Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
chase210

Re: Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Post by chase210 » March 22nd, 2019, 7:47 pm

It’s brilliant and I love it. From Software does it again.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » March 22nd, 2019, 10:18 pm

I've got my lavender candle set up, some nice strawberry syrup from Monin at my disposal, and virtual fencing sessions with a cohort of rustic half-naked men.

Fun Factor: MAX

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » March 22nd, 2019, 11:25 pm

Snip.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » March 22nd, 2019, 11:45 pm

Snip.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » March 23rd, 2019, 7:16 am

ThirdMan wrote:
March 22nd, 2019, 11:25 pm
I unimaginatively tanked my way through Dark Souls III and never really embraced Bloodborne's regain system. In those games I just wanted to see the locations, to face off against the enemies, to enjoy the unusual vibe. I never had any interest in mastering the parry or riposte etc. The goal was simple, just get to the next checkpoint.

With Sekiro, however, I'm deliberately replaying encounters to try different strategies. At one point I had a mini-boss at death's door, but I didn't deliver the killing blow because I wanted to toy with him a bit more, to use him as a training tool. For me, someone that's very impatient and doesn't enjoy replaying difficult content, that's unprecedented.

My only complaint so far, and it's a very small one, is that the double-jump isn't animated very well and doesn't feel as precise as I'd like it to.
Action games can be tricky to get into, so I'm really glad to hear you're starting to take an interest in the mechanical experimentation side of things. That's exactly what I and others find so incredibly rewarding about this little gaming niche. Speaking of which, this game's parry system and quick time-to-kill actually reminds me of Revengeance in more ways than one.

I also agree with the jumping animations. It works most of the time, but it does look a bit awkward. Nowhere near as fluid and precise as in other action games. Maybe the Souls engine is to "blame"?

chase210

Post by chase210 » March 23rd, 2019, 7:27 am

Phew, took me about 20 tries to beat the first proper mini boss, the general Naoromi guy. Interesting to have a game I really have to be into playing, can’t have a podcast on in the background at the same time.

Suits

Post by Suits » March 23rd, 2019, 8:20 am

Picking this up today, I’m thinking PS4 version over Xbox performance wise.

But my PS4-Pro sounds like a good blender with that fan 🥴.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » March 23rd, 2019, 8:26 am

Snip.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » March 23rd, 2019, 8:28 am

Snip.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » March 23rd, 2019, 8:40 am

Snip.

Suits

Post by Suits » March 23rd, 2019, 10:10 am

ThirdMan wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 8:28 am
Suits wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 8:20 am
Picking this up today, I’m thinking PS4 version over Xbox performance wise.

But my PS4-Pro sounds like a good blender with that fan 🥴.
Do you not use headphones? I literally cannot bring myself to play a game without them.
I kind of have an office for my gaming, so don’t really need them.

Plus I have a wild two year old, so keeping your ears free is handy 😄.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » March 23rd, 2019, 10:46 am

Snip.

Suits

Post by Suits » March 23rd, 2019, 10:53 am

ThirdMan wrote:
March 23rd, 2019, 10:46 am
It's the last days of disco.
Disco never ends 😎.

clippa

Post by clippa » March 23rd, 2019, 11:13 am

I love those big over the ear jobs, nice and cosy, takes a nicely sized slice off reality cutting off one of your senses from your surroundings like that, feels like you're in your own little bubble.
Sometimes I'll just put them on when I'm not even listening to anything, or if my ears are cold.

Is it possible that headphones can make your ears lazy? You know how everyone's talking straight into your lugs and it's all so clear, you never have to strain or make an effort to hear anything?

Suits

Post by Suits » March 23rd, 2019, 8:35 pm

This is good.

It’s my first proper sit down with a From Software game - so it hard as Hell but rewarding in a number of ways.

It takes me back to the satisfaction of simply succeeding, as opposed to doing things the optimal way.

My PS4 isn’t puffing as hard as I’d expected this far. Which is nice.

Stanshall

Post by Stanshall » March 31st, 2019, 2:42 pm

This is now clicking in a big way. It's really really hard and unlike the Souls games there's no real way to avoid the inevitable or minimise the experience, you simply have to git gud or git your arse handed to you. It has a totally different rhythm, though, and when you start to properly balance attacks and deflects and manage to pressurise and dominate your opponents (especially the bosses), you see how deep the combat model is. You can play it purely reactively but that becomes very attritional and the chances are you'll make more mistakes than the AI so you are best to try to apply pressure and learn when to turn defence into attack.

I'm not as enamoured with the lore or aesthetic of the world, though it's very beautiful, but the core gameplay of combat and traversal absolutely bangs.

Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor » March 31st, 2019, 5:04 pm

I am pants at this. Have died about twenty times to "chained ogre". I need to set aside a solid few consecutive hours to really get into it.

ThirdMan

Post by ThirdMan » March 31st, 2019, 7:15 pm

Snip.

James

Post by James » March 31st, 2019, 9:06 pm

I'm slowly, but surely improving. It's been a long time since I learned how to play Demon's Souls, and no Souls game since, nor Bloodborne has had such a long learning period as Sekiro has for me.

Precise timing and quick reactions are not my strong suit, so the other night I spent an hour or so in freeplay training with Hanbei. It took right until the end of that hour before I managed to correctly counter 10 successive attacks, and I was still messing up frequently, so I honestly didn't think the training was going to pay off. It did.

Since then, I've beaten two mini-bosses that were giving me trouble. I've felt much more able to deflect with some consistency, which obviously is a massive deal. I doubt I'll ever feel as comfortable with Sekiro's combat as I do Dark Souls or Bloodborne's, but if nothing else Sekiro has steeled my resolve to properly practice when it comes to technical combat systems (I'm looking at you MK11!) :D

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » April 1st, 2019, 4:20 am

I'm also improving but at a slower rate. I finally found the area where the horseman was and died a couple times but could honestly easily see how to beat him whilst being challenged at the same time.

I really enjoy the core mechanics here, more so than the Souls game and I'm hoping my improvement continues to grow