New PS3 (Slimmer still: 12GB & 500GB models)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
TomFum

New PS3 (Slimmer still: 12GB & 500GB models)

Post by TomFum »

Had an email from Sony this morning revealing this new PS3

I have to ask why. Ok one comes with a 500gig hard drive but the Slim is more than small enough. Also whats with doing a 12gig version, thats proper wierd.

Have a read see what you think, i think whats the point.

http://uk.playstation.com/new-ps3/
Xantiriad

Re: New PS3

Post by Xantiriad »

2 reasons

1. To get the manufacturing costs down so they can push the console into new markets like India, Brazil and Russia. Sony has historically done this at the end of the cycle (see PSOne and the PS2 Slim)

2. As a stop gap measure before the next device and to appeal to those perceived (non-existent) Wii owners who might not take the Wii-U as an upgrade path. It's pitched to compete on price and features. It is also a cheap jumping on point for those looking to switch from another console for PS+.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

What Gary said. As with previous late cycle 'slimmer still' releases these will make lots of money for Sony to plough into future projects.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

It doesn't surprise me, Sony have done "budget" versions of all their main consoles to date. I have to say though I personally think that grooved design for those top panels is fugly as hell but the 500Gb HHD ain't bad though.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

JaySevenZero wrote:It doesn't surprise me, Sony have done "budget" versions of all their main consoles to date. I have to say though I personally think that grooved design for those top panels is fugly as hell but the 500Gb HHD ain't bad though.
Obviously this is a subjective thing but I think all models of the PS3 have been pretty crappy looking. I'll be sticking with my once 40GB now 320GB model but should it die I'll replace it with this new 500GB slimmy slimmer unit.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

One interesting thing: no rear USB port for PlayStation Eye. No doubt a result of the poor Move pick-up but you'd think with MS changing their console design to make Kinect "symbiotic" that they could have achieved something similar in the redesign.

Not a biggie. Just interesting.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just two USB ports total then? What did the original launch machine have, 4 or 6?
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

Xantiriad wrote:One interesting thing: no rear USB port for PlayStation Eye. No doubt a result of the poor Move pick-up but you'd think with MS changing their console design to make Kinect "symbiotic" that they could have achieved something similar in the redesign.

Not a biggie. Just interesting.
The launch model had four at the front and the first slim has two.

Hmm, a rear USB was something I kinda wanted since the launch back in '07, not necessarily for anything other than keeping the charging cable out of sight rather than it sticking out of the front ports.

I do wonder what Sony's plans are regarding the Move? I still think it's an interesting controller but it's mostly been just the first party devs that have done anything with it.
Roy42

Re: New PS3 (Slimmer still: 12GB & 500GB models)

Post by Roy42 »

I may very well get this, actually. Admittedly, getting one of the old PS3s with backwards compatibility would be nice, it's hard to find one for a reasonable enough price. I find it ludicrous that the 12GB model is only $100 cheaper (Australia) than the 500GB one. Still, if I can upgrade the hard drive, I could get the cheaper one and spend the saved money on a 1 or 2TB drive and come out on top.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Yes if the HDD is still easily swappable then that sounds like a great plan. I assume one would still have to format that new drive to FAT32 though.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

JaySevenZero wrote:I do wonder what Sony's plans are regarding the Move? I still think it's an interesting controller but it's mostly been just the first party devs that have done anything with it.
I imagine the development cost vs the size of potential audience is a problem with the various movement controllers that are about. I thought the Move's closer parity with the Wii control system could see companies produce across those two platforms, but I suppose the issue of porting prevented that? Perhaps there is scope with the Wii U if the wiimote and nunchuck still play a big part in some of the games that come out for it? Will a set of those be bundled in the box?
Roy42 wrote:Admittedly, getting one of the old PS3s with backwards compatibility would be nice, it's hard to find one for a reasonable enough price.
I do think it's a shame they stopped that. I think if it had never been available I wouldn't think about it, but to take it away was a strange one.

I like the idea of the even slimmer, as I'll be picking up the PS3 next year to catch up on stuff I missed.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

There are a load of Wii to Move ports (mostly lightgun): HotD: Overkill, Dead Space Extraction, RE Chronicles... just off the top of my head.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

But devs sitting down building games that really make the most of the that control configuration, knowing they could release on both platforms?
(Not owning either console means I'm just going from things I've read or heard about, or not read or heard about in this case.)
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

ratsoalbion wrote:There are a load of Wii to Move ports (mostly lightgun): HotD: Overkill, Dead Space Extraction, RE Chronicles... just off the top of my head.
Yeah there are those, but I was thinking of ones that try to utilise it in a more interesting manner such as Echochrome 2 and LBP2.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

magicjoef wrote:
Roy42 wrote:Admittedly, getting one of the old PS3s with backwards compatibility would be nice, it's hard to find one for a reasonable enough price.
I do think it's a shame they stopped that. I think if it had never been available I wouldn't think about it, but to take it away was a strange one.
This was the one thing that really irked me as I don't think of it as a strange move by Sony but as a cynical one, they simply removed it because it meant that they could then charge us for digital versions of PS1 and PS2 games, rather than have us play the versions we already owned. They argued at the time that it was to reduce production costs but although the original US and Japan launch models had hardware installed inside for backwards compatibility, the European models ran it as software emulation. That's not to say that it didn't reduce some cost in not installing it, but surely they could have perhaps give us the drivers to run it via the PSN store - they could even have charged for it - giving gamers the choice if they so wished.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

Fair enough and all that but i dont really see the point when the Slim is small enough as it is.

I like the fact they have woken up though and stuck a 500gig drive with it. About time i say.

I think it looks ugly though comapred to the Slim. Still for those that dont have a PS3 yet its a good one to get i guess

(i like the fact when i come back to my past's the titles are editied LEON!!)
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Just added a clarification to help people navigate the forum, Fumster. I do it to a lot of threads.
:)

Thing is Fum you - and more importantly Sony - can't ignore those markets that Xantiriad mentioned. They're extremely lucrative for 'last gen' systems long after this gen has finished for wealthy, enthusiast gamers. In Brazil & Eastern Europe the Master System was still a big deal well into the 2000's for example. When you ask 'What's the point?' of a corporation doing something the answer is always the same: maximising profit.
TomFum

Post by TomFum »

lol i wasnt moaning about it, just think its funny the titles changed when i get back.

Ok i see what your saying, i suppose i never really think of them as i would have thought they were big enough economies to be included in the first round of things, if that makes sence but i guess not. Its all about the cash money i guess
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Roy42 wrote:I may very well get this, actually. Admittedly, getting one of the old PS3s with backwards compatibility would be nice, it's hard to find one for a reasonable enough price. I find it ludicrous that the 12GB model is only $100 cheaper (Australia) than the 500GB one. Still, if I can upgrade the hard drive, I could get the cheaper one and spend the saved money on a 1 or 2TB drive and come out on top.
Just a warning the 12GB model requires and external enclosure (peripheral) for the HDD upgrade and it will be for 5" drives and not the internal 2.5" ones found in the current PS3s.

As a note of further caution your have to be careful with drive speeds and eco features on modern HDDs: they can actually make the PS3 unusable if they rely on heavy caching and higher speeds. I did a lot of research when I added a 1TB drive to my Slim.

Also once you upgrade the 12GB version you won't be able to access the 12GB flash drive, according to sources today.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Okay further info. It is still 2.5" drives the previous info was bogus.

PlayStation Blog post has been updated.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/09/ ... d-lighter/

And Eurogamer have prices

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012- ... duper-slim