The Last of Us Part II

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Re: The Last of Us Part II

Post by Stanshall »

It's been review bombed by the usual dunces.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Stanshall wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 2:21 pm It's been review bombed by the usual dunces.
I stopped taking reviews seriously either side of the fence after IGN gave Alien Isolation a 5.9.

Seconded on the headphones is it night and day playing with them and without, well for me anyway as with little ones upstairs I can't play at a volume worth while on a night.

Early thoughts. It'll take something extraordinary for me to not
Spoiler: show
Pay Abby the same care and attention she gave Joel though I guess that is going to be the point of the story?, you get to that point and you don't want to anymore?. Interested to see where it goes. Enjoying the little extra optional buildings you can visit around the map which help flesh things out a bit.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

KSubzero1000 wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 11:00 am Hm... Shall I? :|
No! :lol:

Cinematic AAA release, prioritises set pieces and stories over gameplay mechanics, sounds like everything you hate in games haha.

I can't wait to play it!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

DomsBeard wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 2:37 pm
Stanshall wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 2:21 pm It's been review bombed by the usual dunces.
I stopped taking reviews seriously either side of the fence after IGN gave Alien Isolation a 5.9
But that’s just that one person’s opinion, they gave their assessment of how much they enjoyed the game exactly the same as we do. That one review of that one game has no bearing on anyone else’s review of other games.

Did you stop taking videogame podcasts opinions seriously after I said I didn’t like Shenmue?
I’m not sure you even decided to disregard my opinion on other games...

Or perhaps you never gave that any credence in the first place 😆
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

ratsoalbion wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 2:43 pm
DomsBeard wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 2:37 pm
I stopped taking reviews seriously either side of the fence after IGN gave Alien Isolation a 5.9
But that’s just that one person’s opinion, they gave their assessment of how much they enjoyed the game exactly the same as we do. That one review of that one game has no bearing on anyone else’s review of other games.

Did you stop taking videogame podcasts opinions seriously after I said I didn’t like Shenmue?
I’m not sure you even decided to disregard my opinion on other games...
No I could see your points and couldn't overly disagree, that particular review did receive traction at the time (https://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/03 ... ion-review)

It was this quote that did me in:

''And in hindsight, playing on Hard difficulty – which I only did because Isolation actually describes it as “the recommended way to experience the game” – was a terrible decision. It means the Xenomorph can get you anywhere at any time, giving you no opportunity to avoid death, and run you down if it hears so much as a pin drop. Sure, a flamethrower blast or Molotov cocktail can ward it off for a moment, but alien-repelling resources are extremely scarce. Don’t make the same mistake I did.''

As someone who does not categorically like hard games on any level(looking at you Souls) I found this a strange take. I completed Alien Isolation on hard and it is high up in my top 10 of all time, I replayed it on normal and it was comical as the Alien AI was so dumbed down.

It's probably just how my perception has changed I would back in the days of Mean Machines up to Games TM I would pay the scores within a lot of attention where as nowadays even though I still subscribe to Edge I am way more likely to pick up a game on recommendation from here than anywhere else.

Sorry to derail the thread but thought I would want to better put my point across.

Anyway bloody Clickers
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Alex79uk wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 2:37 pm
KSubzero1000 wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 11:00 am Hm... Shall I? :|
No! :lol:

Cinematic AAA release, prioritises set pieces and stories over gameplay mechanics, sounds like everything you hate in games haha.
Well, I'm perfectly capable of enjoying well-made games that are outside of my preferred niche. I like the first TLoU for what it does well and even found a lot to enjoy in RDR2 last year. Anyway, I hadn't planned on buying this at launch but the word-of-mouth makes it sound very enticing so far.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

In terms of gameplay it's far more dynamic than the original and improves on it in pretty much every way (except I can't say about the story yet because I haven't finished!)
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 3:18 pm In terms of gameplay it's far more dynamic than the original and improves on it in pretty much every way
Thanks, that's good to hear.

Only issue is that the definition of "good gameplay" can vary rather drastically depending on who you ask, so I'll have to see for myself at some point! Can't be that bad, anyway. :D
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Lot of user review bombing cause it has a lot of lgbt characters. “It’s not a game, it’s a political statement” is something I’m seeing a lot of people saying online.

The critical consensus isn’t quite that high either, it’s doing the thing where it’s been reviewed a lot more times in total than most games get because a lot of non games specific press is looking at it too. I’d be interesting in seeing what the standard deviation is if anyone can be bothered. (And the sites most down on it are tending to be those that have abandoned scores, like EG and Kotkau)
Suits

Post by Suits »

Flabyo wrote: June 22nd, 2020, 4:57 pm Lot of user review bombing cause it has a lot of lgbt characters. “It’s not a game, it’s a political statement” is something I’m seeing a lot of people saying online.
What a shame.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

This is like a combination of survival horror, MGSV and Rambo 3, except every minute of gameplay costs a million quid and six months of some dude's life animating the toggles on a backpack.

It's the best AAA game I've played since BotW. Pretty much on a par with Bloodborne at this stage, fifteen hours in. I'm also really enjoying revisiting the C&R issue on the original game, one of the first I ever listened to on my honeymoon about...five years ago. Superb show, and great to hear the much-missed Sean O' Brien, too! I can't wait for this one, whenever it comes...
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Not a spoiler story wise but I've found this odd re combat:
Two occasions I have had a guy cornered and he has surrendered and there's no other option but to kill them whilst they are cowering on the ground. If you do nothing either Dina kills them or they start attacking again.

Wonder if they planned having interrogation or being able to knock people out at some point?
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Wow. I've never seen that (which probably says a lot about my approach!). I wonder whether it's deliberate.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

Wasn't that technically a thing in the first game? Or at least the end of the E3 demo.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Bought, played the first chapter.

Very intense. Very expensive. Very ND.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Narrative wise

I hope that you don't find out what Joel did. I'm hoping you don't get to the point to kill Abby and you know what he did and you can see her point of view. Dlc with Joel doing whatever he did would be better retrospectively. Mind you this could already be in the game couldn't it?
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I just finished it. Through an almost total blackout of gaming related content online for the last two weeks I managed to get to the end without spoilers.

I echo an earlier comment that if it is humanly possible to, I urge anyone on the fence to try and do the same.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Following on from my post about combat:
Just on my way to the hospital and found a restaurant with a note about some people who have deserted the WLF, ok this could be interesting I thought.

Ended up in a hotel with a bench to upgrade and supplies and was jumped by said people as they announced they were not going back to the WLF and Ellie must be from the WLF. Only option then is to kill the four people.

Why didn't Ellie just say I'm not with the WLF?, enemy of my enemy is my friend and all that. Even if she said it and they said they didn't believe her. Everyone could have stood down and then the WLF turn up or some infected just to make it a little bit less Ellie vs the world?.

Sounds like I'm moaning but I find this and the other stuff odd when Naughty Dog are so good at the narrative side of things and it seems the answer to everything is kill everyone.

Bloody love this game though
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

It has just come to me this morning that
This is basically a 18 rated version of Super Mario Bros. Go from A to B killing everything in your way to be told your princess is in another castle.
Story wise I felt that
As horrible as the killing of the pregnant woman was I felt they showed their hand too early with that, after mentioning the character was pregnant in the first section as Abby then finding out who they were after killing Joel it was always in the back of my mind that Ellie would be killing that character at some point. I think it could have been more impactful had the player like Ellie having no idea about it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Figured out where the idea for The Last Of Us 2 came from :lol: :