Void B*stards - got a question or two

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
dezm0nd

Void B*stards - got a question or two

Post by dezm0nd »

Anyone else playing the new FPS Roguelike Void Bastards? It's pretty great so far and its on xbox gamepass (and steam, too)

I've got a question regarding the recycler machine found in the garbage room. I seem to be putting my materials in but cant seem to find what im getting in return. So, the question is, what the bloody hell is it?

I could just google it or whatever but I thought it would be more fun to have some discovery together
Flabyo

Re: Void B*stards - got a question or two

Post by Flabyo »

I’d need to check, but I think it gives you ‘merits’, the currency you can spend on doing stuff.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Ah that'd make sense. I was thinking along the lines of the latest prey game.

Cheers Glen
Suits

Post by Suits »

On a side note - this looks so good.

I’ll likely get on this tonight with a beer and a pizza.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There’s definitely something there... I’m not yet sold on it though, it’s going to come down to how repetitive it gets. But as it’s on gamepass... may as well keep playing.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, Gamepass you say - I might just get one of those trials and try it that, as opposed to the £25 to buy it.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

^^^^ From what I've seen, you need to treat the combat in this game like an RPG dice roll system, as visible projectiles can't physically be avoided and hit probability and damage are based on stats and RNG. Don't know how I feel about that yet, but yeah... more RPG-like in the vein of System Shock than FPS, really.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Michiel K wrote: May 31st, 2019, 11:03 am ^^^^ From what I've seen, you need to treat the combat in this game like an RPG dice roll system, as visible projectiles can't physically be avoided and hit probability and damage are based on stats and RNG. Don't know how I feel about that yet, but yeah... more RPG-like in the vein of System Shock than FPS, really.
It didn’t feel like that at all to me, I was definitely avoiding shots by moving? Or maybe I just thought I was.

And I was definitely hitting headshots to do more damage.

The large health bar is because it doesn’t refill between missions unless you use health resources. You’re trying to get as far as you can on limited resources.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I’ve gotten a bit further now, almost have all the parts for the HR Computer. I’m really digging the risk/reward of choosing which ships to stop at and which to skip. I crossed over to the third layer of the nebula and got absolutely smoked. Digging the progression so far and I’ve apparently got some more upgrades to craft before I can handle level three.

I’m really enjoying the entire feel of this one.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I'm definitely very much enjoying it. I don't really know what my end goal is but i'm enjoying just bouncing from ship to ship, managing my fuel etc to get to where it's telling me to go.

It reminds me a tiny bit of Rainbow Six Terrorist Hunt. I'm just loading into these levels, killing a bunch of things and taking stuff back with me (hopefully) to make the next one a bit more enjoyable with the level progression.

The garbage recycler is indeed to recycle mats into credits and I've also just realised you can create upgrade parts from mats found, too.

I get why this game wouldn't be on everyones radar but I am certainly enjoying the RPG-liteness of a cel shaded System Shock-lite. You can indeed dodge the projectiles, though.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I’ve now gotten very comfortable with skipping ships and using the locator to go after the parts I want. I almost always jump past four or five ships now to get to where I want to go. I’m also getting more acclimated to the ship types and layouts so I’m getting better at getting out quickly after I got what I need.

Also for an unsolicited tip, before you get to level 3, it becomes important to salvage torpedoes off of ships so you can fend off things like void whales.

Void Whale is now the new name of my metal band.