You've been left an arcade by your long lost uncle!

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: You've been left an arcade by your long lost uncle!

Post by Alex79 »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: November 7th, 2019, 8:56 am No 'The Simpsons' anyone??

Essential 90s kid nostalgia choice surely!
I loved that game. Played through it entirely a couple of years ago in two player with my eldest. It was pretty fun for a while, but as with I guess probably most of those side scrolling brawlers (including Turtles, which I chose) it got rather tedious well before the end.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Alex79uk wrote: November 7th, 2019, 9:24 am
Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: November 7th, 2019, 8:56 am No 'The Simpsons' anyone??

Essential 90s kid nostalgia choice surely!
I loved that game. Played through it entirely a couple of years ago in two player with my eldest. It was pretty fun for a while, but as with I guess probably most of those side scrolling brawlers (including Turtles, which I chose) it got rather tedious well before the end.
Definitely! It was alright when you were a kid in the arcade as you were never good enough to get that far, so the games never outstayed their welcome.

That was certainly the case for me anyway :roll:
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

The Simpson’s arcade game is the reason finding working TMNT machines is tricky, it was a conversion kit. So for almost every Simpson’s arcade machine you saw, a turtles one died.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Turtles made a lot more sense anyway, but they feel identical to play (unsurprisingly).
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

clippa wrote: November 7th, 2019, 10:46 am Donatello was cheat mode, I remember, poking everyone in the belly from half a screen away.
Ha yeah, I was always him. I remember my friend telling me he beat the game in the arcade at our bus station when we were kids as Raphael, but I never believed him.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Simpsons had more moves (like the teamup moves) and a bit more variety and imagination than the first Turtles arcade game.

Highly disagree with clippa that beat ‘em ups can’t have staying power, as especially the later Capcom ones and something like Winkysoft’s Guardians offer a lot more added layers of depth, but the standard Konami licensed ones are indeed not it.

That said, I included the 6 player double wide screen edition of Konami’s X-men, because it’s just a heck of a lot of fun to play that way in an arcade.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

There’s a reason Capcom’s Aliens versus Predator belt scroller was in my list. It’s a pretty good score attack game.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I forgot about that or I might have chosen it over Turtles. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs was another close call. That AvP one though is probably the best side scroller, and I include Streets Of Rage 2 in that.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

Alex79uk wrote: November 7th, 2019, 8:49 pm I forgot about that or I might have chosen it over Turtles. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs was another close call. That AvP one though is probably the best side scroller, and I include Streets Of Rage 2 in that.
I had no idea this game existed. Love those comic book high kicks and freaky end boss fights. Loved the cartoon as a kid, think I might still have the tabletop role playing game manual somewhere...

Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

I like this thread and I like the turn it's taking even more. :lol:
Sinclair Gregstrum

Flabyo wrote: November 7th, 2019, 10:28 am The Simpson’s arcade game is the reason finding working TMNT machines is tricky, it was a conversion kit. So for almost every Simpson’s arcade machine you saw, a turtles one died.
I did not know this, and it makes me sad (I loved The Simpsons game, but I was crazy into TMNT - in fact I'm sat at my desk right now staring at 3 Raphael action figures. 36 years old....)
Michiel K wrote: November 7th, 2019, 12:34 pm Simpsons had more moves (like the teamup moves) and a bit more variety and imagination than the first Turtles arcade game.
My man-child love for all things Turtles aside, you’re right, Simpsons does have little more about it than the original TMNT. From memory the animation is smoother and more intricate as well, with nicer looking sprites and art direction overall.
duskvstweak wrote: November 7th, 2019, 8:57 pmI had no idea this game existed.
I too did not know the Cadillacs & Dinosaurs arcade game existed! I need to play this! I did know there was a game for Mega CD and PC, but it’s some sort of weird FMV thing that’s supposed to be terrible I think.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: November 8th, 2019, 9:23 am My man-child love for all things Turtles aside, you’re right, Simpsons does have little more about it than the original TMNT. From memory the animation is smoother and more intricate as well, with nicer looking sprites and art direction overall.
Yeah, I love the freaky, laughing inflating Krusty the Klown balloon boss that scales all the way out and deforms. So trippy.

Turtles in Time is probably the game that you could feel good about proclaiming as the best in that whole string of Konami licensed beat 'em ups, as a Turtles fan, though!
Sinclair Gregstrum

I really want one of these recently-released Arcade 1Up mini-cabs. Has both games in there!

https://arcade1up.com/products/teenage- ... de-cabinet

Some of their previous cabs have made it over to the UK and not seen this one listed anywhere yet - US and Canada only right now. Boo!