Back in time...

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
RetroClarence

Back in time...

Post by RetroClarence »

Hi all

I'm relatively new to the forums (thanks Jay for reinstating me!) but I've been a listener to Cane and Rinse for the past couple of years.

I like to start things from the beginning and I won't listen to an episode until I've played the game. That means I've listened to episodes in no particular order as and when I finish the games. However, what I really wanted to do is go back to the beginning so I've decided to use the Cane and Rinse episode archive as a play list. For example, with episode 1 (God of War 3), I'd only played the original God of War many years ago so I decided to replay that and then work my way through the series. I only listened to the episode when I finished the game.

Rather than play God of War games back to back, I alternated between those and the Resident Evil (main series) games as episode 2 is Resident Evil 4. I've now finished Resident Evil 4 (again!) and I'm now ready to go on to God of War (2018) as I like to see a series through.

I'm not sure if anybody else who either hasn't listened to the back catalogue or hasn't listened for a long time is interested in taking the journey back in time with me. The one thing I miss about not keeping up with the latest shows is that I can't really join in with the forum chat unless I've played the game recently. It would be cool to have a group playing through the older games and then listening to and chatting about the podcasts as if they were current almost.

I don't have bags of time for gaming so it can take a little while to play through the games. I also co-host the Retro Asylum podcast so that takes up a little time. I don't want to lose touch, however, with current and previous gen gaming and this would be a good way to keep me motivated.

Hopefully there are others who want to join in.

Chris
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Back in time...

Post by ratsoalbion »

Welcome back! I like the sound of this very much, and I hope it gains some traction!
Suits

Post by Suits »

I tend to go back to the older podcasts quite often, especially for titles I’ve missed in the past that I’d like to get into.

Like you say, I tend to play the game - then if I enjoy it try and consume as much related media on it as I can.

The two examples I can think of where I’ve bumped a thread to try and stimulate some conversation on it were Luigi’s Mansion and Zelda:The Minish Cap.

The only possible hurdle I can think of in trying to get some focus on older titles, may be the sheer breadth of choice regards older games covered.

I’m certainly interested though.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Wow, you're planning on playing through the entire back catalogue, then? That's very ambitious!

I might be able to join in on certain games if and when circumstances allow, but I can't promise much more than that at this point. Volume 1 has a fair few gems I've been meaning to replay, though!
Caligulas Horse

Post by Caligulas Horse »

I've seen something like this done on a forum I was on years ago, in that case it was a poster going through every upload from a long running YouTube channel and giving commentary on the videos with various highlights etc. It worked as a history of the channel, it was a great nostalgia trip for long time fans and a nice guide for people newer to the channel.

I think this a great idea, I couldn't commit to going through the entire catalogue with you but I'll follow this thread as you go and jump in where I can (I've got ICO on my list and I see that comes 3rd).

Good Luck!
RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence »

Let's see how far we get! Getting through the entire catalogue is going to be a tall order but you have to start somewhere, right?

It will jump around. For instance, with the Resi games, we'll be into Volume 6 almost straight away as Resident Evil 5 is the next resi game on the list. Assassins Creed is another series which features early but which has now only just been brought back into the Cane and Rinse series.

I also thought it would be good to have a group ready to play these games in co-op. I imagine that Resi 5 is a much better experience played as a co-op game so it would be nice to have a willing group of partakers.

@suits - I know what you mean. There are some people who won't want to play older games but they are so cheap now and so accessible so hopefully there are some who will want to re-visit or experience them for the first time.

The other way I thought of doing it was just using a random number generator and pull out a game at random. I'm open to ideas if others would prefer to do it slightly differently. Either way, playing the game alongside one another and then reflecting back both on the game and the accompanying episode will be good fun! It's already been fun to listen back to Cane and Rinse episode 1 and hearing the guys swear!! :)
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Speak soon
Suits

Post by Suits »

Gargoyle me up Buttercup...
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

RetroClarence wrote: September 18th, 2019, 12:57 pm Let's see how far we get! Getting through the entire catalogue is going to be a tall order but you have to start somewhere, right
This is what I have been doing the last few years but more as solo project than doing anything collaborative. I tend to play along with the current years games then when I’m done go back to the original list and work my way through.

I’ve got the rhythm heaven series and Driver San Francisco left in the first two volumes. It’s been really fun and a fulfilling way of ticking games off the checklist. I’ve got Spelunky on my vita, super Mario world on the WiiU, Mario 64 on my DS and the Last Story on the Wii all on the go at the moment. Basically whatever console I’ve got access to I’m ticking another podcast off the list.

I love playing along even more though ever since the MDK show when there was no feedback. I get a buzz when someone else on my friends list from the forum is playing the same game and it’s given me a bit of score chasing to do.

For example Leon’s ridiculously high Galaga high score is taunting me whilst I replay some of the old Galaxian series.

Both have merit and are really fun to do! I’m going to be tackling demons souls at some point again which would be good to do with some help. Chopper one of the other forum members was great at giving me hints and pointers which were invaluable.

Edit: I forgot to say I would love to jump in if there’s a co-op/multiplayer/high score board challenge. I’m sure it’d enhance the experience.
Suits

Post by Suits »

I’m gunna go back and play Rhythm Heaven too.

Which one you going to play Si ??
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Got the GBA rhythm tengoku (Boxed) Japanese import but got stuck on one particular level, similar to DS game which I got stuck on too. Got the Wii version left to give a whirl.

There’s a rhythm heaven arcade cabinet in an arcade in Soho. It made me want to give it another go from the beginning.
RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence »

The Rhythm Heaven series is definitely one I'lll look forward to it. I love a bit of Japanese obscura!

Simon, it's great to have somebody willing to join in a co-op game. Once I've finished God of War it will be onto Resident Evil 5 and Gears of War. Perhaps I could hit you up when I get there?

How do you play so many games at once by the way? Like Suits, I like to dive in deep with a game and consume as much as I can. I've just finished FF7 and I think I've gone a bit overboard (although haven't watched Advent Children yet, that's one for the weekend)!
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, cool. I had to stop playing the Wii version as the lag from my Wii U was killing it - this time I’ll beat those mice on that clock now that I have my Wii and PVM set up 😄.

Where in Soho is the cabinet ??
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: September 18th, 2019, 10:11 pm Ah, cool. I had to stop playing the Wii version as the lag from my Wii U was killing it - this time I’ll beat those mice on that clock now that I have my Wii and PVM set up 😄.

It’s called Las Vegas and the outside looks like a dodgy gambling place but it’s actual a haven for the most random arcade cabinets from Japan. They do have the expected time crisis, street fighter, guitar hero but there were quite a few in Japanese only where I had no idea how to play them.
Suits

Post by Suits »

RetroClarence wrote: September 18th, 2019, 10:09 pm How do you play so many games at once by the way?
I know your question may have been aimed at Simon, Clarence but I’ll throw my 2p in too if you don’t mind 😄.

Generally, I have three games on the go at once. One current game, one current platforms, then one from a backlog list that I have going that I’ve either missed or never got around too, then one retro game for fun.

So currently, it’s Astral Chain, Paper Mario: Thousand year door and Gargoyles Quest on the GameBoy.

By keeping to three in broad genres almost I stay focussed on finishing games but don’t get bored.

Random question, but you must know Aly Hogg then ??
Suits

Post by Suits »

Simonsloth wrote: September 18th, 2019, 10:19 pm
Suits wrote: September 18th, 2019, 10:11 pm Ah, cool. I had to stop playing the Wii version as the lag from my Wii U was killing it - this time I’ll beat those mice on that clock now that I have my Wii and PVM set up 😄.

It’s called Las Vegas and the outside looks like a dodgy gambling place but it’s actual a haven for the most random arcade cabinets from Japan. They do have the expected time crisis, street fighter, guitar hero but there were quite a few in Japanese only where I had no idea how to play them.
Yes, I know it - cool I’ll look in there, always just used to pass it up as a moody slot machine place.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

RetroClarence wrote: September 18th, 2019, 10:09 pm How do you play so many games at once by the way? Like Suits, I like to dive in deep with a game and consume as much as I can. I've just finished FF7 and I think I've gone a bit overboard (although haven't watched Advent Children yet, that's one for the weekend)!
I don’t plan to have so many it’s just that it hugely depends on whether my kids are up, if my wife wants the TV or if I’m on the train etc.

Mario 64 is my current handheld game with spelunky if my DS runs out of battery. WiiU tablet for Super Mario World if my wife wants the TV etc. I was playing Kirby’s Epic Yarn with my 4 year old and now we are inching through Donkey Kong Country Returns. I have to stop myself getting annoyed when he repeatedly dies leaving me with one life to make it though a whole level! It’s tough enough as it is. I’m also working my way through Planescape on my laptop when I’m supposed to be working haha.

It sounds like a lot but most of them are fine in short, sharp bursts.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Suits wrote: September 18th, 2019, 10:22 pm
Simonsloth wrote: September 18th, 2019, 10:19 pm

Yes, I know it - cool I’ll look in there, always just used to pass it up as a moody slot machine place.
Me too. I’ve only ever been on a Friday and it’s heaving but in a good way. There’s always a machine or two free unless you want to play Dance Dance Revolution which you will definitely have to queue for. Everything else it’s usually a case of loitering nearby and you’ll get a go quickly when they run out of credits .
RetroClarence

Post by RetroClarence »

Suits wrote: September 18th, 2019, 10:20 pm
RetroClarence wrote: September 18th, 2019, 10:09 pm How do you play so many games at once by the way?
I know your question may have been aimed at Simon, Clarence but I’ll throw my 2p in too if you don’t mind 😄.

Generally, I have three games on the go at once. One current game, one current platforms, then one from a backlog list that I have going that I’ve either missed or never got around too, then one retro game for fun.

So currently, it’s Astral Chain, Paper Mario: Thousand year door and Gargoyles Quest on the GameBoy.

By keeping to three in broad genres almost I stay focussed on finishing games but don’t get bored.

Random question, but you must know Aly Hogg then ??
He's before my time at Retro Asylum but I feel like I know him well. I really need to get over to his shop. I'm in Kent so not a million miles away! Do you know him?
Suits

Post by Suits »

Ah, cool, yeah I know him.

You should get over to the shop and check out his arcade next door too 😎.