Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Jon Cheetham

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by Jon Cheetham »

Spoiler: show
13th Jan - Dishonored 2
19th Jan - Dishonored: Death of the Outsider
23rd Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
4th Feb - Wolfenstein: The New Order
18th Feb - Titanfall 2
28th Feb - What Remains of Edith Finch
2nd Mar - Gone Home
2nd Mar - Florence
21st Mar - Hitman (2016)
21st Mar - Thief 2
22nd Mar - BioShock Remastered
25th Mar - Dishonored
3rd Apr - Resident Evil 2 Remake
4th Apr - Hitman 2
18th Apr - Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
25th Apr - Monument Valley
1st May - Uncharted 4
6th May - The Last of Us
8th May - The Last of Us: Left Behind
9th May - Far Cry Primal

Finished this the other day. Played a few hours when I bought it Feb last year, before Sekiro took over, and decided to wrap it up recently. I've enjoyed sinking hours into its sunny and green game world. No fortified trucks, motorways or helicopter chases since it's set in 10,000BCE, and when you're not in combat it often feels really calm and lovely.

The spear is the MVP of the combat encounters, but I also had a lot of fun stealthing up forts, dropping bee bombs on fools with my owl, picking off lookouts with the bow and arrow then going in to finish the job with my pet sabertooth. Also unlike in the Flintstones, this sabertooth never locked me out of the house. I think we just had a better relationship.

Also, the base building is simple but really satisfying as you build and upgrade the huts for the NPC friends you've found. It's nice coming back to Takkar's village to find a little community with children running around.

Overall really good versions of those outpost-clearing and base building loops and a beaut of a world. Fair warning though, there are a couple of pretty drab wave-based boss fights, one in particular is an absolute stinker and probably the worst and most frustrating encounter I've seen in a Ubisoft game. It's a shame a title about roaming, crafting, surviving, hunting and taming beasts couldn't have a climactic sequence that related to those things.

I mopped up the side quests and saw the credits, but I can see myself going back to chill with my caveman buddies when I fancy spending a bit of time in Oros again.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

After Mega Man X, I was in the mood for more SNES adventure, so I replayed Super Metroid. Loved it again, just so pretty and sounds wonderful. The map feels smaller than my first time, for sure, but it's hard to top. I don't think I ever noticed before how quick Mother Brain is to defeat, but I suppose that's not what the game is really about.
seansthomas

Post by seansthomas »

13th Jan - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
24th Jan - The Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone
28th Jan - Far Lone Sails
10th Feb - Super Mario World
21st Feb - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
7th Mar - The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
18th Apr - Batman - The Telltale Series

9th May - Animal Crossing

I know that you don't really complete games like this but I feel like I've reached a good point on this to reflect.

I've never played an Animal Crossing game before and I'm not sure I would have done were it not for COVID19, but I'm glad I have. It's been a very welcome little world to get lost in during all this and my daughter has loved playing it alongside me, and now taking over the island entirely to do what she pleases.

I found the gentle pace of the opening far more my cup of tea. Picking fruit, the odd bit of fishing, fossil hunting, etc. Now the game has turned into monitoring turnip stockmarkets and needing 200,000+ bells to get more upgrades I'm starting to lose interest and find it more stressful than relaxing, much like I did Stardew Valley.

But I love what we've created. Some nice multi tiered water features, a nature reserve, a beach house hidden in Palm trees, an orchard and a woodland walk between our residents houses.

I have no desire to buy loads of stuff in the shop, make it resemble modern day society or stress about completing the museum, but I can see me dipping in as the seasons change and new additions come along. And hell, 90 hours of family play so far isn't bad for a game I only had a passing interest in...

9th May - Mario + Rabbids: Kingdom Battle - Donkey Kong Adventure DLC

I rarely sell games once I beat them but I did flog Mario + Rabbids the month after it came out as I couldn't see myself replaying it. But I've always fancied playing the DLC expansion. So when it went on offer for £12ish for the game and DLC I decided to buy it once more.

And I'm glad I did. The levels aren't too tough; I feel like I only had to retry 2 or 3 levels tops, but I enjoyed it a ton.

The music is bang on for starters. And I think Donkey Kong melds into the Rabbids universe somewhat better than Mario does.

But it's the new movesets that make it so good to play. Donkey Kong controls in a very different way to everyone else, allowing you to pick up people and objects en route and swing across levels. Kranky Kong is slower and limited in ability to move great distances but armed to the teeth up close.

I had a blast playing through these new levels and it got me excited about the potential of a sequel all over again.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)

Excellent game this. Such a love letter to fans of the series. I enjoyed every minute of it. Excited to do more playthroughs with different characters and try out different modes, and will be playing with retro music next time 8-) It looks like there is plenty of reason to keep going back with unlocks.

Hope it sold / sells well and they get their rewards for resurrecting the franchise so successfully. I love it.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Final Fantasy VII remake

Crikey we need a thread is there a thread?. I'm so happy :D
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

DomsBeard wrote: May 12th, 2020, 9:35 pm Final Fantasy VII remake

Crikey we need a thread is there a thread?. I'm so happy :D
Here you go, brother. Have fun. :)
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

I just finished XIII, the cel-shaded FPS from back in the day. I didn't like it very much. At it's best, it's a serviceable FPS, at it's worst, it's a chore. And I guess they're remaking it? Why? The game was a flop back when it came out and Void Bastards seems to have got the look down for itself.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

03/01 - Disco Elysium (PC)
03/02 - DUSK (PC)
12/02 - Baba is You (PC)
13/02 - Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PSP - via Castlevania: Dracula X)
21/03 - Dying Light (PC)
24/03 - Ori and The Will of the Wisps (PC)
04/04 - DOOM: Eternal (PC)
05/04 - Resident Evil 3 (PC)
10/04 - Tangle Tower (Switch)
13/05 - Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PS Vita)

Wow! Ur, yeah, this game is amazing. The job system takes a great idea from FFV and fully delivers on its promise. It's easily among my favourite tactics games and Final Fantasy games.
Beck

Post by Beck »

March
Pokemon Shield
April
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Persona 5
May
Resident Evil 3 (Remake)
Ace Combat 7
Streets of Rage 4
Animal Crossing
Batman: The Telltale Series Season 2 - I'm not sure what it is with Telltale games that makes me so conflicted with them. I've enjoyed nearly everyone I've played but I never want to start one. Once I get going I'm fine but it seems like a massive chore to get going. Anyway, this is a great game and both me and the wife enjoyed playing through it in a couple of evenings. Hopefully Telltale has some sort of revival because they did make some cracking games.
ColinAlonso

Post by ColinAlonso »

Jan 1 - Wonder Boy in Monster World (Sega Mega Drive Mini)
Jan 5 – FTL: Faster Than Light (PC) (Easy)
Jan 21 – God of War (PS4)
Feb 6 – Into The Breach (Switch) (Normal)
Feb 10 – Wargroove: Double Trouble (Switch)
Feb 15 - Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
Feb 16 - Ristar (Switch)
Apr 4 - Florence (Android)
Apr 8- Resident Evil 2 (2019) (PS4) (Leon - Standard)
Apr 13 - Spider-Man: Turf Wars DLC (PS4)
Apr 14 - Spider-Man: Silver Lining DLC (PS4)
May 12 - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)

As Uncharted games go, it's fine, but the series hasn't done enough since 2 to excite me.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Florence

It was alright?, looking forward to listening to the show as I didn't get it overall though a couple of bits did resonate.
duskvstweak

Post by duskvstweak »

DomsBeard wrote: May 13th, 2020, 10:32 pm Florence

It was alright?, looking forward to listening to the show as I didn't get it overall though a couple of bits did resonate.
Yikes, you better watch out for Sora, Donald and Goofy YOU HEARTLESS.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Max X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
APR - Yoku's Island Express (100%) (Switch)
APR - WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade on PS Vita)
APR - Holedown (Android)
MAY - South Park: The Stick Of Truth (Switch)

Finally managed to finish this! I bought it on PS3, PS4 and eventually Switch. Every time I started it I really enjoyed it but just got distracted. Then it was cheap on Switch a while back and I thought I'd give it one more attempt. Glad I did because it's really a fun game. RPG Lite along the lines of Paper Mario (the combat is virtually identical) and it's genuinely funny throughout (although of course YMMV!)

I'll be keeping a look out for the sequel to be cheap I think as I'm definitely interested in playing it at some point.

Also, I realise this may be a bit too niche these days, but I'd love to see a Beavis and Butthead RPG game given the same love and attention to detail this had.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: May 13th, 2020, 10:32 pm Florence

Yeah that's pretty much how I felt about it last year. I thought it was a decent idea, but could have done with 'more'. Ultimately left feeling it was a bit shallow although it absolutely nailed the melancholic feeling it seemed to be aiming for.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
02/04 - Lucah: Born of a Dream (NG+, Bad Ending)
14/04 - Yakuza 4 Remastered
17/04 - Fable Anniversary
21/04 - Transistor
01/05 - The Last Guardian
11/05 - Mafia III
15/05 - Mini Ninjas

A cute and relaxed game that has some nice touches that show that the people behind it actually put real effort in to making sure it was faithful to its inspiration despite the casual cartoony appearance. Like the various magic spells you can do having relation to real Buddhist meditation practices, the role that tengu play in the game, and how the castle levels are actually laid out like real Japanese castles of the period. Although I suppose it's handy that those real castles are already designed in a way that is pretty similar to modern game design.

As an actual game though, it's kind of middling. While it's technically a collectathon platformer, you don't really do much of either of those things. Instead they are sort of sprinkled in along the way through the levels, along with some light combat with enemies too. All of it is very shallow, and it doesn't really elicit much of a reaction outside of a few frustratingly fiddly bits. The levels themselves are also far too large. There's a of empty space where you're not doing much meaningful aside from just moving forward. It's not terrible by any means overall, but there just isn't really much going on.

I can kind of understand the basic and undemanding nature of the game to an extent though. I remember hearing from an interview with the main person behind this game (whether that was the director, producer, etc. I don't remember) and they said the inspiration to make it came from them having a child. They wanted to be able to show their work to them and play it together. But since this is from the studio that makes the Hitman games, their usual output is far from appropriate for young children, so they decided to make something that would be better for that instead. So seeing this as basically an introduction to games as a whole to a small child, it makes sense. It's not complicated or taxing in any way. It's just meant to be a cute little thing that gets someone acclimated to the basics of games, and provides a simple adventure along the way.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

April 2020:
Mega Man X3, PS1 and Switch
After playing through my old PS1 port of the game (So much better music), I went through an "alternate" playthrough on the Legacy Collection for good measure, in order to see all the bosses. I'd forgotten how much the last stages change depending on your actions in the game. Overall I still have tremendous nostalgia for the game, but its really clear that it could've used more polish; The game has a ton of optional powerups hidden away, but the level design simply doesn't allow them to be put to very interesting use.

Super Mario Odyssey, Switch
I played this over half a year, doing one full lap of the levels each time. First two laps I just picked up whatever moons I came across, last time around I went for full completion. I think this was the ideal way for me to go, as it prevented the game from getting too stale or frustrating - at least until the third lap where only the most obtuse moons were left. I'm not ashamed to say that I resorted to guides to get to the end (and finding the last two purple coins I missed in the levels), as well as finding cheap solutions to the Volleyball and Jump Rope because what the heck, nintendo. In the end I picked up every gameplay-related moon in the game, beat the darkest side of the moon, Bowser again for good measure, and left off pretty satisfied.

Its a bit sad knowing that theres not really any more to do in the game after all this time, but then again I'm not exactly itching to peruse those same few levels yet again.

Well, I can get the full 999 moons if I go back and grind for 7000 coins to buy the 70 last ones, but I really don't wanna do that.

Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze, Switch
Having had a somewhat conflicted relationship with Returns I held out on buying this for quite a while. I was lucky enough to get it at a sale just before the C&R recording, and was pretty much unable to put it down until getting to the end of the secret world. To say it clicked would be an understatement.
I actually thought this was a bit easier than its predecessor; maybe I’ve regained some of my platforming mojo, maybe it was additions like Cranky and an extra hit for the “vehicle” sections (okay not maybe, that helped a lot)… But I actually think the main reason is that my hands are no longer in cramped-up pain from playing the game on my 3DS, where I never found a control scheme I was fully comfortable with. Here, no such problem – I even found myself able to do the dreaded enemy-bounces reliably. My switch-grip has been one of the best investments I've made in a while.

The best thing I can say about the game is that I’ve just picked it up again, intent on collecting all the puzzle pieces and -god help me – playing some of the levels on Hard Mode. Learning that I would actually be able to play as Cranky Kong sealed the deal, and the levels are just that fun.
ReprobateGamer

Post by ReprobateGamer »

Jan - Riverbond Crystal Caves DLC - Xbox One (100%)
15th May - Tacoma - Xbox One (100%)

Having ducked into this game a few nights ago, I decided to return to it.

It's from the creators of Gone Home and is another 1st person narrative explorer game ... IN SPACE!
Sadly, it doesn't work as well. The premise is that you have been sent to the orbiting space station Tacoma to interact with the stations AI and work out what happened to the crew. Set in the 2080's, the future aspect allows for augmented reality flashbacks which make a contrast to similar games in this ilk and you can piece the story together. However, the ending was signposted and whilst some thought has gone into making the station a believable space, I still have no idea what the purpose of the orbiter was. No issues with the voice acting or the sound design

I did prefer it to The Turing Test but both Dear Esther and Gone Home did the walking sim better and honestly I'm glad that this was a game pass game that I didn't have to pay for. Nice to have actually cleared a game from my pile of shame as well!

I do wonder what this game would be like in VR though ... there are possibilities there
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

#11 - Raiden IV: Overkill

So first off, this is a REALLY great game. One of the few 3D shmups that feels "right". I don't really know how to put in words how a good SHMUP makes me feel, because it appeals more to a primal part of my brain; I kind of zone out and let my ship flow between the bullets. I can't stand bullet hell, and this one is not that. It's a very 90s shooter, and I love it. The music's great, the bosses are great, the whole "Overkill" mechanic is really well done...

However, I picked this one up mostly for the trophies, and yeah, no way in hell I'm going to do some of these.

""INCREDIBLE!"
Clear ULTIMATE difficulty with 1 credit.(OVERKILL MODE/No DUAL)"

This has a 0.56% achievement rate. And of course it does. I honestly don't think it's even possible without cheats or something. I challenge any of the pro SHMUP players on here to prove me wrong. And a mere 4.4% of players have even beaten the game on Normal (which isn't really hard to do, honestly?).

But yeah, highly recommend this one. It's great! I had a good time and got a bunch of trophies.

&Iso2020
andthenweplay

Post by andthenweplay »

I finally just today 1 credit completed Gradius V on Very Hard.
OldBailey

Post by OldBailey »

andthenweplay wrote: May 17th, 2020, 3:38 am I finally just today 1 credit completed Gradius V on Very Hard.
Wow, that's incredibly impressive. Nice work! I love this game but have never managed a 1CC on normal difficulty. Also, are you aware that Michiel is streaming it at the moment on Fridays from the C&R twitch channel?