2019 in Gaming and your Game of the Year

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ColinAlonso

Re: 2019 in Gaming and your Game of the Year

Post by ColinAlonso »

As usual I didn't jump on many new releases this year and Wargroove is the only 2019 release I finished, With that in mind here's my 5 favourite games that I played for the first time this year. Red Dead Redemption 2, Donkey Kong '94 and Tetris Effect all just missed out on the list.

5. Yakuza Kiwami 2
My third favourite Yakuza after 0 and 5. It has all the elements that make the series great and one of the better stories in the series too.

4. Wargroove
An homage to Advance Wars for sure, but it feels like the developers really thought through the changes they could and should make to that formula. A lot of those tweaks worked for me and I enjoyed it more than the DS Advance Wars games.

3. Crypt of the Necrodancer
Roguelites are not particularly appealing to me but I found this one challenging while being accessible and fair. I quickly knew how most things worked in the game. Moving to the beat just adds a bit more fun too.

2. Wandersong
I started by happily grinning at how colourful, twee and silly it was. Then I got to know the main characters and their world. Seeing how the bard and Miriam developed through the many twists of their journey was great. By the end I was grinning again but now at how heartwarming and touching the whole thing was.

1. Spider-Man
Swinging is great, combat is fun. The story is good, if a bit rushed and overloaded in places. I felt the voice acting was top notch for most characters. The graphics are lovely. The whole thing was a really fun time.
Chopper

Post by Chopper »

I'm surprised Tetris 99 didn't feature more heavily - it seemed to burn brightly earlier in the year.
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

I think SMM2 has to be up there as it was easily my most played game. Arguably the most fun I had was playing Luigi's Mansion 3 though. Even with some awkward controls it didn't do enough to detract from the fun. Great to see Nintendo continue to release absolute bangers on the Switch too. My first LM game and I'd like to play the others now.
ADumican83

Post by ADumican83 »

Going into 2020 I've told myself no new games until I've made a dent in the backlog. Trying to save money and with the games I own but haven't touched I should have enough to last until the end of the year when I'll hopefully have saved enough for one of the Next Gen consoles.