrol and a public event and again apart from one slight slowdown when things got ultra busy it ran very well. It didn't look as good but this may be down to the screen of the macbook pro (I have no idea about comparisons with Chromecast or if it can even run 4K).

I then shut it down and started up my macbook where it looked better than it did on the pro for some reason (smaller screen maybe). Kicker here is that it only has a USB C port to charge not a USB so I am unable to use a controller with it currently but as mentioned mouse and keyboard worked fine.

I need to put a longer session into really give it a test drive and plan to. Store pricing is hit and miss. I was going to pick up FFXV as I want a single player title to get stuck into but it is £27.

Metro Exodus, Rage 2 and all the Tomb Raiders I own via Gamepass as well as having physical copies of RDR2, AC Odyssey. Nothing else on the list I fancy so I will see. There has been talk of a Black Friday sale so I may take a punt on RDR2 if that is half price and trade in my Xbox copy. I would like to see something like AC Origins on there?.

Anyway excited to see how this goes. Whether it justifies £8.99 a month when the free 3 months runs out is another thing entirely.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Nice one, glad you got to play with it eventually! I would kinda hope it would blow PS4 / Xbox out of the water graphically but I suppose it’s early days. Out of interest can you use the chromecast as a normal chromecast with the usual apps etc, and do you know if the pad can be used outside of Stadia? Would lessen the blow somewhat if you could use it with Steam for example...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Not sure about either to be honest. Think the chromecast is able to be used as normal but the controller is just connected via wifi i believe.

So i ran a test just now.

Started Destiny 2 on my Xbox One X (free downloaded version) and then it on Stadia.

Time taken from picking up the pad with both turned off to landing on the tower:

Xbox one x 4 minutes 45 seconds
Stadia 1 minute 45 seconds

Really impressed with this as it shows the pros of this. Twenty seconds were lost on xbox with a 5mb update.

Comparison screen shots:

https://twitter.com/richspurs24/status/ ... 57792?s=19

Fog way more prominent in Stadia however leaving it on now it appears there is a time cycle so could effect things
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

2 more free games in December :

https://community.stadia.com/t5/Stadia- ... /ba-p/5892

Farm Simulator 2019 and Tomb Raider.

Quietly chuffed with these and if we get 2 a month as a pro member then it'll make things interesting
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just had two games online on Samurai Showdown with two wins. Played fine with no slowdown.

I'm on holiday next week but once I'm back I'll run some tests comparing Tomb Raider on Stadia v Xbox One
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

*Shodown

😉
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: November 30th, 2019, 12:20 am *Shodown

😉
I've been playing it since the original and never noticed that till now 😂
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Just ran another test with Tomb Raider Definitive Edition.

Time from starting the Stadia app, selecting Tomb Raider and going through the opening menus and cinematic till Lara is playable:

3 minutes 30 seconds

Time from starting the Xbox One X, going to Game Pass then downloading the game with it letting me start the game at 6% downloaded with the opening menus and cinematic till Lara is playable:

17 minutes and 30 seconds.

Going to get to a decent spot for a screen shot in both
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Xbox One X shared via the xbox I had to screenshot the Stadia one

https://twitter.com/richspurs24/status/ ... 73184?s=19
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

This is starting to sound like you’re justifying it to yourself rather than trying to convince any of us.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Flabyo wrote: December 2nd, 2019, 8:17 am This is starting to sound like you’re justifying it to yourself rather than trying to convince any of us.
No not at all, all I have seen/read or heard is negativity about it and how it ''doesn't work'' but noted and will keep my thoughts to myself from now on.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

^ Dom, I wasn't getting that vibe from your posts at all, I thought you were just informing of your experiences and sharing thoughts as (maybe) the only one here with Stadia? While I'm not the target market it still makes for interesting reading on a new gaming platform from one of us. Keep posting them I'd say.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Of course the load times are better, no one was ever disputing that.

But you’re talking about a 10 year old game here, that I played through on the 360.

I don’t find it’s value proposition, where you get a smattering of free games then have to pay a higher price for everything else than console players pay for the same game, that appealing.

For a bit more than the price of stadia I can have a XBO with gamepass and have hundreds of games to play for no extra cost. They have to beat that in order for it to be anything other than an experiment.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Yeah I was following Dom's posts with interest too; doubtful whether I'll ever get it but good to see some first-hand experience!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Don’t let my ramblings stop you from posting by the way, just to me the load time thing felt like a fairly weird comparison to put so much weight onto given that the hefty install on console is a one time deal.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

I promise I'm asking in good faith, but how is this looking these days? Any interesting developments, new exclusives, etc...?

I haven't so much as heard the name in WEEKS.