Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Alex79

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Max X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
APR - Yoku's Island Express (100%) (Switch)

APR - WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade on PS Vita)

Beat both the Royal Rumble and the tag team championship. I remember this being such a treat to play in the arcade with its huge, gorgeous colourful sprites and digitised speech. It is still a lot of fun to play today, doing the special moves and generally leaping about the ring like an idiot. It's such a shame it never got any kind of home console release or remaster at all, because it remains my favorite wrestling game. I heard about a spiritual successor of sorts in the works, and whilst it looks the part it features none of the golden age WWF stars that made this game so much fun in the first place.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

#7 - Azure Striker Gunvolt

I wasn't expecting to play this game, but I up and decided to upgrade to the Switch version and... I'm kinda glad I did? The improved resolution and bigger screen makes the game a lot more fun to play. Unlike the Mega Man Zero series, I found Gunvolt to be a pretty fair difficulty... Up until the final boss. I couldn't beat it, and I don't have any great desire to do so. It has one of those "if you don't kill me fast enough I OHKO you" mechanics that I just cannot stomach. So, for all intents and purposes, I've "completed" the game as far as I want to. And I did have a good time! When I initially played it at launch in 2014 for the 3DS, my feelings were something like, "It's not Mega Man enough." But coming back in 2020 and giving it another go, I'm kinda glad it's *not* Mega Man. It has a lot of interesting - if poorly explained - mechanics that let it stand its own.

Definitely recommend this one to run 'n' gun platformer fans, I honestly enjoyed this one far more than any of the Mega Man Zero games, and those seem to have greater acclaim. Also worth noting - the "Striker Pack" releases on both 3DS and Switch have a redone script. I can't recall exactly what I hated about the dialogue in the original, but I definitely hated that dialogue. Here? It's... Still not great, but not offensive either. I seem to recall the original using "dank meme" type humour or something.

Anyway. Check out Gunvolt, I def recommend it.

&Iso2020
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Jon Cheetham wrote: April 19th, 2020, 4:36 am 18th Apr - Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen

Finished up my hard mode New Game Plus. I'm tempted to go for platinum on this game. I certainly feel like going through the main quest again straightaway.
I did it! Three more runs total, one to do the other side quests I had missed, another quick one because I didn't manage to trigger one particular side quest, and finally the speedrun. Loved every minute.
13th Jan - Dishonored 2
19th Jan - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
23rd Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
4th Feb - Wolfenstein: The New Order
18th Feb - Titanfall 2
28th Feb - What Remains of Edith Finch
2nd Mar - Gone Home
2nd Mar - Florence
21st Mar - Hitman (2016)
21st Mar - Thief 2
22nd Mar - BioShock Remastered
25th Mar - Dishonored
3rd Apr - Resident Evil 2 Remake
4th Apr - Hitman 2
18th Apr - Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
25th Apr - Monument Valley
Played this and the add-on, Forgotten Shores. I got this because of Florence - it's the same director - and for someone who literally never buys mobile games, this was a wonderful and really memorable experience. I have been playing it on and off when I get a few minutes and it never failed to provide a moment of genuine enjoyment when I cracked the solution to a puzzle or the next beautiful piece of Escher-style architecture was revealed.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

I've 'completed' Animal Crossing now, by virtue of seeing the credits roll. I've enjoyed it as a kind of lockdown pastime but I'm not enormously enamoured with it beyond enjoying a bit of chill out and taking my mind off sitting on the exercise bike. As I said with tongue in cheek before it was released, it's basically a clicker with a Sylvanian Families skin. It's a very pleasant experience, though, and the little residents and music and writing are really heartwarming. I might sign off there and just dip in when I fancy it now. I'm not one for creativity or 'projects' in games, to be honest, maybe because of my day job, so my island is still very much as I initially found it with a few more fruit trees, flowers and bridges. A lovely game though and I've certainly had my money's worth.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Max X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
APR - Yoku's Island Express (100%) (Switch)
APR - WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade on PS Vita)
APR - Holedown (Android)

Quite a fun one of those 'launch balls at blocks with numbers on which count down every time they're hit until they disappear' games. Looks nice, cool upgrade progression system and a definitive end game.

It's decent.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

The Gardens Between (Switch)

It was a bit like Untitled Goose Game for me in that I had the game’s number gameplay wise fairly early on, wasn’t really into it and it became a chore the further I got through it. Both short games that felt a lot longer than they were. I just wanted it done. Pretty though. Then the ending made me feel bad for not enjoying it and gave me some feels.

Still glad to have played it, it’s been one I’ve fancied for a while and it was only £6 in the sale.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I was pretty excited to play The Gardens Between after Dave went on about it on TCGS but I got it on PS4 and just found it all a bit tedious. Never finished it. With this and the top down forest based exploring game, which I can't remember the name of for the life of me now (EDIT: Future Unfolding!), I'm not sure I can take his recommendations any more!
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Spoiler: show
Jan - Blasphemous
Jan - A Short Hike
Jan - Dear Esther
Jan - Luigi's Mansion 3
Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
Jan - Gorogoa
Feb - Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
Feb - Samurai Showdown (2019)
Feb - SAR: Search and Rescue
Mar - Dragon Age: Origins*
Mar - Double Dragon IV
Mar - FRAMED
Mar - Binary Domain*
Mar - 198X
Mar - Missed messages.
Mar - Final Fantasy Adventure
Apr - Kingdom Hearts Final Mix

*replayed
Apr - The King of Fighters XIII
Apr - The King of Fighters XIV
Apr - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Apr - World of Horror
Apr - Streets of Rage 4
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Far Cry New Dawn - XB1X.
(Jan) Darksiders 3 - XB1X.
(Feb) Borderlands 3 - XB1X.
(Mar) Remnant: From the Ashes - XB1X.
(Mar) Farming Simulator 17 - XB1X.
(Mar) Tracks-The Train Set Game - XB1X.
(Apr) Vanquish Remastered - XB1X.
(Apr) Deliver Us The Moon - XB1X.
Hunter30

Post by Hunter30 »

April - Fallout 1 (PC)

April - Telltale's Game of Thrones (PC)
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

#8 - Battle Circuit (Capcom Beat 'Em Up Collection)

This is a beat 'em up. It's fine. It has a cool progression system where you buy upgrades. Mechanically, it's just kinda fine. Like most beat 'em ups, I found myself kinda getting bored of the button mashing after a while.

But this one's got an absolutely wild art style. All the characters, player character and enemy, look completely out-there, and are really unique and creative designs that I'm shocked Capcom hasn't brought back or cameo'd - at least to my knowledge. Alien Green in particular - a plant dude with a lizard fella on his back that somewhat resembles Shuma-Gorath from MvC2 - really stands out as a fantastic design to.

But yeah. It's fine. I beat it, I'm glad I saw it, but I'm unlikely to go back. But consider me an Alien Green fanboy from this day forward.

&Iso2020
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Battle circuit is the one with the street fighter style special moves isn’t it? Fireball motions and suchlike?
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

Flabyo wrote: May 1st, 2020, 10:23 am Battle circuit is the one with the street fighter style special moves isn’t it? Fireball motions and suchlike?
It has a handful of them, yeah. It's a neat experiment, but I feel like it didn't have quite the budget or time in the cooker to be something truly special. Good game, just not what it could be, I feel.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
02/04 - Lucah: Born of a Dream (NG+, Bad Ending)
14/04 - Yakuza 4 Remastered
17/04 - Fable Anniversary
21/04 - Transistor
01/05 - The Last Guardian

Had this game on the mind lately (mostly thanks to Jacob Geller) so I decided I would do another playthrough of it. It's still just as magical, frustrating, beautifully touching, and infuriating as ever. It tests your patience to the absolute limit, but still delivers something special that makes it all worth it.

My main problems with it are still the same as they always were. It controls absolutely terribly, the camera is god awful, and at times it is woefully bad at communicating what it wants you to do. I think the obtrusive tutorial boxes that come up are meant to be there so mitigate that issue, but they rarely ever help. All they do is ruin the minimalist visual design of the game, which is disappointing. At least they do ease up somewhat as you get later through the game, but they never go away completely. As for the controls, I really do think they are worse than previous Ueda games. All of them have this loose, floppy feel to them, lacking precision, but there was a certain logic to how they worked in Ico and SotC that meant they were totally sufficient to do their job. So they got across the feeling of powerlessness they were trying to convey, but without actually getting in the way of what you were trying to do with them too much. TLG fails at this in a way that makes it feel like you're hardly in control at all, and that a lot of the fumbling and failure that happens is not your fault and there was nothing you could do about it.

My theory for why is how this game uses a different logic to the older games, in a way that just doesn't work. In Ico and SotC a lot of your commands were treated very manually. If you asked your character to do something, they would just do it. In the case of SotC, those controls were often quite complicated, but that allowed a sense of clarity to what you're trying to input. But in TLG, a lot of those controls are simplified, and the game tries to work out what you want from context. So you can't really directly issue commands, and it often gets confused about what you are intending with inputs. It's also pretty ambiguous on the other end, not knowing exactly what input you need to do to get the game to interpret what you want. Then also I think there might be a layer of environmental complexity causing problems too. Environments in this game have way more detailed collision meshes compared to Ico/SotC, so there's a lot more for the IK system to get caught up on, and it leads to a feeling that you never know quite how your character will react when you push the stick. Not to mention how Trico is always moving around all the time, so trying to climb over a constantly changing collision mesh is quite the headache. It's like the wrist of the last boss in SotC, but for the whole game, where you can't tell the game to grip or let go on command.

But anyway, despite all that, there's still a lot about this game I love that nothing else out there can match. Despite the similarity in premise this game has to Ico, I'd even say that TLG has that beat too. The way this game cultivates a relationship over time is brilliant. Trico is the star of the show and bonding with him is a joy, which takes a long time to build, and absolutely pays off by the end. The way he behaves is so lifelike that it's uncanny. The little movements and quirks, how he eyes up a situation before deciding what to do that convey a sense of an inner consciousness, how he will go off sometimes and investigate something he's curious about, how he reacts to being petted or nudged, or even just the adorable way he looks at you with those big sad eyes. I love that weird huge dog/cat/dodo/griffin thing. And you get a genuine sense that he cares about the boy too in the scenes where things look grim and Trico is the one that has to help him. No other game comes close to creating the vivid illusion of an independent thinking, feeling creature like this game does. And that ending still hits so hard as well. So bittersweet, but moving and emotionally resonant. For all the times the game drove me up the wall, that ending still makes it all worth it.

So after playing it a second time, I think I probably like it more than previously, although the bits that grate are still as bad as ever. Thankfully this time around I was able to get past some of the worst puzzles with much more ease, as I could remember the solutions thanks to them sticking in my mind for bad they were... This is a game that requires an absolute mountain of patience. Partly for very good reasons, partly very bad reasons. But in the end it's all worth it, and I really enjoyed going through that experience with Trico again.

(Also this is my 2000th post!!! Hooray! Fitting it was used to talk about such a special game.)
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

13th Jan - Dishonored 2
19th Jan - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
23rd Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
4th Feb - Wolfenstein: The New Order
18th Feb - Titanfall 2
28th Feb - What Remains of Edith Finch
2nd Mar - Gone Home
2nd Mar - Florence
21st Mar - Hitman (2016)
21st Mar - Thief 2
22nd Mar - BioShock Remastered
25th Mar - Dishonored
3rd Apr - Resident Evil 2 Remake
4th Apr - Hitman 2
18th Apr - Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
25th Apr - Monument Valley
1st May - Uncharted 4

I hadn't played a Naughty Dog-developed game since the original Crash Team Racing 20 years ago, but now thanks to recent freebies on the PS4 I suddenly own almost everything they've done in the last fifteen years.

I also have never tried these sort of cinematic action games ND are known for before, but I was in the pocket for a swashbuckling adventure, and this did not disappoint. At first it felt like being in one long tutorial with the very guided gameplay, but by the time I got to the Italy level the story and characters well and truly had their hooks in me. Nathan, Sam, Elena and Sully are all really well written and performed, and the blend of Moby Dick and Pirates of the Caribbean the story was going for went down like an ice-cold cider on a summer evening.

I also warmed to the gameplay - the gunfights are good fun, largely thanks to the exceptional sound design, and the rope swinging is a laugh too. The visuals are obviously sublime - I'm a sucker for an interesting interior in a game and Libertalia, Amalfi (it looks like?) and New Devon had some beauties.

I also enjoyed the fact that the plot (without being too spoilery) features Malaysia and Devon as locations that are either of historical import or set the narrative in motion, since I currently live in Kuala Lumpur while much of my family lives in Devon. When I was at university in Exeter we used to drink at the Ship Inn, which local belief has it was Sir Francis Drake's watering hole at one point.

Ended up snapping up The Lost Legacy since it is on sale, and might go back to the PS3 trilogy to see what they were like too - 2 is certainly a favourite for a lot of people from what I've heard.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

3 January: Untitled Goose Game (Xbox One)
13 January: Punch-Out! (NES on Switch)
16 January: Spyro the Dragon (PS4)
19 January: Mega Man X (SNES Classic Mini)
26 January: The Ninja Saviors (Switch)
31 January: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (SNES on Switch)
3 February: Bulletstorm (PS4)
5 February: Koral (Switch)
7 February: Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES on Switch)
9 February: Super Mario Bros. (NES on Switch)
10 February: Super Cycle (C64 Mini)
16 February: Bioshock (PS4)
18 February: Castlevania - Circle of the Moon (Game Boy Advance)
19 February: Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night (Xbox One)
25 February: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Game Boy Advance)
27 February: Ninja Gaiden Shadow (Game Boy)
29 February: Ghostbusters (C64 Mini)
4 March: Destruction Derby 2 (PlayStation Classic)
14 March: Doom 3 (Switch)
18 March: Anodyne (Switch)
30 March: Agent X (ZX Spectrum)
31 March: Agent X II (ZX Spectrum)
4 April: Death Star Interceptor (ZX Spectrum)
11 April: Doom 64 (Switch)
13 April: Doom (Switch)
26 April: Doom II (Switch)
27 April: Kid Dracula (Game Boy)
30 April: Saboteur 2 - Avenging Angel (Switch)

Caught up on a load more classic Dooms on Switch last month. As much as I enjoyed them, I’m a bit done with Doom for now! Also caught up with Death Star Interceptor, an even older game I first came across in 1985! I’ve given that a write up on my blog if anyone’s interested: https://retroarcadia.blog/2020/04/27/a ... terceptor/

I’d also forgotten I was right near the end of Game Boy Kid Dracula a few months ago when I abandoned it for some reason, so got that done too. Same for Saboteur 2 on Switch. Started at Christmas, got sidetracked (by Ninja Saviors) and forgot I had it, but will never forget that map from playing it on the Spectrum years ago!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 31-Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
April 13: Yakuza Kiwami
April 30: Locoroco 2
I played the first one a few years ago on the PSP and I found it alright. This is strange as I am actually someone who has a lot of time for cutesy games such as Kirby, Klonoa and the like. So I decided to give this series another chance as I do love its aesthetic. And I have changed my mind with this game. Unfortunately it is for the worst. Whereas I thought the first one was so-so, I really dislike this sequel.

It is those goddamn controls. They are simple, sure, but they are also dogshit, to put it bluntly. I have had multiple times where I would try and roll my character and even with the stage at a crazy angle, my little blob would stay completely still. They would only move if I jumped. Why?! What is the point of that, it is really unintuitive! Even better was when I needed to make a particular jump to get to a certain spot that is far too precise for this game and when I would inevitably miss would have no choice but to restart the level if I was to ever have a chance. Or if you missed something that was literally a screen back and there is a bump that is just slightly higher than your jump can reach. Battling enemies was inconsistent as hell as attacking from below mostly worked but sometimes my blob kept being eaten if they attacked that way so they would jump on top of them to defeat them instead. However, nine times out of ten that is guaranteed to end in you getting yourself hit.

But that is not the worst thing, the worst is that way too often to count, my character would just start moving on its own and I would literally have to fight the controls to get them to do what I want. I missed some pickups due to my blob deciding to hop to the right when I needed him to get to the left and he fell down a pit and I could not reach the area again. Who thought this was a good idea?!

So much of this game seems to have immense contempt for the player and pulling shit like your character fighting against your control inputs just feels like the developer sticking their middle finger right in your face. I wanted to like this so bad but I was miserable playing it for the vast majority of the playthrough. It is rare when a game makes me as mad as this one does but when it does, it needs to be a really special kind of bad. Hated it.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Jon Cheetham wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 10:07 amEnded up snapping up The Lost Legacy since it is on sale, and might go back to the PS3 trilogy to see what they were like too - 2 is certainly a favourite for a lot of people from what I've heard.
Excellent! I just love the series. It is 100% worth playing 1-3, the first game is one of my favorites despite most people ranking it the lowest of the series. Its the story that carries it though, although I have no issue with the gameplay either. Lost Legacy is arguably the tightest and most fun of the whole lot of them, too.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Alex79uk wrote: May 3rd, 2020, 8:34 pm
Jon Cheetham wrote: May 2nd, 2020, 10:07 amEnded up snapping up The Lost Legacy since it is on sale, and might go back to the PS3 trilogy to see what they were like too - 2 is certainly a favourite for a lot of people from what I've heard.
Excellent! I just love the series. It is 100% worth playing 1-3, the first game is one of my favorites despite most people ranking it the lowest of the series. Its the story that carries it though, although I have no issue with the gameplay either. Lost Legacy is arguably the tightest and most fun of the whole lot of them, too.
The characters and story really were great and I'd love to spend more time with Nathan and Elena and Sully, so that original trilogy will be a treat some time in the future!
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

#9 - Mega Man IV (Gameboy)

Can I just start by saying that this is probably the best of the 8-bit Mega Man games? I absolutely LOVED this one.

That's obviously going to take some justification. Firstly, and I had no idea until I finished the first 4 robot masters... This isn't a port of Mega Man 4 on the NES. Like, at all. It uses 4 of the bosses from that game, and their stages, but then you do a Wily stage. And when you finish that one, you fight 4 robot masters from *Mega Man 5*. Not only that, but there's no trace of Dr. Cossack in this one: because it's actually an original storyline.

Now, this revelation blew my mind a little bit, because I'm thought the Mega Man GB games were just scaled-back ports... And there's some degree of truth to that. MM I through III seem to be trying to reproduce their namesake on the NES. But IV is a different beast - and V gets even crazier, and I'm excited to try that one out.

But what's great about this one versus the NES titles? Chiefly, at least for me personally... I don't like how NES games look or sound. MM4-6 are very good looking games by NES standards, but I think the monochrome nature of the Gameboy leaves a little more to imagination. And the NES sound capabilities... Let's just say I respect the composition, but hate the instrumentation. The single-channel GB audio isn't nearly as obnoxious or abrasive to my earholes as the NES originals, and I think that's largely down to composition.

It terms of level design... MMIV is simplified compared to the NES games. But again, I think this actually works to its benefit. I felt like the levels were easier to learn and easier to navigate, and I didn't feel like many of the deaths were cheap.

Oh, and it has some incredible cutscenes for the standard of the Gameboy.

I dunno what else to say. I loved this game. Really, really enjoyed my time with it, and I can't wait to play the next one.

&Iso2020