Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
ColinAlonso

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by ColinAlonso »

duskvstweak wrote: August 24th, 2020, 6:47 amAlso, no surprise, I love the Ice Cap and Lava Reed Zones and accompanying music.
I've played the Mega Drive Sonics regularly since I was young and Lava Reef is my favourite zone of the whole series. It's also, apparently, the longest zone in the Mega Drive games. Some zones have one short and one long act but I still spend 5-6 minutes on each of its acts savouring the design and music.

Anyway onto my list
Spoiler: show
Jan 1 - Wonder Boy in Monster World (Sega Mega Drive Mini)
Jan 5 – FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 21 – God of War (PS4)
Feb 6 – Into The Breach (Switch) (Normal)
Feb 10 – Wargroove: Double Trouble (Switch)
Feb 15 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
Feb 16 - Ristar (Switch)
Apr 4 - Florence (Android)
Apr 8- Resident Evil 2 (2019) (PS4) (Leon - Standard)
Apr 13 - Spider-Man: Turf Wars DLC (PS4)
Apr 14 - Spider-Man: Silver Lining DLC (PS4)
May 12 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
May 17- The Gardens Between (Switch)
May 28 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
Jun 14 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4)
Jun 15 - WarioWare Gold (3DS)
Jun 16 - A Short Hike (PC)
Jun 17 - Catlateral Damage (PC)
Jun 20 - Horizon: Zero Dawn - The Frozen Wilds (PS4)
Jun 20 - Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC - PC emulation)
Jul 2 - The World Ends With You Solo Remix (Android)
Jul 11 - Mr. Driller Drill Land (Switch)
Jul 20 - Monument Valley 2 (Android)
Jul 29 - Professor Layton and the Lost Future (3DS - DS Cart)
Aug 6 - FutureGrind (PC)

Its probably easier to watch a trailer than for me to explain the gameplay but I'll try.

It involves controlling a bike that's like two unicycles welded together at opposite angles and grinding it on rails along 2d tracks. The rails come in three colours in each level, two matching the colours of each wheel on your bike, which only the matching colour wheel is allowed to touch, and white, which either wheel can touch.

Controlling the bike feels really good, I felt a good sense of inertia when spinning the bike around and trying to keep balance. Controls are simple too, using an analogue stick and pressing a button to jump (or double jump) which can also be held to grind on the underside of rails. The game introduces new bikes throughout, each with their own quirks to keep gameplay fresh.

I liked how progression was laid out: complete the level, then complete it twice more with a different condition attached to each run e.g. don't touch yellow rails; perform 5 undergrinds etc. Then onto the next level. I died a fair few times but it was never overly challenging.

So yeah, this was a pleasant surprise and a good bit of fun. Its a shame it had to have a story, it doesn't take up too much time but I didn't like it at all.

Aug 9 - Pikuniku (PC)

Any game that makes me laugh in the first 30 seconds has a good chance with me. Its an enjoyable piece of silliness and Pikuniku (himself? herself?) is fun to control. Some nice music too.
FREE MONEY!!!

Also I remembered the toaster, dear god the toaster! :lol:
Aug 14 - Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch)

It's kinda a throwback to 16-bit JRPGs but not beholden to those either.

I found the combat to be the most interesting part of the game as it's quite different to games from that era. It happens on screen like Chrono Trigger. Each character has a set of skills, most of which can only be used once but you can spend a turn defending which recharges skills. Skills are varied enough to encourage experimentation and tweaking. Then there are items that can only be used once by the party per battle but recharge at the end of each battle, acting more like a skill used once per battle. Programs are like items but are tied to each character's armour. Each character also has a turn counter, when this is full that character's skills are extra powerful for that turn, encouraging planning (buffs, debuffs, ensuring you have your most powerful skills available) for those turns.

The game has a solid sci-fi setting and plot but it doesn't do anything that interesting. Overall I enjoyed it but it wouldn't be a recommendation unless you're into the genre and interested in variations on turn based battle mechanics. I completed it in less than 20 hours which meant it didn't outstay its welcome.

I also noted a few references to old games e.g the terrorist organisation have a meeting place in sector 7, the main character's name, Alyssa, is likely a reference to Phantasy Star 1 and/or 4 but my favourite is Finn's side quest.
I clocked it the second I walked into that darkened police station. Even before I reached a zombie or the statue in the foyer I knew I wandered into Resi 2.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Scrustle wrote: August 24th, 2020, 9:53 pm K2 is using the same engine that was introduced in 6. Everything from 3 to K1 used the previous engine, which did evolve over time though. But the engine for 6/K2 added a bunch of new graphical features and a more extensive physics engine.
I may be wrong but 5,0 and K1 may actually be on a newer engine from 3 and 4. Both engines would have been developed for the PS3 though so the jump for the 6/K2 engine is far more obvious as that was designed for the PS4.

0 and K1 were cross-gen games in Japan, that's why they are on the older engine. Starting K2, coming from K1, was a really big shock for me. :)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

ColinAlonso wrote: August 24th, 2020, 11:05 pmI may be wrong but 5,0 and K1 may actually be on a newer engine from 3 and 4. Both engines would have been developed for the PS3 though so the jump for the 6/K2 engine is far more obvious as that was designed for the PS4.

0 and K1 were cross-gen games in Japan, that's why they are on the older engine. Starting K2, coming from K1, was a really big shock for me. :)
There may be some truth to that, but I think it's one of those things where the line gets blurry and what genuinely counts as a different "version" of the engine ends up being kind of arbitrary. I do remember that when 5 was coming out they did talk about how it was a new engine, but actually playing the game it doesn't feel like it at all. It looks and feels pretty much identical, and any improvement 5 made over 4 is not too different from what 4 made over 3. Obviously I don't know what's actually going on under the hood, and I expect there probably was some level of re-engineering they did for 5, but I suspect calling it a whole new engine is more PR hype than actual truth.

6 did feel more like a genuine shift though. Not just adding in new graphical features and physics, but the way combat feels on a base level is definitely different, like you can tell it was rebuilt from the ground up to work within a new technical framework. There's probably a difference in how it streams in the environment too, with how there are no loading zones going in to shops, and how combat starts seamlessly out in the world, without having to go through that short introduction sequence each time that previous games did. I expect that engine is probably somewhat based on older tech too, but it at least feels like an actual evolution in to something meaningfully different.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I assume Judgement was on the new engine? I honestly thought Zero was too.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Yeah Judgment is on the new one. It's that, 6, and K2. And the next main game too of course, where the naming is a bit weird. In Japan it's 7, but globally it's dropping the number and getting the subtitle "Like a Dragon" instead, which is actually the translation of the main name of the series in Japan (Ryu Ga Gotoku).
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I suspect the xbox one versions complicate it further, they may all be running on the same engine version as each other (I certainly can’t see any significant visual differences between 0 and k1 on my xbox)
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
02/04 - Lucah: Born of a Dream (NG+, Bad Ending)
14/04 - Yakuza 4 Remastered
17/04 - Fable Anniversary
21/04 - Transistor
01/05 - The Last Guardian
11/05 - Mafia III
15/05 - Mini Ninjas
17/05 - Burnout Paradise Remastered (Elite License)
20/05 - The Gardens Between
25/05 - The Wonderful 101 Remastered (Normal)
27/05 - El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
06/06 - Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
14/06 - OneShot
16/06 - OneShot (NG+/Solstice)
22/06 - The World Begins With You
27/06 - Titanfall 2
10/07 - Vane
16/07 - What Remains of Edith Finch
27/07 - Braid
28/07 - Shadow Warrior 2
07/08 - Night in the Woods
15/08 - Night in the Woods
23/08 - Yakuza 5 Remastered
26/08 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)

Just did this run to refresh my memory for the podcast episode, so I'll post deeper thoughts for that. Still an absolute banger though. This time I tried to scratch the surface of the creative depth of the mechanics though, and build a few of my own combo strings. Nothing too crazy, but just dipping my toes in to see what I can do. Although I didn't go super deep with it, it was still cool. Might continue digging in to that later.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

13th Jan - Dishonored 2
19th Jan - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
23rd Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
4th Feb - Wolfenstein: The New Order
18th Feb - Titanfall 2
28th Feb - What Remains of Edith Finch
2nd Mar - Gone Home
2nd Mar - Florence
21st Mar - Hitman (2016)
21st Mar - Thief 2
22nd Mar - BioShock Remastered
25th Mar - Dishonored
3rd Apr - Resident Evil 2 (2019)
4th Apr - Hitman 2
18th Apr - Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
25th Apr - Monument Valley
1st May - Uncharted 4
6th May - The Last of Us
8th May - The Last of Us: Left Behind
9th May - Far Cry Primal
21st May - Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches
24th May - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
31st May - The Banner Saga 1
8th June - The Banner Saga 2
17th June - God of War (2018)
27th June - The Last of Us Part II
12th July - Control
13th July - DUSK
22nd July - Resident Evil 4
7th August - Deus Ex
7th August - A Short Hike
8th August - Resident Evil (2002)
9th August - The Banner Saga 3
23rd August - SteamWorld Quest
28th August - Vampire: The Masquerade -Coteries of New York

Just posted about this in watch been playing, didn't realise I was so close to the end of the game. I could definitely have spend another couple of hours in it and I had two or three characters whose quests I wanted to finish up, guess I'll have to replay it some time to get through those. There's three characters and clans to choose from so there's probably enough different content in a second playthrough for it to be 50-60% new stuff if you choose deliberately. I loved what I did get to see though and I can't wait for that Shadows of New York expansion.
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

3 January: Untitled Goose Game (Xbox One)
13 January: Punch-Out! (NES on Switch)
16 January: Spyro the Dragon (PS4)
19 January: Mega Man X (SNES Classic Mini)
26 January: The Ninja Saviors (Switch)
31 January: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (SNES on Switch)
3 February: Bulletstorm (PS4)
5 February: Koral (Switch)
7 February: Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES on Switch)
9 February: Super Mario Bros. (NES on Switch)
10 February: Super Cycle (C64 Mini)
16 February: Bioshock (PS4)
18 February: Castlevania - Circle of the Moon (Game Boy Advance)
19 February: Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night (Xbox One)
25 February: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Game Boy Advance)
27 February: Ninja Gaiden Shadow (Game Boy)
29 February: Ghostbusters (C64 Mini)
4 March: Destruction Derby 2 (PlayStation Classic)
14 March: Doom 3 (Switch)
18 March: Anodyne (Switch)
30 March: Agent X (ZX Spectrum)
31 March: Agent X II (ZX Spectrum)
4 April: Death Star Interceptor (ZX Spectrum)
11 April: Doom 64 (Switch)
13 April: Doom (Switch)
26 April: Doom II (Switch)
27 April: Kid Dracula (Game Boy)
30 April: Saboteur 2 - Avenging Angel (Switch)
3 May: TimeSplitters (PS2)
5 May: TimeSplitters 2 (PS2)
6 May: Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)
7 May: Moley Christmas (ZX Spectrum)
14 May: Streets of Rage 2 (Mega Drive Mini)
18 May: Daley Thompson’s Decathlon (ZX Spectrum)
26 May: Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (Game Boy Colour)
31 May: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS4)
12 June: TMNT (Game Boy Advance)
13 June: Call of Duty WWII (PS4)
14 June: American Election (Mac)
14 June: Wampus (NES)
16 June: I’m Bored, Let’s Explore (Ruins) (Mac)
16 June: Masks (Mac)
18 June: Intrepid (Mac)
23 June: In Other Waters (Switch)
26 June: Rik the Roadie (ZX Spectrum)
28 June: Milk Race (ZX Spectrum)
30 June: Akumajo Dracula / Super Castlevania IV (Switch)
12 July: Manic Miner 2020 - Special Edition (ZX Spectrum)
13 July: Super Mario Bros. COVID-19 Edition (ZX Spectrum)
13 July: Monument Valley 2 (iPad)
18 July: Erica (PS4)
19 July: The Room 2 (iPad)
20 July: Silent Hill (PlayStation Classic)
28 July: Ghostbusters The Video Game Remastered (PS4)
8 August: Call of Duty - Modern Warfare 2 (PS4)
14 August: Carrion (Xbox)
24 August: Winter Games (ZX Spectrum)
25 August: Winter Games (C64 Mini)
27 August: Star Wars Episode 1 Racer (Switch)

Not being playing a lot with an ending (or at least one I’ll ever see!) this month, but Carrion is a definite highlight.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Man X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
APR - Yoku's Island Express (100%) (Switch)
APR - WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade on PS Vita)
APR - Holedown (Android)
MAY - South Park: The Stick Of Truth (Switch)
JUN - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
JUN - Golf Story (Switch)
JUL - Days Gone (PS4)
JUL - Bayonetta (Switch)
JUL - Watch Dogs 2 (PS4)
JUL - The Gardens Between (Android)
AUG - Hyper Light Drifter (Switch)
AUG - Celeste Classic (PICO-8 on Switch)
AUG - Thimbleweed Park (Android)
AUG - Celeste (Switch)
AUG - Bury Me, My Love (Android)

It was alright.

AUG - NBA 2K20: Career Mode story (Switch)

I'm absolutely loving this game, played it loads over the last week and improving all the time. Played a few online matches now too, but it's annoying everyone else ALWAYS picks the Lakers.

Anyway, the story mode... Meh it's ok. I mean it's good really, but it just stops abruptly when you get drafted for the NBA. I got my first choice signing (Lakers. Yes, I'm aware of the irony) and played a few matches after the story ended, but concentrating on the league mode and online play now.

I'm really hooked though, to the extent I might keep an eye out for a good deal on 2K21 on the PS4.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

13th Jan - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
24th Jan - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
28th Jan - Far Lone Sails
10th Feb - Super Mario World
21st Feb - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
7th Mar - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
18th Apr - Batman - The Telltale Series
9th May - Animal Crossing
9th May - Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - Donkey Kong Adventure DLC
29th May - Luigi's Mansion 3
9th June - Journey To The Savage Planet
24th June - Golf Peaks

30th August - Hollow Knight

Been plugging away at this for several weeks after buying it two years back but just not feeling ready to play it until now.

What a game it is. Probably the tightest controlling, most rewarding 2D Metroidvania I’ve ever played. Atmospherically awesome too, totally up there with Inside and Super Metroid.

Music is gorgeous, I love how the different areas subtly flow into each other, loved all the secrets as your traversal capabilities improved and the enemy variation was staggering. The patterns and attacks they repeatedly found ways to alter was mind blowing.

Loved a great many of the bosses too. Staggering achievement for a small team (of 3 I believe?!).

You could level criticism at it that it is basically just D*** S***s in 2D, from the lore, story, difficulty curve, structure etc. Even found the opening hours similarly punishing with a great many of the biggest difficulty spikes midway through. But honestly didn’t care.

Huge sense of achievement from beating it and should have enough of a gap now to get excited about the sequel!

Though I wonder if I'm actually done yet...? Guessing I got the bad ending, from how it panned out, and there's a better one to be had as my completion percentage was 68% and I only upgraded my Nail once and never beat a Warrior enemy. Did tick off several optional bosses though and looking at the achievements, I did many of them that aren’t required for 100% goals.

Don’t quite feel ready to set it aside just yet. Equally having had a go at Grey Zote tonight and spent 5 hours failing at the second Coliseum challenge, I’m not sure I’ve another 20 hours of punishment in me for a slightly alternate cut scene!

31st August - A short hike

From a game that tested me, took me 2 months to beat and made me angry / buzzing simultaneously, comes a joyous stroll that's over in 2 hours.

Charming little game that was just a wonderful way to meet a few nice people, have a soppy moment or two and find a few secrets. Plus it's a joy to control and traverse.

Can see why it's getting the praise it is and totally worth a look for the price of a sandwich.

There's a ton of Switch Indies dropping this month in fact. Got loads to catch up on like Raji, Spiritfarer and Superliminal.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

I really wanted to like Hollow Knight as I'm a huge Metroidvania fan, but I just couldn't get past the first section, I found it difficult at that stage so thought I wouldn't have much hope carrying on. If it is like a 2D Dark Souls as you say, then maybe that's why I didn't get on with it.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

seansthomas wrote: August 31st, 2020, 11:19 pm There's a ton of Switch Indies dropping this month in fact. Got loads to catch up on like Raji, Spiritfarer and Superliminal.
Cool to see Superliminal on your list, I really enjoyed it and it's really short, took me about 90 minutes-2 hours.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Angry_Kurt wrote: September 1st, 2020, 9:11 am I really wanted to like Hollow Knight as I'm a huge Metroidvania fan, but I just couldn't get past the first section, I found it difficult at that stage so thought I wouldn't have much hope carrying on. If it is like a 2D Dark Souls as you say, then maybe that's why I didn't get on with it.
Nearly bailed on it myself. No hearts, hard combat, no cash to buy a map, no save points, locked in a room I probably shouldn't be in yet fighting a boss that's nails.

But once I got a bit of cash, beat the first boss or so then that frustration turned into a sense of achievement and I pushed on. Ended up loving it.

So yeah, same formula as Dark Souls, Bloodborne etc.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

That was my problem too, lack of cash to buy a map, facing that first boss and feeling I had no chance to the point where I assumed I wasn't supposed to face it yet and come back later. I felt like I was missing something, like where to get cash.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

I wanted to play more of Hollow Knight too as it is insanely beautiful and has atmosphere to spare. I'm just bad at 2D games, particularly platforming, so I was just always losing all my resources. I managed to beat Hornet and then ran out of steam.

I've played the soundtrack a lot though, and there is an all-piano version of it that came out last year which is really lovely.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

12. Perils of Baking (PS Vita)
A nice little platformer with nice variety to the levels. Most importantly for a platformer it has tight mechanics too and the difficulty is just about right. A cool game from the under rated Lillymo Games. 7/10
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Far Cry New Dawn - XB1X.
(Jan) Darksiders 3 - XB1X.
(Feb) Borderlands 3 - XB1X.
(Mar) Remnant: From the Ashes - XB1X.
(Mar) Farming Simulator 17 - XB1X.
(Mar) Tracks-The Train Set Game - XB1X.
(Apr) Vanquish Remastered - XB1X.
(Apr) Deliver Us The Moon - XB1X.
(May) DOOM Eternal - XB1X.
(July) The Last of Us Part 2 - PS4 Pro.
(July) Assassin's Creed Odyssey - PS4 Pro.
(July) Resident Evil 3 Remake - PS4 Pro.
(Sept) Nioh - PS4 Pro.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
02/04 - Lucah: Born of a Dream (NG+, Bad Ending)
14/04 - Yakuza 4 Remastered
17/04 - Fable Anniversary
21/04 - Transistor
01/05 - The Last Guardian
11/05 - Mafia III
15/05 - Mini Ninjas
17/05 - Burnout Paradise Remastered (Elite License)
20/05 - The Gardens Between
25/05 - The Wonderful 101 Remastered (Normal)
27/05 - El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
06/06 - Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
14/06 - OneShot
16/06 - OneShot (NG+/Solstice)
22/06 - The World Begins With You
27/06 - Titanfall 2
10/07 - Vane
16/07 - What Remains of Edith Finch
27/07 - Braid
28/07 - Shadow Warrior 2
07/08 - Night in the Woods
15/08 - Night in the Woods
23/08 - Yakuza 5 Remastered
26/08 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
04/09 - Hyper Light Drifter

Damn, I love this game. Masterpiece. Still amazing. A fantastic world to explore and soak in the atmosphere of. Brilliant art design, audio design, soundtrack, world design, everything. Feels so tight and responsive to play too. So many other games with way bigger teams and budgets wish they could be as snappy and polished as this. The only things I would say I wasn't crazy about were one or two annoying enemy types, and that sometimes tossing out a bomb doesn't seem to work for some unknown reason. But that's like 99% brilliant with a few tiny niggles.

This time around I tried to go for as many of the collectibles as I could. Not exactly 100%, but as close to it as I cared for. At least get all the monoliths to try and shed a bit more light on the story. And I did manage that, although it didn't explain anything... I mean, I have picked up stuff about the lore from this game over the years, but I wanted to see it "properly" this time, and I heard this is where you find it. But once you collect all of them, it doesn't translate any of it. So back to the wikis it is I guess. At least now I know there won't be anything to spoil for myself now. I also managed to get all the weapons, and upgraded everything, but I was still missing two gearbits. I was using a map that shows where everything is as I was playing, making sure not to move on from a room until I was sure I had got everything in it, but apparently there's still those tiny bits eluding me. Ah well.

Also I found the difficulty a bit odd this time around. It's interesting, as I assume the way they expect you to play as a newcomer is to chip away at each of the three starter zones bit by bit, coming back when you get stuck to upgrade or try another path. I did something like that first time too, but now I just did each area in one solid sitting. Different zones do have different difficulties, but it didn't feel consistent with their bosses to me. North is probably the easiest area, but hardest boss. East is the hardest area, but the boss is way easier than the others. West is in the middle for both at least. And then after all that I found the final boss not particularly hard at all. Was the second easiest after the East boss, and I beat it in only two tries. Having the upgrade to absorb bullets with the dash was a massive help for that though I think, but it's probably pretty unlikely anyone will get that far without having it by then.

I was thinking about the Alt Drifter a bit too. I've never played as them, and never even seen what they play like. Looking it up, it seems they actually are quite different, and not just a re-skin. Makes me want to try it out some time.

And of course this has me even more pumped for Solar Ash too. Can't wait.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

That's how I played it too. Do one full area at a time. In fact when I played it, you could only go in one direction, each way was blocked off until you'd cleared one of the other ways. I was forced to go east, west, north, south I think. I'd read a lot about the difficulty of the game, but I think it's been patched and balanced a lot since release, as it really wasn't overly challenging. The trickiest parts were through the locked doors, almost like challenge areas. They were really enjoyable though. And the bosses were great, I thought. I ended up wanting more when I'd finished, which is always a good sign I guess, as with most games I end up having my fill by the time they're done.