Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
shadowless_kick

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by shadowless_kick »

I beat Celeste today, and I gotta say it lived up to its massive reputation. I really enjoyed the incredible craft that went into every screen — definitely a game where you can feel the love/passion of the people behind it.

I'm ready for something else now, but I'll definitely return for all the strawberries, blue hearts and b-sides I didn't grab the first time. as I've mentioned before, this is the first game that ever gave me the desire to watch a speedrun; this must be catnip for that community.

Scrustle wrote: August 7th, 2020, 4:57 pm
Alex79uk wrote: August 7th, 2020, 3:20 pm AUG - Hyper Light Drifter (Switch)

Also I've been considering revisiting it lately as I've been getting a bit impatient waiting for a physical release on Switch. They've been "working on it" for like two years now. And with Solar Ash starting to show itself, I'm itching to jump back in to that world.
my thoughts exactly. I check for news of the physical announcement every morning.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

shadowless_kick wrote: August 9th, 2020, 12:59 pm I beat Celeste today, and I gotta say it lived up to its massive reputation. I really enjoyed the incredible craft that went into every screen — definitely a game where you can feel the love/passion of the people behind it.
It's brilliant, isn't it! I'm only on the hotel stage (3?) but it's one of the best things I've played all year. I bounced off it initially, couldn't get the hang on the controls, but once that clicked its just incredible. I can't stop playing. I've only found one cassette so far (is that how to unlock the B sides), and not got all the strawberries (but most so far).
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Flabyo wrote: July 11th, 2020, 3:26 pm Jan 10th - Spider-Man (PS4)
Jan 26th - Children of Morta (XBO)
Feb 10th - Indivisible (XBO)
April 6th - Monument Valley 2 (iOS)
April 18th - Yakuza 0 (XBO)
May 2nd - Streets of Rage 4 (XBO)
May 29th - Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath (PS4)
June 1st - Bastion (XBO)
June 28th - Observation (XBO)
July 11th - The Messenger (XBO)
August 9th - Ghost of Tsushima

One of the most visually striking games of the generation, it’s exceptionally beautiful.

As an open world game I think it’s a little below Horizon and AC Odyssey for me, the story isn’t quite as good as the former and the variety isn’t up to the latter.

But it’s still one of the best things I’ve played this year.

Also: my first ever Platinum on PlayStation. You can tell most of my gaming is in the Microsoft ecosystem.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Alex79uk wrote: August 9th, 2020, 1:42 pm
shadowless_kick wrote: August 9th, 2020, 12:59 pm I beat Celeste today, and I gotta say it lived up to its massive reputation. I really enjoyed the incredible craft that went into every screen — definitely a game where you can feel the love/passion of the people behind it.
It's brilliant, isn't it! I'm only on the hotel stage (3?) but it's one of the best things I've played all year. I bounced off it initially, couldn't get the hang on the controls, but once that clicked its just incredible. I can't stop playing. I've only found one cassette so far (is that how to unlock the B sides), and not got all the strawberries (but most so far).
I was blown away my Celeste, I think it's my all time favourite 2D platformer. It's definition of pixel perfect. I was quite proud of myself for completing it as it's really hard, so I thought I would leave it at that rather than going for all the strawberries and B-Sides in case it soured my thoughts on the game. I didn't use them but I thought the assist mode was a great thing for the devs to include.

The instant restarts in games like this and Hotline Miami I find are vital to the experience to avoid frustration with the difficulty. 90% of the time in Celeste the different screens/levels are nice and short which also helps remove any frustration. My only complaint with the game was that some of the bosses went on too long and if you die you have to start from the beginning, that was the only time I got frustrated with the game.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

4-8 Magic Sword (ARC)

Credit fed through this Capcom fantasy feast of mayhem together with my boy, by way of Final Fight: Double Impact on Xbox 360, in preparation of the new Video Wizards podcast. Tons of fun!

6-8 Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (ARC)

See above, this one I played on the o.g. Xbox, together with a good friend and we had a surprisingly good time.

9-8 Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)

Cleared the Story Mode all by my lonesome, but this only feels like just the beginning. Unlocked stage select and arcade mode and coupled with the multiplayer experience and cool unlockables to go for, I can see myself coming back to it again and again!
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Spoiler: show
13th Jan - Dishonored 2
19th Jan - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
23rd Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
4th Feb - Wolfenstein: The New Order
18th Feb - Titanfall 2
28th Feb - What Remains of Edith Finch
2nd Mar - Gone Home
2nd Mar - Florence
21st Mar - Hitman (2016)
21st Mar - Thief 2
22nd Mar - BioShock Remastered
25th Mar - Dishonored
3rd Apr - Resident Evil 2 (2019)
4th Apr - Hitman 2
18th Apr - Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
25th Apr - Monument Valley
1st May - Uncharted 4
6th May - The Last of Us
8th May - The Last of Us: Left Behind
9th May - Far Cry Primal
21st May - Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches
24th May - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
31st May - The Banner Saga 1
8th June - The Banner Saga 2
17th June - God of War (2018)
27th June - The Last of Us Part II
12th July - Control
13th July - DUSK
22nd July - Resident Evil 4
7th August - Deus Ex
7th August - A Short Hike
8th August - Resident Evil (2002)
9th August - The Banner Saga 3

Finally wrapped up the story on Sunday - it turned out I only had about 45-60 minutes of this game left at the point I had backburnered it when The Last of Us Part II came out. I talked my way into what I think was one of the best endings, too. I like the fact that you can actually lose some battles and the game just keeps going with that as part of the set-up for the next part of the story, and the crucial monents often come within the conversations you're having.

I really enjoyed these games and the narrative gave me a lot to chew on, not to mention the "choices matter" nature of the mechanics. A lot of these characters have compelling arcs, and I got pretty invested. At one point I literally drew in a sharp intake of breath thinking one of my faves was about to die because of a choice I felt I had to make, but they survived (and made it to the end) because of something else I had decided hours ago.

The battles are more developed than ever in part 3, and there's some pretty weird Heroes (units) you can add to your party. There's one that can insta-kill all enemies under a certain HP threshold, but the spell takes time to cast, so you have to make sure you whittle down as many people as possible in that time. It's very satisfying to win the entire battle in one fell swoop this way. There's another character who can basically survive after death as a wraith, and come back once they've collected enough energy. For people who really loved the battle system they also added an arena mode for this one.
Simonsloth

Post by Simonsloth »

Michiel K wrote: August 10th, 2020, 10:50 am 4-8 Magic Sword (ARC)

Credit fed through this Capcom fantasy feast of mayhem together with my boy, by way of Final Fight: Double Impact on Xbox 360, in preparation of the new Video Wizards podcast. Tons of fun!

6-8 Michael Jackson's Moonwalker (ARC)

See above, this one I played on the o.g. Xbox, together with a good friend and we had a surprisingly good time.

9-8 Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)

Cleared the Story Mode all by my lonesome, but this only feels like just the beginning. Unlocked stage select and arcade mode and coupled with the multiplayer experience and cool unlockables to go for, I can see myself coming back to it again and again!
Really enjoying the podcast by the way. You and Ben have great chemistry and I’m fond of the massive nostalgia trip when you’re talking about popular culture of the era. My wife is a fan now and it’s the only thing I’m allowed in the car when she there now!

I was thinking each show is so long that perhaps you could release them in parts? Would fill the gap between episodes. Just a thought.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Phoenix Wright - Spirit of Justice (3DS) - Turnabout Time Traveler DLC

Another superb case, full of fan service with returning characters but not overbearingly so.

This concludes my playthrough of new Ace Attorney material, hopefully it isn't too long before we see another game in the west. I absolutely love this franchise.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Simonsloth wrote: August 11th, 2020, 9:37 pm Really enjoying the podcast by the way. You and Ben have great chemistry and I’m fond of the massive nostalgia trip when you’re talking about popular culture of the era. My wife is a fan now and it’s the only thing I’m allowed in the car when she there now!

I was thinking each show is so long that perhaps you could release them in parts? Would fill the gap between episodes. Just a thought.
Thanks, Simon... that's a wonderful compliment. Makes my day!

Yeah, we thought about that as well. Thing is, it would disrupt the flow of the whole thing a bit, maybe? We find that a lot of listeners listen to it bit by bit anyway, over the course of the month leading up to the next one.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Man X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
APR - Yoku's Island Express (100%) (Switch)
APR - WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade on PS Vita)
APR - Holedown (Android)
MAY - South Park: The Stick Of Truth (Switch)
JUN - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
JUN - Golf Story (Switch)
JUL - Days Gone (PS4)
JUL - Bayonetta (Switch)
JUL - Watch Dogs 2 (PS4)
JUL - The Gardens Between (Android)
AUG - Hyper Light Drifter (Switch)
AUG - Celeste Classic (PICO-8 on Switch)
AUG - Thimbleweed Park (Android)

Enjoyed this, it really can stand proud alongside the classic Lucas adventures. Puzzles were mostly logical, although there were a couple of real stinkers, but I managed most the game without help, although did resort to the in game hint system 3 or 4 times towards the latter part of the game. Great overall though.
shadowless_kick

Post by shadowless_kick »

Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors

came back to this after a hiatus and beat normal mode with Kunoichi. Yaksha unlocked! I've barely touched the other two main characters yet, however, so I'll get to "her" in good time.

the final boss fight gave me serious flashbacks to Turtles In Time's first Shredder battle, which I always thought was clever, even back in the day. seems TMNT was released first, so I guess Taito/Natsume were taking notes, heh.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
02/04 - Lucah: Born of a Dream (NG+, Bad Ending)
14/04 - Yakuza 4 Remastered
17/04 - Fable Anniversary
21/04 - Transistor
01/05 - The Last Guardian
11/05 - Mafia III
15/05 - Mini Ninjas
17/05 - Burnout Paradise Remastered (Elite License)
20/05 - The Gardens Between
25/05 - The Wonderful 101 Remastered (Normal)
27/05 - El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
06/06 - Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
14/06 - OneShot
16/06 - OneShot (NG+/Solstice)
22/06 - The World Begins With You
27/06 - Titanfall 2
10/07 - Vane
16/07 - What Remains of Edith Finch
27/07 - Braid
28/07 - Shadow Warrior 2
07/08 - Night in the Woods
15/08 - Night in the Woods

So uh, I did play it again right away. This time I focused just on Gregg mostly, making sure to not miss any of his bits. Although there was a good chunk of new stuff, it perhaps wasn't quite as much as I was expecting. I suppose that's partially down to the content I missed on my first run being split up in to different areas that I still haven't seen, and that early on you can only hang out with Gregg anyway, so a lot of that part of the game still feels pretty similar. At first I was a bit concerned that going back through the game would lessen the impact of the story from it not being new anymore, but by the end with the more raw stuff, it's still pretty emotional. I do still want to see the rest of it, but I think now I actually will give it a break for the time being. But I really like this game a whole lot. I got this game from the same big itch.io charity bundle that I got OneShot from, and now it's given me two new favourite indies. I'm pretty interested to see what comes next from the people behind this one.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Flabyo wrote: August 9th, 2020, 5:25 pm
Flabyo wrote: July 11th, 2020, 3:26 pm Jan 10th - Spider-Man (PS4)
Jan 26th - Children of Morta (XBO)
Feb 10th - Indivisible (XBO)
April 6th - Monument Valley 2 (iOS)
April 18th - Yakuza 0 (XBO)
May 2nd - Streets of Rage 4 (XBO)
May 29th - Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath (PS4)
June 1st - Bastion (XBO)
June 28th - Observation (XBO)
July 11th - The Messenger (XBO)
August 9th - Ghost of Tsushima

One of the most visually striking games of the generation, it’s exceptionally beautiful.

As an open world game I think it’s a little below Horizon and AC Odyssey for me, the story isn’t quite as good as the former and the variety isn’t up to the latter.

But it’s still one of the best things I’ve played this year.

Also: my first ever Platinum on PlayStation. You can tell most of my gaming is in the Microsoft ecosystem.
Only heard great things about this game, it got a full score of 40/40 in famitsu, which is unheard of for western studios.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Games Beaten
15th August - PC - Telltale's The Walking Dead (excluding the 400 Days DLC)

I can count the amount of games to get any real emotional response out of me on one hand. I'll shed a tear sometimes or get fired up about a particular enemy that has been taunting me, but most of the time I leave a game having had a fun time and don't think much about it afterwards.

Not so with Telltale's The Walking Dead. There were so many characters in this that I hated, loved, pitied and whom had my opinion of them flip so many times, I was a mess at the end of episode 5. The relationships you build with these characters is unlike any other game I have ever played.
The two stand out characters for me were Lee and Clementine. What an amazing pair of well written characters.
Clementine having to either shoot or leave a zombie Lee at the end of episode 5, left me crying at my desk. Lee had become a surrogate father to her throughout the series and she was losing the last person who loved her.
This is also the perfect game to play in chunks or at the end of a long day, as it doesn't require much from the player in terms of input or puzzle solving skills.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Was this just the first season or the whole series?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

HaloFandango wrote: August 15th, 2020, 4:56 pm Games Beaten:

15th August - Telltale's The Walking Dead (excluding the 400 Days DLC).

This is also the perfect game to play in chunks or at the end of a long day, as it doesn't require much from the player in terms of input or puzzle solving skills.
Yeah, TWD was interesting because the first episode was very much aiming for a more traditional point and click adventure, with an inventory and puzzles etc (like most of Telltale's other work up to that point). They binned that off pretty quick though and the series was much better for it.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Blasphemous
Jan - A Short Hike
Jan - Dear Esther
Jan - Luigi's Mansion 3
Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
Jan - Gorogoa
Feb - Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
Feb - Samurai Shodown (2019)
Feb - SAR: Search and Rescue
Mar - Dragon Age: Origins*
Mar - Double Dragon IV
Mar - FRAMED
Mar - Binary Domain*
Mar - 198X
Mar - Missed messages.
Mar - Final Fantasy Adventure
Apr - Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
Apr - The King of Fighters XIII
Apr - The King of Fighters XIV
Apr - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Apr - World of Horror
Apr - Streets of Rage 4
May - Death Stranding
May - The Dig
May - Secret of Mana (1993)
Jun - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Jun - Battle Circuit
Jun - Doom (1993)*
Jun - Doom II*
Jun - The Last of Us Remastered*
Jun - The Outer Worlds
Jun - Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara*
Jul - The Last of Us Part 2
Jul - Blazing Chrome
Jul - Marvel's Spider-Man
Jul - Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise
Jul - The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors

*replayed
Aug - Ori and the Will of the Wisps
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Man X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
APR - Yoku's Island Express (100%) (Switch)
APR - WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade on PS Vita)
APR - Holedown (Android)
MAY - South Park: The Stick Of Truth (Switch)
JUN - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
JUN - Golf Story (Switch)
JUL - Days Gone (PS4)
JUL - Bayonetta (Switch)
JUL - Watch Dogs 2 (PS4)
JUL - The Gardens Between (Android)
AUG - Hyper Light Drifter (Switch)
AUG - Celeste Classic (PICO-8 on Switch)
AUG - Thimbleweed Park (Android)
AUG - Celeste (Switch)

There's nothing I can say that's not already been said. An absolute masterpiece that surpassed my every expectation. Constantly evolving, constantly surprising, this has set the standard for platform games for years to come.
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Angry_Kurt wrote: August 15th, 2020, 8:16 pm Was this just the first season or the whole series?
The game only had 1 season consisting of 5 episodes, with the extra episode "400 Days" released fairly recently. :)
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Alex79uk wrote: August 15th, 2020, 8:42 pm
HaloFandango wrote: August 15th, 2020, 4:56 pm Games Beaten:

15th August - Telltale's The Walking Dead (excluding the 400 Days DLC).

Yeah, TWD was interesting because the first episode was very much aiming for a more traditional point and click adventure, with an inventory and puzzles etc (like most of Telltale's other work up to that point). They binned that off pretty quick though and the series was much better for it.
For sure, most items you don't keep for longer than a few scenes in most episodes and the series definitely put the characters and the choices you make with them at the forefront. The puzzles were very simple, but I feel they were designed that way so that they don't interfere with the story.