Videogame Deals

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Videogame Deals

Post by DomsBeard »

https://www.amazon.co.uk/apb/page/ref=g ... Z9VY2SW2YA

Amazing PSVR deals on Amazon. I would go for the £180 with Astro Bot and get the move controllers from CEX
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: November 16th, 2018, 11:11 am https://www.amazon.co.uk/apb/page/ref=g ... Z9VY2SW2YA

Amazing PSVR deals on Amazon. I would go for the £180 with Astro Bot and get the move controllers from CEX
https://www.game.co.uk/en/playstation-v ... tv-2554144

Game have a better deal. Same price but with RE7 too
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My word that's tempting. Really is.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Very good deal but online only if anyone is tempted to make a journey etc.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

The Prey Complete Edition is currently heavily discounted on PSN. I grabbed it based purely on the Mooncrash reception of a certain someone... :P

Might take a while before I get to it, though.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

You’ll need to play it before the end of the year so we can tabulate your GOTY vote ;)
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

The SNK 40th Anniversary Collection physical edition on Switch is now cheaper on Amazon than the eshop version, giving you the sell it option should you ever want to. Though not sure why you would!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

I bought it digitally just because I want it permanently installed, along with all my other ‘retro’ stuff.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

PSN:

Astrobot VR is almost half price which is a great deal for what’s supposed to be a really good game.

Also a good time to stock up on cheap VR favourites like Statik etc.

Does anyone around here have any strong opinions on the Danngaronpa series?

Since my successful foray into the sim world with Spintires, I have found myself eyeing up those silly hunting and fishing games on the store.

Train World has a good discount:
CSX continues to employ a large fleet of veteran GP40-2s in road, local, and switching duties across its system. And, the successful Electro-Motive GP40-2, in classic CSX “YN2” and modern “YN3b” liveries, joins the GP38-2 as authentic motive power to move tonnage over the Northeast Corridor New York route.
I don’t know if I can resist, it’s like reading erotica :D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: November 17th, 2018, 9:12 am Does anyone around here have any strong opinions on the Danga(n)ronpa series?
Well, I'm saving my series playthrough for an opportune moment, but everything I've seen and heard so far leads me to believe that they are fairly similar to Zero Escape in terms of concept, structure and art style. So if you didn't like 999, I doubt you'd have a drastically different opinion of Danganronpa.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

Thanks! I didn’t mind 999; it just wasn’t quite my cup of tea. I intend to play through VLR at some point, to give the genre a fair crack of the whip. Ideally I would also play a visual novel not based on the escape room idea.

But yeah, it makes no sense to look at others without playing the one already in my backlog. I can wait for other sales.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

KSubzero1000 wrote: November 17th, 2018, 9:26 am
Chopper wrote: November 17th, 2018, 9:12 am Does anyone around here have any strong opinions on the Danga(n)ronpa series?
Well, I'm saving my series playthrough for an opportune moment, but everything I've seen and heard so far leads me to believe that they are fairly similar to Zero Escape in terms of concept, structure and art style. So if you didn't like 999, I doubt you'd have a drastically different opinion of Danganronpa.
I really like danganronpa. I’ve played the two original games with the 3rd one queued up although I won’t get around to it for a couple of years I think.

It has some things in common with zero escape but more I’d say with phoenix Wright. It’s absolutely bonkers but quite quite brilliant it’s very dark in tone but hilarious in equal measure.

I thoroughly recommend it.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Chopper wrote: November 18th, 2018, 8:58 am Ideally I would also play a visual novel not based on the escape room idea.
Well now that Simon mentioned it, there's going to be an Ace Attorney collection at some point early next year. That would be another one worth looking into, very different from 999 in terms of structure and tone. And those games are ancient, I'm sure they'll be heavily discounted in two shakes of a lamb's tail.

(Also, misery loves company, and we need more souls wailing in desperation at the lack of localization of the Sherlock Holmes spin-offs.)
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

My only issue with those types of games is that they're far too bloody long. I'd got bored with 999 hours before it finished, same with the first (and only one I've played) Phoenix Wright game. I'm enjoying my play through of Steins Gate but again, same problem, I'm around ten hours in and nothing has happened!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Picked up and finished MINIT on Xbox One for a fiver. A delightful micro zelda-like.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Alex79uk wrote: November 18th, 2018, 11:54 am My only issue with those types of games is that they're far too bloody long. I'd got bored with 999 hours before it finished, same with the first (and only one I've played) Phoenix Wright game. I'm enjoying my play through of Steins Gate but again, same problem, I'm around ten hours in and nothing has happened!
I see your point and steinsgate (although good) is one of the most drawn out visual novel I’ve ever played. However in danganronpa you actually move around a 3D world collecting evidence before the trials which involve gameplay (I use the term loosely). They are also segmented into chapters so it seems to zip along a bit better.
Joshihatsumitsu

Post by Joshihatsumitsu »

I'm a big fan of those sort of games (most of the games on my Vita are visual novels), so I'm going to be very bias of my opinions of Danganronpa, etc.

I'd say if you see it on sale, and they are often on sale, give it a go. Worst case scenario: it doesn't click with you. Best case scenario: you'll be poorer, as you seek out more!
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

Just grabbed a PSVR in a sale and wanted to ask if anybody else has any issues using these with glasses? I'm shortsighted and read glasses could scratch the lenses. Is there anything you can buy to protect the lenses?
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

There are a number of options (some of these are US based unfortunately, including a guy who sells custom lens protectors).

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/comments/ ... d_glasses/

https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/wiki/inde ... protectors

That said, I wear glasses and haven't had any issues at all over the course of a year or so. Just be careful pushing the visor back and you should be ok (I guess this could vary based on glasses type so don't take my word for it). But no issues here.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

My final question on the visual novel thing: are there any VNs that don't have puzzles attached, or are they baked into the genre?