Need for Speed: Heat and the Conversation Around Racing Games

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Need for Speed: Heat and the Conversation Around Racing Games

Post by Alex79 »

My eldest really loves the Trials games, so tonight I introduced him to Trackmania Turbo, thinking it hits some of the same notes. He really enjoyed it, but for some reason another game popped in to my head and made me wish they'd bring the series back - Motorstorm. They were great arcade racers, particularly the second game in the series, Pacific Rift (?) I'd definitely be up for a new one of those.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Resurrecting this thread again for a new development. Ghost Games are being taken off the series, and Criterion are picking it back up again.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ ... -criterion

Seems like a pretty strange turn of events. After the dust settled it seemed like Heat was actually not bad, and Ghost was finally starting to get in to their stride. I'm still yet to try it out myself, but I did decide that I want to give it a go at some point. Perhaps the series was finally starting to go in the right direction. Meanwhile Criterion are not who they used to be. Most of the people who made them who they were left long ago, and they haven't been the lead developer on their own game in a long time, let alone even working on a racing game. Supposedly the reason for this is that it's hard to draw talent in at Ghost's location. Either way, it's the end of another era for the series, and once again towards an uncertain future.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Picked up Hotshot Racing on Switch for a tenner yesterday. Seems great so far, really oldskool Virtua Racing look to it, with drifting and loads of different cars. It seems like a solid arcade racer.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Also on Game Pass for those with an Xbox.