Game that defines the console?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Game that defines the console?

Post by ratsoalbion »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: July 11th, 2019, 3:36 pm Alex The Kidd In Miracle World
Thought you could slip that one past me did ya? BANNED.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Sonic Hedgehog.
Ecco Dolphin.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

ratsoalbion wrote: July 11th, 2019, 5:19 pm
Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: July 11th, 2019, 3:36 pm Alex The Kidd In Miracle World
Thought you could slip that one past me did ya? BANNED.
Can I come back now please?

I promise I won't do it again.... :roll:
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

PS1 - Metal Gear Solid

PS2 - Tekken Tag

Xbox - Halo: Combat Evolved

Xbox 360 - Halo 3

PS3 - Killzone 2

Game Boy Colour- Pokemon Gold

Game Boy Advance - Golden Sun

GameCube - The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker

Mega Drive - Sonic 2

Nintendo 64 - 007: Golden eye

SNES - The Legend of The Mystical Ninja

Really cool thread, I tried not to think too long on any console and I was surprised by what I went with in some places. I didn't own those last 3 consoles but I played quite a lot and wanted to give my picks.

I know that SNES pick probably stands out so I'll give a lil explanation for that first. I never owned a SNES, Super Mario is the first thing that pops into my mind when I think of NES or SNES but not a specific game, just the series. The Legend of The Mystical Ninja was the first SNES game I actually played, it was at one of my friends houses in the mid 00's. I didn't even play it THAT much but I really liked it and it's just the first thing I think of when the SNES comes up so I had to go for it, even if it's a weird one.

PS2 was tough because dozens of games fly into my head. I went for Tekken Tag because for some reason when I think of PS2 the case for the platinum edition appears in my mind. San Andreas would take the spot but I might have played even more of it when I downloaded it for 360, I did a 100% completion on there as well. In a way San Andreas just defines my teenage years, it influenced my taste in music and because I went back to it so many times I have memories of playing it with various people I'm still close friends with, at different points from 13 through to my early 20s.

PS1 is the one I find the most interesting. I've spent thousands of hours on both FF7 & 9 over the years, I'm way more likely to go back to those games (I'm actually replaying both right now for the 100th time) BUT there was no question that MGS defines the PS1 for me, I felt really strongly that it had to be that. I'm not entirely sure why but I suspect advertising plays a big part in all of these choices.
Dyboyl

Post by Dyboyl »

MAG!

Now there’s a game I haven’t heard about in a while. It was an incredibly ambitious game which my friend and I got into in a big way. I think if they’d released it on the PS4 perhaps as a launch title it would have been a phenomenon.
Yeah, while never playing it myself or ever owning a PS3, a few games on the console just stood out for sounding so crazy ambitious and my teen brain definitely couldn't believe it. Who knows, maybe something similar will show up on the PS5 ;)