Video Game Collection Vs. Sunlight

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

Video Game Collection Vs. Sunlight

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Henlo gentlemans and ladies.

I'm about to move to a new apartment in London - not that London - and I'm fretting over something quite silly.

The best place to put my gaming setup happens to be right beside a large window... And I'm very concerned that being right beside the sunlight will cause my game cases to fade. The area is slightly treed, but I don't really want to take the risk. Additionally, I'll be putting an air conditioner in that window as well, so I can't simply have drapes pulled all day.

SO. What I want to know is:
- Will the sunlight fade my game cases?
- How can I mitigate the sunlight short of covering the windows?
- Will the air conditioning damage my games (moisture, etc.)?

I figure you folks will have more experience than I. I've been living in basement apartments for the past decade, so having a second-floor apartment will be new. And as a bonus fun fact, our London *also* has a Thames River running through it. Because the British wanted to Ctrl+V on Canada, it seems.
KSubzero1000

Re: Video Game Collection Vs. Sunlight

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Magical_Isopod wrote: June 18th, 2019, 6:42 am - How can I mitigate the sunlight short of covering the windows?
The simplest solution I could think of would be to find a way to cover the games themselves. Depending on how large your collection is, you could look into using a closed cupboard as storage unit. Alternatively, you could always install a cloth drape over shelves or an open cupboard. It could be very pretty with the right color / pattern.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sadly, yes, the Ultra Violet light in daylight will damage your cases and labels irreparably.

It’s a real thing and the demise of many many games aesthetic delights.

Whenever I see collections, shops, or stalls with all of their games displayed on basking in sunshine I do spare a thought.

All daylight will cause damage, certain times of the day and year it gets worse as the exposure of the UV rises and falls.

The only thing you can do is keep them out of clear daylight.

Too much moisture in the air can damage them also, people often see games with corrosion and think they have been sitting in water but often its just in overdamp conditions. Garages, lofts, basements etc…

Often the easiest way to combat this is to keep them in an environment that you’re comfortable sitting in, an AC unit should be fine as often they remove moisture from the air not add it.

I’m not kidding when I say when we bought our house, I converted the old galley kitchen into a windowless office so that I can keep all my items on display at all times.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

This is real. My entire movie collection of over 600 DVDs and BluRays has been stored on a bookcase in our conservatory for the last 18 months, and some have suffered awful fading. It never even occurred to me at the time. I only noticed it the other week.
countstex

Post by countstex »

I do not know for certain but I would assume you can buy translusecent film to cover the windows with that allow the majority of light through but block UV, somewhat like most glasses, and certainly sun glasses do now. Not sure if that would darken your room too much though.

Update: Looks like 3M make some for a start:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/home-window ... rotection/
marrispleasure

Post by marrispleasure »

While sunlight can indeed be a culprit, especially if it's direct and prolonged, there are ways to tackle it without resorting to full-on curtains.
RozCasty

Post by RozCasty »

I once had a similar setup conundrum in my own place. What worked for me was investing in UV-protective film for the windows. It's practically invisible but shields your stuff from the harmful rays. Plus, it won't interfere with your AC plans. As for the air conditioner, I had similar fears about moisture, but as long as it's well-maintained, you should be golden. Just keep an eye on humidity levels, and maybe consider a dehumidifier if things get too damp.

In the end, finding the right balance between natural light and protecting your treasures is key. And hey, speaking of finding the right balance, have you ever considered getting a boost for your gaming skills? I stumbled upon this Boosteria service, and it's been a game-changer for me.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Well this thread has turned in to bot spam central, hasn't it. :lol:

That last post was like school assembly: "...and so that is how bridges are made. And bridges are a bit like Jesus, aren't they. How Jesus supported his followers and allowed them to cross the chasm of their hearts".