All things Telltale

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Simonsloth

All things Telltale

Post by Simonsloth »

I couldn’t find a similar topic so have made one. Apologies if it’s a duplicate.

I have now just realised that with the closure of Telltale a lot of their games are slowly disappearing from the digital stores. Some of these games never had a physical copy.

I’m also now discovering some of the telltale games I owned on the Wii store and not on other digital stores so I have no way of redownloading them.

A lot of these appear to still be available but episodes 2 onwards are present which you can’t purchase without owning episode 1. I haven’t looked at the Xbox store but they are slowly vanishing from PSN, Steam and GOG.

Very sad times and I would recommend getting them downloaded so if they disappear completely then at least you will have them to play. Strangely I had no desire to replay them until I saw they were gone.
FemalePheromones

Re: All things Telltale

Post by FemalePheromones »

It looks like all of Batman, The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, The Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands and Minecraft Story Mode are still on the Xbox store.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Anything you bought or received via GWG or PS+ should remain downloadable regardless of the games’ availability from storefronts.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 25th, 2019, 12:11 pm Anything you bought or received via GWG or PS+ should remain downloadable regardless of the games’ availability from storefronts.
Really? What about games which have been completely delisted due to licensing reasons, like Transformers Devastation? Could you still download it from the PS+ library?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Most of the publishing rights have reverted to the owners of the relevant IP.

2k are hoping to get Tales from the Borderlands back up at some point, if only because several characters from it are in Borderlands 3.

The Warner owned ones (Batman, Wolf Among Us) and Disney owned (Guardians of the Galaxy), not heard anything about.

HBO said they’re keen to get the Game of Thrones one back up, but it wasn’t that great anyway.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 25th, 2019, 12:27 pm
ratsoalbion wrote: June 25th, 2019, 12:11 pm Anything you bought or received via GWG or PS+ should remain downloadable regardless of the games’ availability from storefronts.
Really? What about games which have been completely delisted due to licensing reasons, like Transformers Devastation? Could you still download it from the PS+ library?
Of course. I have dozens of these.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There may be exceptions (PT possibly), but they are rare.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

I suppose from my point of view I’m looking at minecraft story mode season 2 which I never bought, tales of monkey island which I own but on the now defunct Wii shop (whoops) and anticipating more disappearances.

I own a fair few games on PS3 but if I’m not mistaken the fact the games are now absent from the storefront means a manual sift through your purchase history which lacks a search function.

All a bit worrying. Probably the first time Ive encountered a set of high profile games I’m bothered about disappearing into the ether.
James

Post by James »

Yeah, I just checked and Transformers: Devastation is still in my PS4 library. It's not on the PlayStation Store though, so you'll have to check through the 'Purchased' section of your library to install it.

Given the rumours that our PS4 and Xbox One libraries will transfer over, and the new consoles will be backwards compatible, I do wonder whether the licenses for particular games (like those mentioned here) will allow that. I'm thinking of the Rock Band songs that didn't transfer between games or between consoles as relevant comparison here.

In theory we'd still have access to those games via our old consoles, of course. But I'm hoping to trade in my current gen consoles for the new ones on the strength of backwards compatibility, so I'll be paying particular attention to this.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The rock band 4 songs are kinda interesting actually, quite a few of the ones that didn’t transfer originally now have been (on XBO anyway). If you go to ‘manage game’ you might find a decent chunk of stuff is sitting in your ‘ready to download’ section for it. They basically carried on renegotiating the licences after the game launched.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Flabyo wrote: June 25th, 2019, 12:29 pm HBO said they’re keen to get the Game of Thrones one back up, but it wasn’t that great anyway.
It was probably the worst of late-stage Telltale, and it was still pretty solid! Goes to show the heights the studio was getting to. I was surprised to see Tales from the Borderlands was released almost concurrently with GoT (a month apart), so you can see that they were maybe over-reaching a bit.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I guess this included the Monkey Island series, Back to the Future too, I enjoyed both of those... It's really sad when things like this happen and terrible for game preservation / history when digital only titles just vanish.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

clippa wrote: June 26th, 2019, 12:21 pm I can't believe that any reputable developer or publisher would agree to these sorts of deals where the license was set to expire after a few years and the games would have to stop being sold
That isn’t what’s happened here though. In this case Telltale, the publisher, suffered sudden existence failure. You can’t sell games on a digital storefront if there’s no company existing to send the money to.

Physical copies are different in that the money has already moved from retail to distributor to publishers to developer long before you ponied up for it.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Chopper wrote: June 26th, 2019, 10:52 am It was probably the worst of late-stage Telltale, and it was still pretty solid! Goes to show the heights the studio was getting to. I was surprised to see Tales from the Borderlands was released almost concurrently with GoT (a month apart), so you can see that they were maybe over-reaching a bit.
Nah, Guardians of the Galaxy was far worse. Completely rammed with unfunny filler.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Flabyo wrote: June 26th, 2019, 5:29 pm Nah, Guardians of the Galaxy was far worse. Completely rammed with unfunny filler.
:lol:

Just goes to show; I put Tales from the Borderlands in that category while I really enjoyed GotG! I think I’m in a minority as regards my harsh views on Tales though.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Chopper wrote: June 26th, 2019, 8:14 pm
Flabyo wrote: June 26th, 2019, 5:29 pm Nah, Guardians of the Galaxy was far worse. Completely rammed with unfunny filler.
:lol:

Just goes to show; I put Tales from the Borderlands in that category while I really enjoyed GotG! I think I’m in a minority as regards my harsh views on Tales though.
Shame on you. You’ve gone down in my estimation of you😀

To be honest I loved all of them bar Batman. Strong Bad was probably my favourite because it’s so silly.
James

Post by James »

Coincidentally, I started Batman: The Telltale Series yesterday, and was compelled enough with the story to see it through all 5 episodes. This was the first of Telltale’s games I’ve played through since The Walking Dead: Season 1.

The limits of Telltale’s formula and engine were pretty apparent, I think. I saw plenty of hitching during cutscenes, and between interactive sections too. I’m also left unsure how much involvement my success or failure with any given QTE had in progressing the story; several times I missed an input and it looked like the attempted action proceeded as it would have anyway. There were also sections where reticles appeared on screen for no apparent reason.

Weird quirks like that didn’t undermine the game or story for me, thankfully. But there were definitely one or two spots where my decisions not only weren’t reflected, but were contradicted. Relatively innocuously, a flashback in the ‘Previously...’ section of an episode showed a different version of a scene than I had played out only 5 minutes before. More of an issue was the game telling me that “Lt Gordon noticed your non-violent approach” to interrogating a suspect, only for Alfred to berate me for “Beating that man half to death” in the very next scene. Very poor.

Overall, I’m glad I played through Batman, but I can’t say that it has compelled me to play the second season. I have a couple of other Telltale series from Gold/Plus, so I’m sure I’ll get to those at some point, but I’m not in any rush.

Anyway, apologies for taking the thread on a bit of a tangent, but it seemed apropos to mention.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Chopper wrote: June 26th, 2019, 8:14 pm
That’s the problem with comedy though, it tends to be a lot more subjective than other genres.

The dry, sarcastic, borderline farce stuff in Tales is far more my sense of humour than the cringe comedy and pop culture jokes of the Guardians game.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

James has reminded me that the first Batman is probably the worst of them. The technical and continuity issues were very real. I also thought the story was spread pretty thin.

James, if it is any consolation, the second Batman is much better and actually worth checking out.
Simonsloth wrote: June 26th, 2019, 8:31 pm Shame on you. You’ve gone down in my estimation of you😀
Plenty more where that came from :lol:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I never played the third and fourth season of Walking Dead, wouldn't mind going through one and two again, either. Shame you can't get the full series on Switch.