Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Combine Hunter

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by Combine Hunter »

Spoiler: show
03/01 - Disco Elysium (PC)
03/02 - DUSK (PC)
12/02 - Baba is You (PC)
13/02 - Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PSP - via Castlevania: Dracula X)
21/03 - Dying Light (PC)
24/03 - Ori and The Will of the Wisps (PC)
04/04 - DOOM: Eternal (PC)
05/04 - Resident Evil 3 (PC)

I really enjoyed this, but ultimately I prefer the original PS1 release and it's certainly not special in the way 2make was.

I'm so in the pocket for this style of game though.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Simonsloth wrote: April 5th, 2020, 8:51 pm Just in case anyone is worried I am fine.
Good to hear!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Great news!
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Jan - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (XOX)
Feb - The Last Of Us - Left Behind (PS4 Pro)
Feb - God Of War (PS4 Pro)
Mar - The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening (Switch)
Apr - Panzer Dragoon (Switch)

Apr - Twin Breaker: A Sacred Symbols Adventure (Vita)

Looking back over my completed games lists for the last few years, it looks like this is my first completion on Vita since Severed in 2017! Poor thing has rather been usurped since the Switch came along!

Twin Breaker is a classic brick-breaker in the mould of Breakout and Arkanoid. I've always had a soft spot for the genre since I played one obsessively on my Dad's Acorn RiscPC back in the day (can't remember the name of it mind!), and there's just something about the physics and the basic act of destroying blocks that is so innately satisfying to me!

Here the 'Twin Breaker' part of the title is a big clue as to what makes this game slightly different from a standard brick breaker - you have at least two paddles under your control at any one time, one assigned to the left thumbstick, and the other to the right. On later levels you even end with four to manoeuvre - two per thumbstick split across the X & Y axes. It is a nice twist on a classic template and things can get really quite tricky at times over the 40 levels of the campaign. And I say campaign, as there's an actual sci-fi space-exploration narrative here that's told through basic cutscenes that, while a little heavy-handed, feature some quite well-written dialogue and exposition to break up the arcade action. There is also an interesting array of transformative power-ups that alter the properties of the paddles and ball, and they'll either really help you out of a tricky spot or completely screw you over, making collecting/avoiding them a crucial key to success.

So if the first part of the name is a clue to how the game plays, the second part ('A Sacred Symbols Adventure') tells you where it's from, or at least how it's funded. This is essentially a small indie title by Lillymo Games (developer of the shmup Habroxia), but it is funded and written by Colin Moriarty, the host of the 'Sacred Symbols' Playstation podcast. The game even stars Moriarty and his co-host, YouTuber Chris "Ray Gun" Maldonado, as the pilots of the two ships that act as the paddles during gameplay.

Moriarty is a slightly controversial figure, probably more so than is actually deserved in reality. For many years he and Greg Miller basically ran the Playstation coverage of IGN including hosting the popular Podcast Beyond, before the two of them left with a couple of other colleagues in 2015 to form Kinda Funny (a Patreon-funded YouTube channel/podcast factory). Moriarty then departed to set up Colin's Last Stand in 2017 (from which Sacred Symbols derives) following a good old-fashioned Twitter storm, in which he made a slightly off-colour joke that got him crucified and everyone fell out in typical internet playground style.

I only add the above context as I know some people aren't big fans of Colin Moriarty and may not wish to support his endeavours, as that aside Twin Breaker is really good little game. If you're a fan of brick breakers it is absolutely worth your time, and as it is cross-buy (although not cross-play) with PS4 and Vita, for the price of £8.99 you get the game on two systems for the price of one!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: February 10th, 2020, 11:00 pm Jan 10th - Spider-Man (PS4)
Jan 26th - Children of Morta (XBO)
Feb 10th - Indivisible (XBO)
April 6th - Monument Valley 2 (iOS)

Hmm. Nice enough, but felt less interesting in terms of puzzle design than the previous game (and especially the previous games expansions).

Free though at the moment, so worth a look.
andthenweplay

Post by andthenweplay »

So far this year I finished

Fire Emblem: Three Houses in January and leading into February
Super Mario Odyssey and Astral Chain in February
Legend of Zelda Link's Awakening in March

And so far in April I have only finished Kirby Star Allies. I am going to for 100% on this one
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 1 - Wonder Boy in Monster World (Sega Mega Drive Mini)
Jan 5 – FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 21 – God of War (PS4)
Feb 6 – Into The Breach (Switch) (Normal)
Feb 10 – Wargroove: Double Trouble (Switch)
Feb 15 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
Feb 16 - Ristar (Switch)
Apr 4 - Florence (Android)
Simple story, with a nice clean clear animation style. I had a few small "awws" near the end so it had some impact. I wouldn't be that into it though.

Apr 8- Resident Evil 2 (2019) (PS4) (Leon - Standard)
It looks and sounds fantastic. I've only dabbled in the original before but the police station has been beautifully recreated here. I mentioned before that my greatest feeling was fear over using bullets. That left me as I got to the lab and I could cut loose a bit more. I had plenty for the final bosses. Despite that worry, I had quite a bit of fun and I'm definitely up for a 2nd run with Claire later in the year. I might enjoy that one even more.

I missed out on a B rank by 13 minutes. :x
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Doom Eternal - PC

I liked Doom 2016 but I must admit it's current status as a modern classic baffled me somewhat. I found it's combat chunky and fun, but simplistic. It's level design that rapidly funneled the player linearly through a series of locked off kill rooms felt at odds with the slow exploratory nature of it's secret hunting gameplay. As always I was pleased to see so many people enjoy the game but it never fully clicked for me.

Turns out, all they needed to do was up the difficulty and give me a dash button. I'm being reductive of course, there's a lot more at play in Doom Eternal.

They haven't just made the game "harder" but increased the complexity in clever ways, both in what it's asking of the player and of the threat posed by it's enemies. With each system that's been added or expanded; flame belch, blood punch, enemy weak points etc, it requires your brain be that much more engaged to the point where the game demands complete, unwaivering focus (even more so on harder difficulties). The result when you're playing well, is that zenlike flow state the best action games induce where the real world melts away. It has never been more welcome.

This, coupled with the new mobility options afforded the player in the form of the dash and the meat hook (grappling hook) transform the feel of every encounter. It allows for the kind of high skill manoeuvring that when mastered, turns each arena into a playground as you bounce around at lightning speed. I was grinning ear to ear the moment I realised that I could use the meat hook not only to pull myself towards an enemy, but use lateral movement to slingshot around the side and release, using the momentum to catapult away from danger and into a more advantageous position (Throwing out a flame belch, dropping a grenade and loosing a volley of rockets before hitting the ground of course).

I understand people's complaints that these changes have seen the game become a less pure shooter than it's 2016 predecessor. They're right, but it's become a purer action game that closer resembles Devil May Cry than it's more obvious inspiration. Doom Eternal is the best character action game since Bayonetta. All that's missing is a combo counter.

Alright, I'm being a little hyperbolic but this game very much scratches the itch I've had since DMC5 left me cold last year.

Collectables and secrets have been better woven into the flow of play too. Easier to find and often behind a small test of skill rather than the obtuse puzzle solving that often saw me spend an hour in 2016 without engaging in any combat. In a Doom game!

Yes the multiplayer is superfluous and the story is naff but I'm happy to ignore the former and paid the latter about as much attention as Doom Guy himself. That's not what I'm here for anyway, it's easy to hand wave for me.

Oh and play it on PC if you have the means. I've not seen any of the bugs and glitches that console players have encountered and the speed and accuracy of a mouse really helps tease the most of the combat system.

I totally get that this is not a game for everyone, but it very much is a game for me and something I find with increasing rarity in the AAA space.

Shout out to Ksub's review for tipping me over the edge on this one 👍
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

BaileyBoy wrote: April 9th, 2020, 11:21 am Shout out to Ksub's review for tipping me over the edge on this one 👍
Yay! :P

BaileyBoy wrote: April 9th, 2020, 11:21 am DMC5 left me cold last year.
Ahem... excuse me?

Heathen! :lol:
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

KSubzero1000 wrote: April 9th, 2020, 11:48 am Heathen! :lol:
Hehe 😏 I was waiting for that! To put it very simply...

Parts of the game were undeniably excellent but I didn't like:

Forced character swapping
Nero's consumable arm mechanic
V's moveset
Encounter design (compared to 3, the gold standard for me)
Mediocre boss fights

Nobody was more disappointed than me that I didn't get on with it 😔
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Aye, I can't really argue with too much of that (apart from the boss fights which I thought were excellent overall, and the encounter design which didn't really stand out to me one way or another). I found the level design and re-hashed story beats to be fairly disappointing as well.

It's far from a perfect game, but the rock-solid combat fundamentals allow me to easily ignore the smaller issues I have with it. The fact that it's the first top-tier game of its kind in what feels like an eternity certainly plays in its favor as well.

DMC3 4 LYF 8-)
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Yeah, I'm definitely in the minority amongst series fans with this one. Overall I'm glad it exists and that it was successful for Capcom. Hopefully it means we get a sequel that I'll gel with better.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I played through Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (with save states). I liked what I saw.
I also was hankering for me FPS action, so I went through Wolfenstein: The Old Blood. It's fun, doesn't overstay it's welcome and then falls flat on it's face with that last boss fight. Outside of those last moments, it's a perfectly enjoyable romp.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

03/01 - Disco Elysium (PC)
03/02 - DUSK (PC)
12/02 - Baba is You (PC)
13/02 - Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PSP - via Castlevania: Dracula X)
21/03 - Dying Light (PC)
24/03 - Ori and The Will of the Wisps (PC)
04/04 - DOOM: Eternal (PC)
05/04 - Resident Evil 3 (PC)
10/04 - Tangle Tower (Switch)

Really, really fun, well written Agatha Christie style detective adventure game.

Really beautiful art with limited but well executed animation. Sally is a great character.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Finished R3make.

Really enjoyed it but lacks the satisfaction of 2make. Solving puzzles and conquering areas of the map are my favourite things to do in resi games but this one had 2 small moments of it and the rest felt like it was strapped to the back of a rocket going 1000mph

To me, it felt like what 5 was to 4. A more action packed version of its predecessor but still fun

Doubt I'll be replaying it though.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Oh and I finished doom 64 which I really enjoyed.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

11 - 4 Axiom Verge (PS4)

Recording the podcast about it tonight, but I can already tell you that I did warm up to this one in the end, where it left me rather cold initially.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
02/04 - Lucah: Born of a Dream (NG+, Bad Ending)
14/04 - Yakuza 4 Remastered

Still a solid game, but I think this one has fallen down my ranking of the series over the years. Also I think I probably played this a bit too soon after finishing 3, despite trying to give it some space. The story isn't really as engaging as other entries. I have heard from a few places how this one supposedly has one of the most shark-jumpy plots in the series, which always struck me as odd. Playing it again, it's definitely on the tamer side for these games, so I don't know where that comes from.

The introduction of the new characters is a mixed bag, but generally on the positive end of the spectrum. Akiyama is still very charismatic, and the highlight of the newcomers. His affable aloofness is a breath of fresh air. Saejima is alright but a bit too self-serious. He has some good moments though, and his connection to Majima helps to flesh out both characters. Tanimura is probably the least interesting out of all of them, but I still kind of wish he would come back. He has a very different perspective than the sorts of characters you get in this series, and giving him a second shot might help make him a more appealing personality. All of their fighting styles are still pretty enjoyable, although they feel a bit underdeveloped here, in such a way that playing as each of them isn't very interesting until you get deeper in to each of their chapters.

Also with these games often the finale chapter is one of the biggest highlights, that can often make up for earlier moments when the story can drag. But here the finale is a bit underwhelming. You just go straight in to the final boss sequence without any final level to build up to it, and there isn't any big reveal or dramatic twist at the end. Just kind of ties up neatly, where all the most important stuff has already happened.

In a way this feels like a less interesting version of 5, as that tries a lot of the same kinds of things but goes much further with them. Although 5 has a lot of its own problems too, being so bloated. In a way it's similar to the Doom games, with Eternal on the mind recently. Very similar iterations on a formula, where the latter entry expands and improves a lot, but also gets bogged down in other ways. Or at least that's how I remember 5. I think I'm going to leave it quite a long time before I jump in to this remastered version though.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 1 - Wonder Boy in Monster World (Sega Mega Drive Mini)
Jan 5 – FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 21 – God of War (PS4)
Feb 6 – Into The Breach (Switch) (Normal)
Feb 10 – Wargroove: Double Trouble (Switch)
Feb 15 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
Feb 16 - Ristar (Switch)
Apr 4 - Florence (Android)
Apr 8- Resident Evil 2 (2019) (PS4) (Leon - Standard)
Apr 13 - Spider-Man: Turf Wars DLC (PS4)
Apr 14 - Spider-Man: Silver Lining DLC (PS4)

I finished the first part of the DLC before Christmas and decided to do these before the podcast is released. Its all more of the same and won't change opinions on Insomniac's Spider-Man.

Hammerhead is kinda boring though.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

Scrustle wrote: April 14th, 2020, 6:31 pm In a way this feels like a less interesting version of 5, as that tries a lot of the same kinds of things but goes much further with them.
Interestingly my experience with these two games is completely the opposite. I loved Yakuza 4 but recently started 5 and I found it unbearably dull.

The way I've played this series up to this point however is basically to just mainline the story, doing the odd side quest here and there if I encounter them. I've never found the content outside of the main plot and punching dudes to be that compelling.

With 5, I feel like I'm having the stuff I'd usually ignore forced upon me. I got a little way into the Saejima chapter in the snow and I just can't bring myself to go back to it. The game feels incredibly bloated to me, it could seriously have done with a heavy edit!

A real shame as I've loved my time with Yakuza since the PS2 era, playing one every few years or so. I had a similar experience with Judgement last year too, I guess maybe the more modern entries just aren't for me.