Which version of Doom 3?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
FemalePheromones

Which version of Doom 3?

Post by FemalePheromones »

All the talk of the Doom re-releases had me itching to play them. I'm currently playing the original then will go straight onto 2 as I have the 360 versions of both already.

The question is do I buy the new re-release of Doom 3 or just find the 360 version somewhere second hand?
Alex79

Re: Which version of Doom 3?

Post by Alex79 »

Seems the Xbox One port runs at 4k 60fps and has a few more UI options like field of view adjustments etc. It doesn't look like much more work has gone in to it that that, but it's so cheap personally I'd probably buy the new version.
FemalePheromones

Sounds good that's what I'll do.

Cheers.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

How you getting on with the original? Did you play it back in the day? I'm playing it now, just started the second chapter and the difficulty really jumps up from chapter one!
FemalePheromones

I've played it countless times not haven't actually played Vanilla Doom for quite a while as I tend to play the Project Brutality mod on PC but all the people talking about the re-releases got me in the mood for going back to basics.

I don't really think the difficulty ramps up that much at that point but the level designs definitely do when you get to E2 and again in E3. I'm on E4 at the moment and it's actually pretty ridiculous how hard it is from the beginning. Previously I was only saving at the start of each level but in E4 I'm saving constantly.

I actually nearly gave up and went straight to Doom 2 but really want to play it all.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah that first level on episode 2 really threw me after the simplicity of episode one, with all those warps about and stuff. Just wasn't expecting it!
FemalePheromones

Well be prepared for even more of a ramp up. Just don't look at the par times when you finish each level you will only depress yourself.