Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Scrustle

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by Scrustle »

Alex79uk wrote: September 4th, 2020, 3:42 pm That's how I played it too. Do one full area at a time. In fact when I played it, you could only go in one direction, each way was blocked off until you'd cleared one of the other ways. I was forced to go east, west, north, south I think. I'd read a lot about the difficulty of the game, but I think it's been patched and balanced a lot since release, as it really wasn't overly challenging. The trickiest parts were through the locked doors, almost like challenge areas. They were really enjoyable though. And the bosses were great, I thought. I ended up wanting more when I'd finished, which is always a good sign I guess, as with most games I end up having my fill by the time they're done.
I'm pretty sure it never forced you to go in only one direction. I played it when it first released and I'm certain the only direction that was blocked off was south, like it always has been. And I do remember having a tough time with it before they patched the game to make it easier, and exploring multiple areas at once. On my first run the first boss I beat was east, before anything was patched, but that definitely wasn't the first one I attempted. In terms of difficulty the things they patched were some of the Drifter's abilities. First they added i-frames to the dash (originally there were none) and made the healing animation faster. But they very quickly patched it again to slow down healing, but still having it faster than it was at first. Those i-frames are what really helped me with the bosses I couldn't beat at first. This was all when the game only ran in 30fps too. I completed it before it got the 60fps patch.
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

Finally saw the credits roll on Days Gone.

I really enjoyed it a lot, which I still find surprising considering how bad I have zombie and post-apocalyptic fatigue.

The biggest surprise is how much I liked the story. I had only heard rumblings about how long the game was when I was already 10-15 hours in, and the game hadn't hooked me yet so I was a little worried about it. But once it got going I really enjoyed the story all the way through. I liked most of the characters in the game, even the ones you were supposed to hate, and genuinely felt for them most of the time.

The world itself was very pretty a lot of the time (Ripper camps aside), but not terribly interesting to me, and the world was too bleak for me to want to spend too much time in it. The things you do in it are great, though.

Also, battling hordes is one of the most exhilarating things I've done in a game in a long time.

I heard if you continue playing after the credits there's a "true ending" people seem to like, so I'll try to trigger that soon.

It reminds me of Mad Max. Both are games I had zero interest in, but after hearing their podcast episodes, picked them up on sale, and both have become among my favorite games this gen. So that's pretty cool.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Spoiler: show
Jan 1 - Wonder Boy in Monster World (Sega Mega Drive Mini)
Jan 5 – FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 21 – God of War (PS4)
Feb 6 – Into The Breach (Switch) (Normal)
Feb 10 – Wargroove: Double Trouble (Switch)
Feb 15 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
Feb 16 - Ristar (Switch)
Apr 4 - Florence (Android)
Apr 8- Resident Evil 2 (2019) (PS4) (Leon - Standard)
Apr 13 - Spider-Man: Turf Wars DLC (PS4)
Apr 14 - Spider-Man: Silver Lining DLC (PS4)
May 12 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
May 17- The Gardens Between (Switch)
May 28 - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
Jun 14 - Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4)
Jun 15 - WarioWare Gold (3DS)
Jun 16 - A Short Hike (PC)
Jun 17 - Catlateral Damage (PC)
Jun 20 - Horizon: Zero Dawn - The Frozen Wilds (PS4)
Jun 20 - Pokémon Trading Card Game (GBC - PC emulation)
Jul 2 - The World Ends With You Solo Remix (Android)
Jul 11 - Mr. Driller Drill Land (Switch)
Jul 20 - Monument Valley 2 (Android)
Jul 29 - Professor Layton and the Lost Future (3DS - DS Cart)
Aug 6 - FutureGrind (PC)
Aug 9 - Pikuniku (PC)
Aug 14 - Cosmic Star Heroine (Switch)
Aug 30 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles (PC)
Duskvstweak's recent mention of playing this put me in the mood for another playthrough. Got all the emeralds for the best ending.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Scrustle wrote: September 4th, 2020, 4:20 pm
Alex79uk wrote: September 4th, 2020, 3:42 pm That's how I played it too. Do one full area at a time. In fact when I played it, you could only go in one direction, each way was blocked off until you'd cleared one of the other ways. I was forced to go east, west, north, south I think. I'd read a lot about the difficulty of the game, but I think it's been patched and balanced a lot since release, as it really wasn't overly challenging. The trickiest parts were through the locked doors, almost like challenge areas. They were really enjoyable though. And the bosses were great, I thought. I ended up wanting more when I'd finished, which is always a good sign I guess, as with most games I end up having my fill by the time they're done.
I'm pretty sure it never forced you to go in only one direction. I played it when it first released and I'm certain the only direction that was blocked off was south, like it always has been. And I do remember having a tough time with it before they patched the game to make it easier, and exploring multiple areas at once. On my first run the first boss I beat was east, before anything was patched, but that definitely wasn't the first one I attempted. In terms of difficulty the things they patched were some of the Drifter's abilities. First they added i-frames to the dash (originally there were none) and made the healing animation faster. But they very quickly patched it again to slow down healing, but still having it faster than it was at first. Those i-frames are what really helped me with the bosses I couldn't beat at first. This was all when the game only ran in 30fps too. I completed it before it got the 60fps patch.
Ah right, I could be remembering it totally wrong in that case! I definitely went East, West, North then South though. Yeah I remember reading about the iFrames on the dodge, I can imagine the game being brutal without those. I played on the Switch, which supposedly was a 'definitive edition', but I'm not sure what it added because really there was only the four direction areas then the final boss. Maybe it was a couple of unique weapons or something, and I did seem to unlock some sort of football game against a robot thing at one point!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Alex79uk wrote: September 4th, 2020, 6:11 pm
Ah right, I could be remembering it totally wrong in that case! I definitely went East, West, North then South though. Yeah I remember reading about the iFrames on the dodge, I can imagine the game being brutal without those. I played on the Switch, which supposedly was a 'definitive edition', but I'm not sure what it added because really there was only the four direction areas then the final boss. Maybe it was a couple of unique weapons or something, and I did seem to unlock some sort of football game against a robot thing at one point!
The Switch version came out way after they finished tweaking the original version. Also done by a different developer. The differences is they added a new enemy gauntlet challenge (The Tower) which rewards you with a couple of weapons and an outfit if you beat it. And I looked up if that version forces you in only one direction, and it doesn't.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Oh yeah I was sure you were right, my memory is not to be relied on, ever!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
02/04 - Lucah: Born of a Dream (NG+, Bad Ending)
14/04 - Yakuza 4 Remastered
17/04 - Fable Anniversary
21/04 - Transistor
01/05 - The Last Guardian
11/05 - Mafia III
15/05 - Mini Ninjas
17/05 - Burnout Paradise Remastered (Elite License)
20/05 - The Gardens Between
25/05 - The Wonderful 101 Remastered (Normal)
27/05 - El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
06/06 - Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
14/06 - OneShot
16/06 - OneShot (NG+/Solstice)
22/06 - The World Begins With You
27/06 - Titanfall 2
10/07 - Vane
16/07 - What Remains of Edith Finch
27/07 - Braid
28/07 - Shadow Warrior 2
07/08 - Night in the Woods
15/08 - Night in the Woods
23/08 - Yakuza 5 Remastered
26/08 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
04/09 - Hyper Light Drifter
05/09 - Prey (2017)

So after some false starts previously I finally got through this. In the end I came away generally positive about it, but I'm not blown away. Once I got over the hump at the start where the game feels kind of restrictive in what you can do, I started appreciating it more. I liked the complex level design that has you thinking about navigation in some unconventional ways, and unusual weapons and abilities that were fun to explore.

The enemy design I'm kind of mixed on. On the one hand, they basically are all black gooey blobs. But for a couple of them when they were first introduced they were pretty scary and threatening, although that tended to ware off pretty quickly. I think the Nightmare is probably the one that stands out most, despite probably being one of the more simple ones. But the sheer size of the thing, the way it moves, and the sound it makes, it feels almost wrong, like it's out of place in this reality.

I still stand by one of my main problems I had with the game previously, although perhaps now I wouldn't be as harsh with it as before, but I do honestly think this game lacks the atmosphere it seems to be going for. I've heard praise for how the game does this, but I don't get it. In most cases, the audio design is pretty flat. I get the sense it's trying to go for this eerie emptiness, but it seems to be trying to achieve that in a way too literal of a sense, and it ends up hurting the atmosphere instead. There's often no audio soundscape to a lot of areas, and sometimes there's issues with sound effects playing too. Like them not playing when they should, or balancing issues, or dialogue overlapping and cutting each other off. In general I think they game could have done much better at this than it did.

The story in general was fine I suppose. It has an intriguing central question of working out exactly what is going on and how to stop it, but it kind of sticks on that one idea through the whole thing. And there aren't really any particularly interesting characters, and no big complex themes to grapple with, like you might see in something like Bioshock or Deus Ex. Anything approaching ideas like that tend to be tangential and not explored much. Although I think I do have to give some credit to Alex Yu, the sort of pseudo-antagonist. He's interesting in concept as he isn't really very antagonistic to you. Instead just somewhat stand-offish and distant, but also at times friendly and helpful. It's an interesting dynamic and I think there's a lot of potential to explore in that idea for games in general. And I quite liked the ending. Or rather the post-credits sequence. The pre-credits ending is a bit anticlimactic (what is it with immersive sims and anticlimactic endings?), but after that the twist was pretty cool. I heard how this was controversial back when this game first came out, and I suppose I can see why, but only from a sort of knee-jerk response. It's an example of a trope that is a cliche to even bring up, but I think the way they did it here was really cool and different. I already had suspicions long before the end that something like that was going to happen, but I was still surprised at exactly how it went.

So yeah, overall good, but not great. I could perhaps see a version of this game that did certain things differently being something I would love, but as it is I don't think it reached those heights. But as it is, it's definitely far from bad.

And as an aside, turns out I'm finishing this almost exactly a year after finishing off the 2006 Prey as well.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

03/01 - Disco Elysium (PC)
03/02 - DUSK (PC)
12/02 - Baba is You (PC)
13/02 - Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PSP - via Castlevania: Dracula X)
21/03 - Dying Light (PC)
24/03 - Ori and The Will of the Wisps (PC)
04/04 - DOOM: Eternal (PC)
05/04 - Resident Evil 3 (PC)
10/04 - Tangle Tower (Switch)
13/05 - Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PS Vita)
23/05 - Mega Man X2 (Switch)
14/06 - Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Switch)
03/07 - The Last of Us Part 2 (PS4)
11/07 - Divinity: Original Sin 2 (PC)
22/07 - Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia (DS)
28/07 - Demon's Souls (PS3)
21/08 - Manifold Garden (PC)
05/09 - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PC)

And now onto Heavensward!
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Super Mario Bros. Via All-Stars

On switch with save states/rewinds.

Still fun and I much prefer the all stars version to both look at and play
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Days Gone

Thoroughly enjoyed this game and think it’s really underrated. I think it suffers from it being another zombie game which can put people off with zombie fatigue. It’s one reason why it took me so long to get to it. But I’m really glad I did as it really isn’t just another zombie game.
It starts off a little basic and generic open world with unlikeable characters, but as the game went on I grew to like the characters as they developed, the story becomes quite compelling I found which I really didn’t expect.

The gameplay I found to have a similar a satisfying loop to the Far Cry games and the shooting and stealth mechanics are good, so every combat encounter was enjoyable. Furthermore the hordes are some of the most exhilarating things I’ve done this gen, a shame they aren’t introduced earlier as I feel that would get more people interested in the game.

My only criticisms are that the game is really long with some bizarre missions that are lengthy but totally unecessary. I also thought the skill tree could’ve been better as some of the unlocks didn’t really add much to the character.

Overall though, one on my favourite PS4 exclusives. Thanks to Alex79_UK for lending it me.
Jon Cheetham

Post by Jon Cheetham »

13th Jan - Dishonored 2
19th Jan - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
23rd Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
4th Feb - Wolfenstein: The New Order
18th Feb - Titanfall 2
28th Feb - What Remains of Edith Finch
2nd Mar - Gone Home
2nd Mar - Florence
21st Mar - Hitman (2016)
21st Mar - Thief 2
22nd Mar - BioShock Remastered
25th Mar - Dishonored
3rd Apr - Resident Evil 2 (2019)
4th Apr - Hitman 2
18th Apr - Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
25th Apr - Monument Valley
1st May - Uncharted 4
6th May - The Last of Us
8th May - The Last of Us: Left Behind
9th May - Far Cry Primal
21st May - Dishonored: The Knife of Dunwall & The Brigmore Witches
24th May - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
31st May - The Banner Saga 1
8th June - The Banner Saga 2
17th June - God of War (2018)
27th June - The Last of Us Part II
12th July - Control
13th July - DUSK
22nd July - Resident Evil 4
7th August - Deus Ex
7th August - A Short Hike
8th August - Resident Evil (2002)
9th August - The Banner Saga 3
23rd August - SteamWorld Quest
28th August - Vampire: The Masquerade - Coteries of New York
7th September - Transistor

This game has amazing combat. It's all about your sword and how you allocate moves or "Functions" to it, up to four at a time on buttons of your choice, and then you can use other Functions as modifiers. So you end up with 9-10 moves to choose from, but with tons of potential permutations. By the end of the game, I imagine one person's move set could be entirely different to what some other players had.

For example, one of my most used moves was a short teleport forward and strike, called Jaunt. Initially I used it evasively to get out of the way of incoming fire, so I combined it with abilities that made me invisible while using it and left a "copy" of myself behind to distract enemies. But by the end I had modified it to fire seeking projectiles out from the spot where I originated and leave a trail of sparks, so that while it still had an evasive property it also meant that I was doing damage to nearby enemies. Because the combat lets you do a tactical pause called Turn, where you can plan out a limited series of attacks and actions, this was great for using Turn to unload powerful attacks and AOEs, and then dash around to avoid damage while it was recharging but still be passively reducing enemy HP.

It made me realise that one of my favourite things to do in a game is tinker with a power set and be able to customise a toybox of abilities like this. Looking through how the Functions combine and the different effects produced by mixing them at the "Access Points" is a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed coming up with overpowered combinations that would basically clear out the endgame fights in short order.

The game wants you to diversify your move set and experiment as well, since that's where you'll get some unexpectedly efficient and satisfying combat outcomes. So if your HP runs out, you don't just die, your HP bar refills but you lose your most used Function. Suddenly you need to change your strategy in a major way. Because of this you can end up losing all your health up to four times, but this only happened once for me and I had ended up with a Function that wouldn't really get me through the battle on its own so I ended up dying completely that time. You ultimately get your Functions back, but it's an interesting penalty and connects to the final boss.

The game's visuals are extremely cool, however I really disliked the constant narration so I just turned off the dialogue and subtitles and basically missed most of the story in the last two thirds of the game which I feel is no big loss. People seem to like it but it was a hard miss for me.

There's a NG+ mode called Recursion which I can see myself dipping into some time. Great game and short enough to smash through in three sittings.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
02/04 - Lucah: Born of a Dream (NG+, Bad Ending)
14/04 - Yakuza 4 Remastered
17/04 - Fable Anniversary
21/04 - Transistor
01/05 - The Last Guardian
11/05 - Mafia III
15/05 - Mini Ninjas
17/05 - Burnout Paradise Remastered (Elite License)
20/05 - The Gardens Between
25/05 - The Wonderful 101 Remastered (Normal)
27/05 - El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
06/06 - Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
14/06 - OneShot
16/06 - OneShot (NG+/Solstice)
22/06 - The World Begins With You
27/06 - Titanfall 2
10/07 - Vane
16/07 - What Remains of Edith Finch
27/07 - Braid
28/07 - Shadow Warrior 2
07/08 - Night in the Woods
15/08 - Night in the Woods
23/08 - Yakuza 5 Remastered
26/08 - Devil May Cry 5 (Son of Sparda)
04/09 - Hyper Light Drifter
05/09 - Prey (2017)
08/09 - Night in the Woods

Yet another run, just to finish off the last few bits I hadn't seen and focus on Bea this time. This run felt faster as I was not bothering to explore everything and just going for stuff I knew I still had left to do, but according to my play time it actually didn't cut the length of this run down much.

Still a really great experience, very moving. It's interesting how Bea and Gregg's stories differ. Gregg's stuff seems to be more focused on more personal and internal stuff, while Bea is more about external and more material problems. Although both sides have a good deal of both as well. Also did the tertiary character stuff, with Germ and Lori, which were both good as well. Lori has a lot going on despite you not spending a huge amount of time with her, and it was pretty interesting to finally see a bit beneath the surface with Germ and find out what his deal is. Also I realised on this run I must have missed one final sequence with Gregg last run too, seeing as I discovered you can hang out with either Gregg or Bea twice in the final chapter, instead of just once. But at this point I'll just go find a video of what I missed. Not worth going through the whole thing yet again for one little segment. (EDIT: upon looking in to it, it seems I didn't miss anything after all)

But yeah, great stuff. In a way I still wish there was more. Hopefully the dev's next game gets revealed soon, as it seems they have been teasing. Although I expect it will be quite different.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Far Cry New Dawn - XB1X.
(Jan) Darksiders 3 - XB1X.
(Feb) Borderlands 3 - XB1X.
(Mar) Remnant: From the Ashes - XB1X.
(Mar) Farming Simulator 17 - XB1X.
(Mar) Tracks-The Train Set Game - XB1X.
(Apr) Vanquish Remastered - XB1X.
(Apr) Deliver Us The Moon - XB1X.
(May) DOOM Eternal - XB1X.
(July) The Last of Us Part 2 - PS4 Pro.
(July) Assassin's Creed Odyssey - PS4 Pro.
(July) Resident Evil 3 Remake - PS4 Pro.
(Sept) Nioh - PS4 Pro.
(Sept) Carrion - XB1X.
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Sinclair Gregstrum wrote: August 19th, 2020, 2:37 pm Jan - Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (XOX)
Feb - The Last Of Us - Left Behind (PS4 Pro)
Feb - God Of War (PS4 Pro)
Mar - The Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening (Switch)
Apr - Panzer Dragoon (Switch)
Apr - Twin Breaker: A Sacred Symbols Adventure (Vita)
Apr - Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus (XOX)
Apr - Moss (PSVR)
Jun - Shenmue 3 (PS4 Pro)
Aug - The Last Of Us: Part II (PS4 Pro)
Aug - Streets Of Rage 4 (XOX)
Aug - Valkyria Chronicles (Switch)
Sep - Bayonetta 2 (Switch)

I loved this! I'm not a high level Bayonetta player by any means, but I found this to be a beautiful, rip-roaring ride of a game, where my 10 hour completion time just flew by. After only liking but not loving the original, I'm definitely now on high alert for the MIA Bayonetta 3.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

13th Jan - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
24th Jan - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
28th Jan - Far Lone Sails
10th Feb - Super Mario World
21st Feb - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
7th Mar - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
18th Apr - Batman - The Telltale Series
9th May - Animal Crossing
9th May - Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - Donkey Kong Adventure DLC
29th May - Luigi's Mansion 3
9th June - Journey To The Savage Planet
24th June - Golf Peaks
30th August - Hollow Knight
31st August - A short hike

12th September - SuperHot

What a great, innovative little game this is. Heard lots about the VR version but it played great on Switch (bar some tetchy gyro aiming I struggled with a tad at first).

Clever little story loop, some devious levels and the sensation of stringing together a series of moves feels exhilarating.

Guessing there's lots more to do now I've unlocked extra challenge and endless modes, but thoroughly enjoyed the 3 or 4 hours it took me to beat the succinct story.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Man X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
APR - Yoku's Island Express (100%) (Switch)
APR - WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade on PS Vita)
APR - Holedown (Android)
MAY - South Park: The Stick Of Truth (Switch)
JUN - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
JUN - Golf Story (Switch)
JUL - Days Gone (PS4)
JUL - Bayonetta (Switch)
JUL - Watch Dogs 2 (PS4)
JUL - The Gardens Between (Android)
AUG - Hyper Light Drifter (Switch)
AUG - Celeste Classic (PICO-8 on Switch)
AUG - Thimbleweed Park (Android)
AUG - Celeste (Switch)
AUG - Bury Me, My Love (Android)
AUG - NBA 2K20: Career Mode story (Switch)
SEP - Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch)

Thanks to Kurt for the loan, I've been playing this co-op with my 5 year old most Saturday and Sunday mornings for the last few weeks. It looks nice, has that Nintendo charm, but did I enjoy it? NO!

No, I really, really did not. I found it an awful chore to sit and play a couple of hours each time we turned it on. I'd lost interest by the end of the first session, and a few weeks later I was ready to snap my Switch in half. I found it boring, repetitive, irritating and joyless. Luigi feels slow and sluggish to control, with some of the bosses requiring pin point accuracy with regard to launching bombs or whatever at it, or jumping, and the game just can't give you that. It descends in to a frustrating, rage inducing mess. The lack of checkpoints on some bosses also almost caused me to have a literal breakdown, and that fucking stupid cat that runs off with the elevator buttons is one of the most irritating game ideas ever, forcing you to backtrack across levels I absolutely hated in the first place.

This is one of the dullest, most annoying games I've played on my Switch, and if I'd not been forced in to playing co-op, I wouldn't have lasted more than an hour.

But thanks for the loan, Kurt :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will just add, for balance, the kids loved it (and I honestly borrowed it for them, not me), and I appreciate I am very much in the minority regarding my feelings towards the game!
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Jan 31-Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair
April 13: Yakuza Kiwami
April 30: Locoroco 2
June 21: Batman: Arkham Knight
September 12: A Boy and His Blob

Lots to say about this on the show but to sum up, this is a fantastically designed puzzle platformer and overall good time for all ages. Puzzles were clever, abilities were fun and the bosses were a decent challenge. Also, the relationship between the boy and the blob is endearing as hell, just a super wholesome experience.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Far Cry New Dawn - XB1X.
(Jan) Darksiders 3 - XB1X.
(Feb) Borderlands 3 - XB1X.
(Mar) Remnant: From the Ashes - XB1X.
(Mar) Farming Simulator 17 - XB1X.
(Mar) Tracks-The Train Set Game - XB1X.
(Apr) Vanquish Remastered - XB1X.
(Apr) Deliver Us The Moon - XB1X.
(May) DOOM Eternal - XB1X.
(July) The Last of Us Part 2 - PS4 Pro.
(July) Assassin's Creed Odyssey - PS4 Pro.
(July) Resident Evil 3 Remake - PS4 Pro.
(Sept) Nioh - PS4 Pro.
(Sept) Carrion - XB1X.
(Sept) Man Of Medan -XB1X.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Blasphemous
Jan - A Short Hike
Jan - Dear Esther
Jan - Luigi's Mansion 3
Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
Jan - Gorogoa
Feb - Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
Feb - Samurai Shodown (2019)
Feb - SAR: Search and Rescue
Mar - Dragon Age: Origins*
Mar - Double Dragon IV
Mar - FRAMED
Mar - Binary Domain*
Mar - 198X
Mar - Missed messages.
Mar - Final Fantasy Adventure
Apr - Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
Apr - The King of Fighters XIII
Apr - The King of Fighters XIV
Apr - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Apr - World of Horror
Apr - Streets of Rage 4
May - Death Stranding
May - The Dig
May - Secret of Mana (1993)
Jun - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Jun - Battle Circuit
Jun - Doom (1993)*
Jun - Doom II*
Jun - The Last of Us Remastered*
Jun - The Outer Worlds
Jun - Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara*
Jul - The Last of Us Part 2
Jul - Blazing Chrome
Jul - Marvel's Spider-Man
Jul - Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise
Jul - The Ninja Saviors: Return of the Warriors
Aug - Ori and the Will of the Wisps

*replayed
Sep - Detroit: Become Human
Sep - Florence
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

Alex79uk wrote: September 12th, 2020, 9:24 am
Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Man X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
APR - Yoku's Island Express (100%) (Switch)
APR - WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade on PS Vita)
APR - Holedown (Android)
MAY - South Park: The Stick Of Truth (Switch)
JUN - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
JUN - Golf Story (Switch)
JUL - Days Gone (PS4)
JUL - Bayonetta (Switch)
JUL - Watch Dogs 2 (PS4)
JUL - The Gardens Between (Android)
AUG - Hyper Light Drifter (Switch)
AUG - Celeste Classic (PICO-8 on Switch)
AUG - Thimbleweed Park (Android)
AUG - Celeste (Switch)
AUG - Bury Me, My Love (Android)
AUG - NBA 2K20: Career Mode story (Switch)
SEP - Luigi's Mansion 3 (Switch)

Thanks to Kurt for the loan, I've been playing this co-op with my 5 year old most Saturday and Sunday mornings for the last few weeks. It looks nice, has that Nintendo charm, but did I enjoy it? NO!

No, I really, really did not. I found it an awful chore to sit and play a couple of hours each time we turned it on. I'd lost interest by the end of the first session, and a few weeks later I was ready to snap my Switch in half. I found it boring, repetitive, irritating and joyless. Luigi feels slow and sluggish to control, with some of the bosses requiring pin point accuracy with regard to launching bombs or whatever at it, or jumping, and the game just can't give you that. It descends in to a frustrating, rage inducing mess. The lack of checkpoints on some bosses also almost caused me to have a literal breakdown, and that fucking stupid cat that runs off with the elevator buttons is one of the most irritating game ideas ever, forcing you to backtrack across levels I absolutely hated in the first place.

This is one of the dullest, most annoying games I've played on my Switch, and if I'd not been forced in to playing co-op, I wouldn't have lasted more than an hour.

But thanks for the loan, Kurt :lol: :lol: :lol:

I will just add, for balance, the kids loved it (and I honestly borrowed it for them, not me), and I appreciate I am very much in the minority regarding my feelings towards the game!
I don't dislike it as much as you do, but I'll be honest I don't love it like a lot of other folk seem to either!

Never felt that pressing desire to load it up and press on with it. A bit like Yoshi and Paper Mario in truth.

Kids sorta liked it? But again Zelda, Animal Crossing and Mario always got chosen first.

It's an odd one because I think it's spectacular visually and in terms of animation. The level aesthetic is incredible. The sound and music top notch. I liked the villains. I loved the concepts of Gooigi and think it has some of the most inventive boss fights in years.

But by GOD, I never enjoyed controlling it. Took me hours to grasp which way to turn and aim. Often found I couldn't aim where I wanted to. Found myself hitting walls in terms of knowing where to go next. The stupid cat padding towards the end was infuriating. And some of the harder boss fights I'm convinced needed two players.

So I hear you. But equally, on a surface level I think it's gorgeous and deserves a play through for its ambition and inventiveness.