Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
DomsBeard

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by DomsBeard »

A Normal Lost Phone

Another one from the itch bundle and was an interesting little puzzle narrative based around photo and number solving of clues. Annoyingly I had to look up a code as dates are entered in the (in my opinion) crackers American way of Month/Day! :lol:
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Spoiler: show
Jan 1 - Wonder Boy in Monster World (Sega Mega Drive Mini)
Jan 5 – FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 21 – God of War (PS4)
Feb 6 – Into The Breach (Switch) (Normal)
Feb 10 – Wargroove: Double Trouble (Switch)
Feb 15 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
Feb 16 - Ristar (Switch)
Apr 4 - Florence (Android)
Apr 8- Resident Evil 2 (2019) (PS4) (Leon - Standard)
Apr 13 - Spider-Man: Turf Wars DLC (PS4)
Apr 14 - Spider-Man: Silver Lining DLC (PS4)
May 12 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
May 17- The Gardens Between (Switch)
May 28 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
Jun 14 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4)
Jun 15 - WarioWare Gold (3DS)
Jun 16 - A Short Hike (PC)

This is the first game I've played from that itch.io bundle.

I went into this thinking it would be quite a linear, story heavy affair. I was pleasantly surprised to play an open game, that's far more about exploring the island than about story. The island is a lovely, calm and relaxing location and is large enough that exploring it feels like a small adventure. I looped around the coast twice at the start just because I enjoyed it. Movement, particularly with the glide, is quite fun.

The soundtrack is lovely and it does a nice job of fading in and out depending on location.

It may be slight but this game is really sweet and I'm very happy to have played it.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

13th Jan - Dishonored 2
19th Jan - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
23rd Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
4th Feb - Wolfenstein: The New Order
18th Feb - Titanfall 2
28th Feb - What Remains of Edith Finch
2nd Mar - Gone Home
2nd Mar - Florence
21st Mar - Hitman (2016)
21st Mar - Thief 2
22nd Mar - BioShock Remastered
25th Mar - Dishonored
3rd Apr - Resident Evil 2 Remake
4th Apr - Hitman 2
18th Apr - Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
25th Apr - Monument Valley
1st May - Uncharted 4
6th May - The Last of Us
8th May - The Last of Us: Left Behind
9th May - Far Cry Primal
21st May - Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches
24th May - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
31st May - The Banner Saga 1
8th June - The Banner Saga 2
17th June - God of War (2018)

Talk about a rip-roaring adventure! Loved it to bits. Basically just smashed through the main quest as I wanted to see the end of the story before TLOU2 hits. I did do one side quest as it seemed enticing (Gullveig's Bones) and might go back and do the rest of the extras in a few weeks.
Also, the climactic encounter with Baldur is a brilliant final boss fight imo, he's always fun to fight anyway but I liked how you had to switch weapons back and forth. It was simple in concept but it felt very satisfying to unload all my moves and combos.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

ColinAlonso wrote: June 17th, 2020, 1:30 pm A Short Hike
Nice, isn't it. It's the only PC game I've played in the last ten years I'd say! I got it via Epic Games Store giveaway and played an hour or so of it to distract myself from work a couple of weeks ago. Shame it's PC only as I know I won't go back to it, playing on laptop with a keyboard, but it was a really nice game. I'd definitely buy it if it came out on Switch for a few quid.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Doom Eternal

I can't articulate my thoughts on this one just yet. The idea of turning Very Doom up by 1000% was probably not the best decision in the end but I can see, on paper, how the idea of turning the 2016 game into Turbo Doom was tempting enough to pull it off.

id software have crafted a beast, an unstoppable charging bull and it requires every ounce of energy from the player. Everything, and I mean everything, is quicker, faster, harder and more hectic. It's ridiculous.

I'd like to see what Quake would look like given that I think they've reached their peak with the series. Where else can you go when you've seemingly (or literally) done it all with Doom Eternal.

I am knackered.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Alex79uk wrote: June 17th, 2020, 7:44 pmShame it's PC only as I know I won't go back to it, playing on laptop with a keyboard, but it was a really nice game.
It can be played with a controller though. The game picked up mine immediately and even gave me the PlayStation buttons on screen.

I've still got a happy buzz from it a day later. :)
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

dezm0nd wrote: June 17th, 2020, 8:30 pm Doom Eternal

I can't articulate my thoughts on this one just yet. The idea of turning Very Doom up by 1000% was probably not the best decision in the end but I can see, on paper, how the idea of turning the 2016 game into Turbo Doom was tempting enough to pull it off.

id software have crafted a beast, an unstoppable charging bull and it requires every ounce of energy from the player. Everything, and I mean everything, is quicker, faster, harder and more hectic. It's ridiculous.

I'd like to see what Quake would look like given that I think they've reached their peak with the series. Where else can you go when you've seemingly (or literally) done it all with Doom Eternal.

I am knackered.
I think I'll be starting this after I've finished RDR2, which should be tonight as I only have 2 missions left. I wanted to ask what difficulty you and others who've played it played it on, as I have only heard how hard it is even on normal difficulty, so i don't know whether to go easy if it's less frustrating.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I played on Hard and found it too hard. Knocked it down to Normal and then as it came to the end I used the Sentinal Armour which makes the game easier.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I played Eternal on Normal as well, and I did use the Sentinel Armour, but only at one point against a late-game boss that honestly I would say was pretty badly designed anyway. The game was definitely tough, but not overly punishing at all, except for that one encounter. I liked the level of challenge for the most part. It definitely asks you to always be on the ball and punishes you quickly if you mess up, but it's very reasonable and doesn't feel like too much or it's being cheap. This is coming from playing on PS4, so using a controller, and from someone who is probably just okay at shooters. I think what platform/controls you use make a big difference though. Even though I think the game plays great on a controller (one of the best examples of such in fact) there's still obviously some limitations and imprecision. Those who are used to playing shooters on PC/M&K will probably find Hard a better sweet spot that creates a similar feeling of challenge.

But the game does have a lot of options to allow you to make it easier on yourself and customise your experience to your liking, once you get in to the game a bit anyway. You can always drop it down to Easy whenever you want, as there's no barrier or punishment for changing your difficulty at any time. If you die enough times at a single part the game will ask if you want to turn on the Sentinel Armour for the rest of the level, which massively reduces incoming damage to the point where you might as well be invincible, and it doesn't punish you for using it in any way. You can unlock cheats by finding them as secrets through the game as well, so you can use that to get infinite ammo, full invincibility, constant power-up status, all also with zero punishment. The game can be a complete cake-walk if you want it to be, all without any downside.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I'll be playing on Xbox, I think I'll start on Normal then and see how it goes.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: June 16th, 2020, 11:42 pm A Normal Lost Phone

Another one from the itch bundle and was an interesting little puzzle narrative based around photo and number solving of clues. Annoyingly I had to look up a code as dates are entered in the (in my opinion) crackers American way of Month/Day! :lol:
Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story

Played through this one too, I would say the story is better than above but the puzzles are way harder. Again a good narrative number puzzler. I had already bought this on Switch however you cannot play it with the pro controller so ended up playing it on Mac as part of the itch bundle.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Red Dead Redemption 2

I originally played this on release on PS4 but eventually stopped playing it around the end of chapter 2 after growing too frustrated with the controls and systems which I didn't find fun and took it into life sim territory. But after being encouraged by many to give it another go, I decided to when it hit Game Pass.

I'm really glad I went back to it as after getting used to the controls and taking more of a role playing approach to Arthur Morgan's character, I began to enjoy the game a lot more. The story is one of my favourites in gaming and the cast of characters are superb, especially Arthur and Sadie Adler who will live me with for a long time. The game is absolutely stunning to look at too on Xbox One X, I can't think of a more beautiful game.

However, I did have a few problems which make it my least favourite Rockstar game. The main one being that I felt the game was overly long, there were a few missions that I didn't really see the point of as they didn't really add anything to the story and weren't particularly fun either, at times it seemed self indulgent. This was especially the case with the epilogue which soured my overall experience somewhat. I understand that many people think it's great, but I thought it could have been cut in half, if not less and still achieved the same effect.

Overall though, a superb game I'm glad I went back to.
OneCreditBen

Post by OneCreditBen »

Salamander - Arcade - No Death
Clear begins 29:37

This was something else, and setting myself the challenge of trying to do it on a livestream added so much to the clear, especially the last level. What a rush, I honestly can't tell you how good it felt to get that clear done. Incredible.

It's probably just the start of me playing this game now, I can see me potentially lining up different clears and videos on various versions, maybe even trying to find a coin op version at an arcade place, when it's safe once again, to try and do it live.

Insane few days.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Last week Ellis, my middle son, was moaning to play on my Switch but I already was, so I gave him my Vita to play on. He loved Mario Odyssey so I thought I'd show him Tearaway. He seemed to enjoy it, and every now and then over the last week he's asked for my Vita and sat and played it for an hour or so. This morning he just handed it to me and said 'Dad, have I finished?' I told him he hadn't (without looking) and he said 'but it says the end'. So I checked and yeah, he'd completed it!
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

That’s cool, such an innovative and great game. Makes the best use of the Vitas features along with the game Severed
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Blasphemous
Jan - A Short Hike
Jan - Dear Esther
Jan - Luigi's Mansion 3
Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
Jan - Gorogoa
Feb - Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
Feb - Samurai Shodown (2019)
Feb - SAR: Search and Rescue
Mar - Dragon Age: Origins*
Mar - Double Dragon IV
Mar - FRAMED
Mar - Binary Domain*
Mar - 198X
Mar - Missed messages.
Mar - Final Fantasy Adventure
Apr - Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
Apr - The King of Fighters XIII
Apr - The King of Fighters XIV
Apr - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Apr - World of Horror
Apr - Streets of Rage 4
May - Death Stranding
May - The Dig
May - Secret of Mana (1993)
Jun - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Jun - Battle Circuit
Jun - Doom (1993)*
Jun - Doom II*

*replayed
Jun - The Last of Us Remastered*
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 1 - Wonder Boy in Monster World (Sega Mega Drive Mini)
Jan 5 – FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 21 – God of War (PS4)
Feb 6 – Into The Breach (Switch) (Normal)
Feb 10 – Wargroove: Double Trouble (Switch)
Feb 15 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
Feb 16 - Ristar (Switch)
Apr 4 - Florence (Android)
Apr 8- Resident Evil 2 (2019) (PS4) (Leon - Standard)
Apr 13 - Spider-Man: Turf Wars DLC (PS4)
Apr 14 - Spider-Man: Silver Lining DLC (PS4)
May 12 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
May 17- The Gardens Between (Switch)
May 28 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
Jun 14 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4)
Jun 15 - WarioWare Gold (3DS)
Jun 16 - A Short Hike (PC)
Jun 17 - Catlateral Damage (PC)
A first-person (well, cat) game where you make a mess. The cat can jump and swipe with the triggers. There are a number of cats to unlock and choose from.

The campaign basically consists of 4 procedurally generated levels to try and get as high a score as possible. The aim is to knock a set amount of items to the floor (specifically the floor, knocking onto lower tables etc does not count). Temporary power-ups, mid-level missions (kill the red dots :D ), permanent ability increases and unlockable extra levels for the run add a little bit more to it. I enjoyed the joke but after the 40 minutes or so to complete one run (6 levels in this case), I was done.

Jun 20 - Horizon: Zero Dawn - The Frozen Wilds (PS4)
I finished the main game ages ago but only played this now. It's a fine side story for Horizon and has only whetted my appetite for Forbidden West.

Jun 20 - Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC - PC emulation)
Inspired by Ben's SNK v Capcom: Card Fighters Clash stream but not wanting to play the same thing I'd just watched, I played this. Its quite fun.
NoMoreSpearows

Post by NoMoreSpearows »

Holy cannoli, I've actually completed Hyrule Warriors: Definitive Edition. I should say that "completed" here means clearing out the entirety of Legend and Adventure Mode, which means getting all 260 Gold Skulltulas and having everyone leveled up to at least Level 110. I could probably grind material to fill out the remaining badge slots or pull my hair out playing Challenge Mode, but as far as I'm concerned I've finally gotten to the end of a neverending barrage of meat and potatoes, and can finally move on to something else.

Like, uh, One Piece Pirate Warriors 4. Crud.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Wow, how many hours did that take, NoMoreSpearows?
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: June 18th, 2020, 1:07 pm
DomsBeard wrote: June 16th, 2020, 11:42 pm A Normal Lost Phone

Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story

Played through this one too, I would say the story is better than above but the puzzles are way harder. Again a good narrative number puzzler. I had already bought this on Switch however you cannot play it with the pro controller so ended up playing it on Mac as part of the itch bundle.
Mortal Kombat Aftermath DLC Stadia

An absolute casserole of nonsense but very enjoyable. Think a 90's Saturday morning cartoon mixed with the violence of a 90's horror.

Slight slowdown in places on Stadia (which hasn't happened with the other two fighters Samurai Shodown or Power Rangers).

Well worth picking up if you enjoyed MK11. I would say £32.99 is a bit high for it as an add on if you have the original game, using the Stadia offer I paid £39.99 for the base game and all this which is a sizeable package.

Fujin and Sindel are great additions to the roster. The other two fighters added overall are a mixed bag, Robocop is far too stiff (which I mentioned before makes sense) and Sheeva is alright but not a stand out.

Looking forward to trying the towers with all the DLC characters I have not played as (Terminator, Spawn) and unlocking all the stuff in the Krypt. Plenty left to see and do.

Lot of talk about TLOU2's violence at the moment, this has some interesting shall we say scenes and fatalities as usual.

Finally a nod to Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung who is a moustache twirling delight throughout stealing most scenes he is in.