Videogame Deals

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future.
chase210

Re: Videogame Deals

Post by chase210 » May 15th, 2019, 7:24 am

If anyone wants Rage 2 on console, its £35 from Curry's with discount code RAGE10.

stvnorman

Post by stvnorman » May 15th, 2019, 7:33 pm

There’s been loads of good stuff on sale on Switch this week, but just spotted Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove has been added, which is the game plus all the DLC, at 50% Off, which is about £11.50 - I didn’t pay much attention to the exact amount in my excitement to buy it!

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 16th, 2019, 7:22 pm

Does that include the Spectre Of Torment expansion?

Craig

Post by Craig » May 16th, 2019, 10:42 pm

Yup! It includes everything so far and will also include the fighting game and King Knight expansion coming soon.

dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd » May 17th, 2019, 4:33 am

Epic Games Store are chopping a tenner off any game over £14. I picked up Hades for £5.49

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 17th, 2019, 5:10 am

Cheers dezm0nd, finally signed up for the inevitable Satisfactory.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 17th, 2019, 5:20 am

Man, so it’s a tenner off every game purchased, not just a one-use coupon. Fortnite must be making them bottomless pits of money :o

clippa

Post by clippa » May 17th, 2019, 6:19 am

My nephew would rather have a new pair of boots for his virtual action man on fortnite than a new game or a mountain made out of chocolate.
Him and his mates just plough whatever they can get into the thing.

Their business model seems to be pretty much "sell crack to kids". I'm not saying that lightly, I think there should be regulations in place as to what you can and can't sell kids through games, not just in the form of gambling loot boxes neither.
We all know games can be addictive, but some games are purposefully, cynically designed to be addictive, fair play if it's a one off purchase, but when you're using that to eke more and more money from people, children. I don't know, there's something about it all that doesn't sit well with me.

They've certainly stumbled across a winning formula and fair play to them for having the balls to try and challenge valves monopoly.
They seem to be going down the brute force, "throwing money around" path at the minute, buying up indie studios, paying for exclusives, hopefully they're working on delivering a better, or at least feature equal distribution platform to steam behind the scenes because I can't see people sticking around for long once the money runs out otherwise.

I mean, I just went to the webpage there now after reading the tenner off thing to see if there was anything I fancied, you can't even search by genre? I'm expected to go through every game one by one, or just type in a few game names to see if they're on there? Ain't nobody got time for that.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 17th, 2019, 6:29 am

Well-regarded early access rogue lite Hades is on there for about 6 quid now ;)

clippa

Post by clippa » May 17th, 2019, 6:41 am

I tried that when it came out and didn't much care for it. Things may have changed since, but I can remember getting to this room and spending five minutes chipping away at these two enemies, and dodging bombs they were constantly chucking at me.

I thought "either I've got to do this every run or it's progression based and I've got to slowly grind away until I can eventually one shot these pricks. Either way, I'm not having fun, I'm out."

It felt challenging, but not in a fun way, not for me at least.
I'll happily try it again when it's finished but I wasn't feeling it at the time.

I don't rate Supergiant at all, come to think of it, haven't played a game of theirs I like yet.

edit: Sorry, that came across a bit rude. I really appreciate the recommendation, it should be my jam, I should be all over it but I wasn't feeling it.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 17th, 2019, 7:03 am

clippa wrote:
May 17th, 2019, 6:41 am
edit: Sorry, that came across a bit rude. I really appreciate the recommendation, it should be my jam, I should be all over it but I wasn't feeling it.
Not at all, I’m on mobile so I couldn’t respond to the main thrust of your post so I was just poking fun and trying to catch you out. :D

Yeah, most of the naysayers I’ve seen so far have fallen into the moany ‘it’s not steam’ category; I’m aware there are potential real issues, techy and otherwise, but nothing that affects me too much. But yeah, I wasn’t really aware of the super-predatory stuff, that’s a good argument.

clippa

Post by clippa » May 17th, 2019, 8:36 am

I used to get some right stick for (amongst other things) not accepting steam as the one true distribution platform.
A forum I used to go to had a pc thread and it was actually called "the steam thread".

I'd try to convince people that steam was becoming a monopoly. It was at the time when they still had some quality control/curation and would pick and choose what got on the platform. If you couldn't get on steam, not always, but that usually meant that your small indie game wasn't going to gain any traction at all.

I'd argue that the best thing about pc gaming was that it was an open platform, most games by that point had their own little frontends that would check for new patches and download them automatically (they don't bother now since they're usually linked to some digital store or other), steam usually had a healthy price mark up and took a 33% cut or whatever it was rumoured at the time.
People were rebuying games they already owned on steam, just because they were on steam and I couldn't understand it.

The tides turned, it's fashionable now to put the boot in to valve at every available opportunity, but you're right, it's a bit hypocritical, give pc gamers an alternative, some healthy competition and they'll start to make their excuses.
A lot of their excuses are perfectly valid, I have to say that, but I hear you, they're a whining, moaning, bitchy lot at the best of times and everything without exception I've seen on the "pc gaming" corner of the net is viciously anti epic store at the minute.

I have to honest, I've fallen into the steam convenience trap in the intervening years. It's handy having everything in one place and having steam leaderboards and stuff like that.
I'll often wait for a game to come to steam if I know or heavily suspect it's coming. I'll buy stuff direct from the devs or on itch.io and some indie shmups on dlsite and stuff like that, but it's mostly steam.

I still trust valve more than epic at this point. I know which I'd rather have the monopoly, put it that way.

I read the other day that at E3 "This year the PC Gaming Show's presenting sponsor is the Epic Games store. Epic will reveal brand new material for several games, including some exclusives, coming to the Epic Games store."
This could well be another "do you guys not have phones?" moment. The room will be full of neckbeards and social anxiety, but if one of them builds up the confidence to start booing, it's all gonna kick off!

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 17th, 2019, 8:43 am

I'm not really in the know when it comes to PC gaming, but wasn't GoG viewed as a solid alternative to Steam not that long ago? I would assume that their no-DRM policy would prevent them from competing with other stores when it comes to the latest AAA titles. Are they still around?

clippa

Post by clippa » May 17th, 2019, 8:55 am

Yeah, GoG's still going strong, despite some fedora tipping twitter moments, I think they're still seen as the good guy DRM free mainstream platform.
I think you need a lot of money and clout to shoulder barge steam out of the way and nobody's been able to do that yet.

Epic are really going for it, throwing money around to get exclusives, trying to drag people away from steam with (you could argue) underhand tactics, there's been a lot of instances of upcoming games being advertised on steam for months, then someone's been handed a brown envelope and the page has quietly been deleted and it's now an epic store exclusive, sometimes games that were crowd funded and expressly offered donators "steam keys" as rewards.

They don't seem to be winning much goodwill or public favour but all's fair in love and war. Will be interesting to see where it all ends.

Alex79uk

Post by Alex79uk » May 18th, 2019, 1:53 pm

Cheap as chips: https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/lov ... 732798/amp

PS Classic, thirty notes as Argos.

duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak » May 20th, 2019, 2:19 am

For the next 11 hours, the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Classics bundle on Steam in $7.49. All 59 games.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 27th, 2019, 3:50 pm

For PC people, Fanatical has Stellaris and all its DLC (apart from the most recent one) at 50% off - the deal has been going for a few days and I can't tell when it expires.

If you were buying fresh, you'd want Stellaris (EUR 9.99) and probably Utopia (EUR 9.99). Most of the other DLCs are EUR 4.99 after that. Been mulling them over myself but I can't really see myself going back to the game when I have an unplayed backlog, even with this much fresh content. Such a good price though, very tempting.

Something to note: Stellaris runs fine on laptops with integrated graphics cards, if you were curious about it but think you don't have the hardware to run it. Obvs you need to meet the other minimum specs, which are fairly low I think.

KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 » May 27th, 2019, 4:57 pm

Chopper wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 3:50 pm
Something to note: Stellaris runs fine on laptops with integrated graphics cards, if you were curious about it but think you don't have the hardware to run it. Obvs you need to meet the other minimum specs, which are fairly low I think.
Nein.

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 28th, 2019, 6:41 am

KSubzero1000 wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 4:57 pm
Nein.
Chopper wrote:
May 27th, 2019, 3:50 pm
For PC people,
;)

Chopper

Post by Chopper » May 28th, 2019, 8:13 am

The well-regarded Skullgirls is €1.60 on Fanatical for the next 6 days - it's a Steam key and is the Complete version with all DLC.