All things Telltale

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: All things Telltale

Post by Alex79 »

Did anyone bother with the GoT game? We got it free on PS+ years back but I had no interest back then, but having got in to the show and just reached the appropriate part of the series chronologically speaking where the game is set, I'm tempted to give it a try.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

I got really tired of the formula and just stopped buying / playing Telltale games. I loved the Walking Dead Season 1 - it was one of my favourite experiences of that generation. The sequels (2, 3 at least) were good too, but affected me in a declining way. The Wolf Among Us was excellent, but it felt like I'd been there before. I have a load of them in my PSN library since and haven't bothered (Borderlands, Batman etc)

The engine was dogshit. Crashes, glitches, bugs galore. It killed my desire to play more, and the endless stream of licences didn't appeal either. I absolutely love narrative games, I'm the target market. So when they lose the likes of me, they're in trouble. I do feel sorry for the devs who were affected, clearly a good thing was absolutely wrecked by mismanagement and a fucked up growth strategy.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

The game of thrones one was excellent I thought. To be honest aside from Batman season 1, Jurassic Park and Back to the Future I’ve enjoyed all of them.

I have Batman season 2 waiting for me so I’ll give that a whirl at some point.

I felt Game of Thrones worked because like The Walking Dead every character seemed at risk of a nasty death. I really enjoyed it but that’s me. I like the telltale formula and I like GoT. If you have reservations with either it might not be your cup of tea.

If you already own it why not stick it on for a bit and if you like it then great.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The GoT one has you play multiple characters in order to make it feel more like an episode of the show, cutting between plot threads. That aspect works, but some of the characters stories are better than others, it felt a bit too variable.

Fantastic cold open for the first episode though.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Flabyo wrote: June 27th, 2019, 11:56 am The GoT one has you play multiple characters in order to make it feel more like an episode of the show, cutting between plot threads. That aspect works, but some of the characters stories are better than others, it felt a bit too variable.

Fantastic cold open for the first episode though.
Did GoT have the original actors doing VO or did they sub in some sound-alikes? Also does the plot link into the TV show and add any value to the overall narrative of the world or is it totally separate (or somewhere in between?!)?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

From what I've read it's mainly characters that weren't in the TV show, a seperate story that runs concurrently alongside season 4/5.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Alex79uk wrote: June 27th, 2019, 1:34 pm From what I've read it's mainly characters that weren't in the TV show, a seperate story that runs concurrently alongside season 4/5.
It starts alongside a fairly major event from the show (I won’t spoil that, it’s why the cold open is so good), but it’s mostly following new characters. It does weave in and out of the show plot to a degree, they do make it pretty clear where in the show storyline you are at any point.

Where a show character does appear they are voiced by the actor from the show, but they’re not a major focus of the story. (And with varying quality, Dinklage seems to be phoning it in a bit, but I think he’s probably just not a great voice actor, not all actors are)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I have played most of the Telltale stuff and rank them the following

1. Walking Dead Seasons 1 and 4
2. Batman Season 2
3. Wolf Among Us
4. Game Of Thrones
5. Walking Dead season 2
6. Batman Season 1
7. Borderlands
8. Guardians
9 Walking Dead Season 3 (first 2 episodes were great then it fell off a cliff)

Ironically the new engine in season 4 of The Walking Dead was very good
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Flabyo wrote: June 27th, 2019, 2:03 pm
Alex79uk wrote: June 27th, 2019, 1:34 pm From what I've read it's mainly characters that weren't in the TV show, a seperate story that runs concurrently alongside season 4/5.
It starts alongside a fairly major event from the show (I won’t spoil that, it’s why the cold open is so good), but it’s mostly following new characters. It does weave in and out of the show plot to a degree, they do make it pretty clear where in the show storyline you are at any point.

Where a show character does appear they are voiced by the actor from the show, but they’re not a major focus of the story. (And with varying quality, Dinklage seems to be phoning it in a bit, but I think he’s probably just not a great voice actor, not all actors are)
This is true though it suffered for having one certain character in it as you knew they could not or would not be killed. I found it to be too heavy going even for game of thrones.
James

Post by James »

Chopper wrote: June 27th, 2019, 8:13 am James, if it is any consolation, the second Batman is much better and actually worth checking out.
Thanks, I'll bear that in mind. :)
Think I also have Wolf Among Us and Borderlands from Plus/Gold, so should probably give those a look at some point.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

TWAU is easily my favorite.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

So I bought the Minecraft Season 2 physical version on PS4 which the bloke in CEX told me was only episode 1 and that I was foolish for buying it. It said quite clearly it was a season pass disc and a bit of internet research told me that he was probably wrong.

Anyway I bought it for a few quid and it turns out even though you can’t buy the season pass or the episodes anymore it allows you to download the episodes from within the game itself....for now.

Its of questionable quality based on reviews but the fact I was told I couldn’t get it anymore meant I had to buy it.

All episodes downloaded and my copy of Tales if Monkey Island for PC arrived so my collection is complete.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm guessing you got lucky there, because if the previous owner had downloaded episodes 2-5 already, presumably you'd not have been able to? I remember going to buy the physical FFX/FFX-2 Vita collection from CEX but it was only the first game on the cart, and part 2 was a download code. I didn't buy it in the end because the guy said there was no way of testing whether the code had already been used or not.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: June 30th, 2019, 9:02 am I'm guessing you got lucky there, because if the previous owner had downloaded episodes 2-5 already, presumably you'd not have been able to? I remember going to buy the physical FFX/FFX-2 Vita collection from CEX but it was only the first game on the cart, and part 2 was a download code. I didn't buy it in the end because the guy said there was no way of testing whether the code had already been used or not.
It’s a season pass disc. So no code in the box and infinite uses providing you can download the episodes still. I might be wrong but I don’t think you can on the Xbox store anymore.

It’s really odd and I was worried when there was no paperwork in the box but apparently it’s a telltale thing. The disc itself is the season pass.
James

Post by James »

Sounds like Telltale wanted to put a disc out before the full season was released, which means (as you say) the disc itself is a download key. Unless I'm mistaken, this is similar to how backwards compatible games work on Xbox One. The disc has to be in to play, I'm guessing?
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

James wrote: June 30th, 2019, 10:12 pm Sounds like Telltale wanted to put a disc out before the full season was released, which means (as you say) the disc itself is a download key. Unless I'm mistaken, this is similar to how backwards compatible games work on Xbox One. The disc has to be in to play, I'm guessing?
Yes. It doesn’t work without the disc. If I’m honest I’m not especially fond of the idea but is the only way to obtain it now. If this was what they had to do to get a physical release then I’m glad they did because otherwise it would have vanished completely.
CW__17

Telltale Walking Dead

Post by CW__17 »

Hi all,

New here so apologies if this has been discussed before or I'm posting this in the wrong place.

As I'm new I've got a great back catalog of podcasts so I'm working my way through games I've played and it's giving me a bit more purpose to play games that I own but never got round to playing at the time.

This brings me to the Walking Dead, I just finished Season 1 which I thought was brilliant and made my way onto podcast episode 66 which I'm thoroughly enjoying. I have seen though after Season 1 there doesn't seem to be anymore podcasts covering it which is disappointing as I think the discussions around this game were brilliant!

Just curious as to why the coverage stopped after Season 1? Love the podcast, not knocking anyone for not covering it my curiosity just got the better of me!
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Just too many games to cover I guess, I'd imagine the later seasons are all of 'the big list' for consideration at some point.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Telltale Walking Dead

Post by ratsoalbion »

CW__17 wrote: June 4th, 2020, 10:41 amJust curious as to why the coverage stopped after Season 1? Love the podcast, not knocking anyone for not covering it my curiosity just got the better of me!
Just not enough enthusiasm. I played and completed season two before giving up on it.
Hardly any of the rest of the team have even played season two, let alone the remaining series'.

But yes, as Alex says, every Telltale game/series that we haven't yet covered is on the big list.
CW__17

Post by CW__17 »

Fair enough that makes sense cheers for the replies!

Looking forward to starting Season 2 anyway once I finish off the podcast :)

Loving working my way through the backlog of podcasts anyway so I'll not struggle for listening!