Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
Alex79uk

Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Post by Alex79uk » July 4th, 2019, 11:32 am

I'm finding Sekiro a lot more obtuse with where you 'should' be heading next compared to previous From games. I ended up down in some dungeons before emerging at a whole new temple where a voice in a poster (!?) kept telling me to turn back. Its quite a nice area and I made good progress there before thinking I wasn't supposed to be going this way as I'd not finished the castle or the Flashback memory areas yet. Re: the castle area, I just fought a flaming bull and then made it to a sculptors stone just before a staircase leading upwards where there was a mob and a miniboss. There are loads of annoying flying ninja things about to. I just get a bit overwhelmed with navigation options and in a way I wish it was more linear. Not only is it confusing knowing where to go, I also get that gamer feeling that I have to explore every way to see what's there rather than just picking a direction and sticking with it! Even consulting walkthroughs hasn't helped a great deal!

James

Post by James » July 4th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Fair to say you've reached the point at which the map opens up. I know it's not what you want to hear, but anywhere you can go is perfectly fine for now. You might find that you progress to a dead end or insurmountable challenge in any given direction, but as long as you're finding new Sculptor's Idols then you're making progress.

In short: Keep exploring; there are no wrong turns!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 5th, 2019, 11:35 am

The last couple of days I've been suffering (ladies, you won't understand how bad it is but the gents on here will sympathise I'm sure) with fluey like symptoms that have really knocked me about. I sat playing Sekiro till about midnight last night, and ended up having an awful night's sleep because every time I drifted off I started having fever nightmares that I was being chased by ninjas.

:lol:

I'm 40.

:oops:

Chopper

Post by Chopper » July 14th, 2019, 8:15 am

Heard an interesting theory on a podcast the other week - they posited the idea that Sekiro combat was basically about reflexes and reaction time - that it was essentially a rock, paper, scissors deal, and that if you didn't have the reflexes to identify and action the correct counter in what was generally a very small window, then you tended to guess, and this results in flailing and frustration.

Maybe the ageing gamer population is at the root of the great schism with the 'get gud' crowd. :lol:

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » July 14th, 2019, 8:52 am

I've postponed my playthrough of this slightly for a couple of weeks so I can play along with the upcoming RKG playthrough on YouTube. Enjoying it very much, but been stuck on the Lady Butterfly (Madame Butterfly maybe? Can't remember exact name) for a while in one direction, and a mob of enemies with a miniboss in another!

If anyone's not checked out RKG before and enjoy the Fromsoft games, they're worth watching. 3 ex-IGN UK lads who used to do Prepare To Try and formed their own company. They've done all the Souls games, Bloodborne, Shadow Of The Colossus, Cuphead, loads of stuff now. It's all great fun.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » July 14th, 2019, 8:54 am

Chopper wrote:
July 14th, 2019, 8:15 am
a rock, paper, scissors deal, and that if you didn't have the reflexes to identify and action the correct counter in what was generally a very small window, then you tended to guess, and this results in flailing and frustration.
That seems like a very accurate observation as far as the Perilous Attacks are concerned.