Games Completed 2020

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
mikeleddy83

Re: Games Completed 2020

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Spoiler: show
Jan - Blasphemous
Jan - A Short Hike
Jan - Dear Esther
Jan - Luigi's Mansion 3
Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
Jan - Gorogoa
Feb - Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
Feb - Samurai Shodown (2019)
Feb - SAR: Search and Rescue
Mar - Dragon Age: Origins*
Mar - Double Dragon IV
Mar - FRAMED
Mar - Binary Domain*
Mar - 198X
Mar - Missed messages.
Mar - Final Fantasy Adventure
Apr - Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
Apr - The King of Fighters XIII
Apr - The King of Fighters XIV
Apr - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Apr - World of Horror
Apr - Streets of Rage 4
May - Death Stranding
May - The Dig
May - Secret of Mana (1993)
Jun - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Jun - Battle Circuit
Jun - Doom (1993)*
Jun - Doom II*
Jun - The Last of Us Remastered*

*replayed
Jun - The Outer Worlds
Jun - Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara*
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Diablo 3: The Eternal Collection (Switch)

Another game I almost gave up on and offered up for swapsies, went back to it and realised how wrong I was. So much fun when you get into it and it's much more than the "fantasy clicker" some may describe it as. Finished it last night on Hard (Act V) and am pleased to see there is a lot more for me to dive back into with adventures, rifts etc
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

DomsBeard wrote: June 29th, 2020, 9:42 pm
DomsBeard wrote: June 23rd, 2020, 12:50 pm
DomsBeard wrote: June 18th, 2020, 1:07 pm
DomsBeard wrote: June 16th, 2020, 11:42 pm A Normal Lost Phone

Another one from the itch bundle and was an interesting little puzzle narrative based around photo and number solving of clues. Annoyingly I had to look up a code as dates are entered in the (in my opinion) crackers American way of Month/Day! :lol:
Another Lost Phone: Laura's Story

Played through this one too, I would say the story is better than above but the puzzles are way harder. Again a good narrative number puzzler. I had already bought this on Switch however you cannot play it with the pro controller so ended up playing it on Mac as part of the itch bundle.
Mortal Kombat Aftermath DLC Stadia

An absolute casserole of nonsense but very enjoyable. Think a 90's Saturday morning cartoon mixed with the violence of a 90's horror.

Slight slowdown in places on Stadia (which hasn't happened with the other two fighters Samurai Shodown or Power Rangers).

Well worth picking up if you enjoyed MK11. I would say £32.99 is a bit high for it as an add on if you have the original game, using the Stadia offer I paid £39.99 for the base game and all this which is a sizeable package.

Fujin and Sindel are great additions to the roster. The other two fighters added overall are a mixed bag, Robocop is far too stiff (which I mentioned before makes sense) and Sheeva is alright but not a stand out.

Looking forward to trying the towers with all the DLC characters I have not played as (Terminator, Spawn) and unlocking all the stuff in the Krypt. Plenty left to see and do.

Lot of talk about TLOU2's violence at the moment, this has some interesting shall we say scenes and fatalities as usual.

Finally a nod to Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung who is a moustache twirling delight throughout stealing most scenes he is in.

Bury Me My Love

Didn't really enjoy this to be honest, there were a couple of stand out sections which made me imagine how horrible the process must be but I felt like I spent the game with my wife ignoring my advice which I have plenty of in my real life ;). No checkpointing to go back means I'll never go back to it either.

Maybe I'm just cold hearted but I preferred the two lost phone games.
Ah I noticed you playing this the other night - I've got it ready to play before the show, too. Did it take long to get through? I suppose at least it only cost a few pence!
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

The Last Of Us 2

From a narrative perspective, this is easily up there with RDR2 as the greatest cinematic storytelling I've ever experienced in a game. I feel it's a more complex and nuanced tale than RDR2, in fact, albeit the dissonant elements mean that it doesn't quite land as definitively. That's a strength, though, from a different perspective.

In terms of the core stealth action combat, I can't remember the last game I played where I felt so gripped, so afraid and so satisfied. I actually felt a little depressed and shell-shocked after a couple of sessions, the intensity and bleakness was so much to take. I know that sounds terrible but a) it's emphatically in service to the narrative and b) it's incredibly impactful. It is extraordinarily violent, though, and it will both exhilarate and terrify. Caveat emptor.

Technically, this is the best looking game I've ever played. It's a staggering achievement, leaps and bounds ahead of anything I've seen elsewhere in so many areas. Before FF7R, which is extremely visually uneven, I'd felt that graphics had plateaued. This showed me the future. The facial animation, motion capture and acting are utterly peerless.
KSubzero1000

Post by KSubzero1000 »

Stanshall wrote: June 30th, 2020, 7:58 pm The Last Of Us 2
I finished it earlier as well and was also left mightily impressed. More thoughts to follow but it's already up there as one of the best games of the generation for me. Who would have thought, huh? Always nice when the sequel to a long-forgotten classic lives up to expectations.

:lol:
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Alex79uk wrote: June 30th, 2020, 5:32 pm

Played through this one too, I would say the story is better than above but the puzzles are way harder. Again a good narrative number puzzler. I had already bought this on Switch however you cannot play it with the pro controller so ended up playing it on Mac as part of the itch bundle.

An absolute casserole of nonsense but very enjoyable. Think a 90's Saturday morning cartoon mixed with the violence of a 90's horror.

Slight slowdown in places on Stadia (which hasn't happened with the other two fighters Samurai Shodown or Power Rangers).

Well worth picking up if you enjoyed MK11. I would say £32.99 is a bit high for it as an add on if you have the original game, using the Stadia offer I paid £39.99 for the base game and all this which is a sizeable package.

Fujin and Sindel are great additions to the roster. The other two fighters added overall are a mixed bag, Robocop is far too stiff (which I mentioned before makes sense) and Sheeva is alright but not a stand out.

Looking forward to trying the towers with all the DLC characters I have not played as (Terminator, Spawn) and unlocking all the stuff in the Krypt. Plenty left to see and do.

Lot of talk about TLOU2's violence at the moment, this has some interesting shall we say scenes and fatalities as usual.

Finally a nod to Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung who is a moustache twirling delight throughout stealing most scenes he is in.

Bury Me My Love

Didn't really enjoy this to be honest, there were a couple of stand out sections which made me imagine how horrible the process must be but I felt like I spent the game with my wife ignoring my advice which I have plenty of in my real life ;). No checkpointing to go back means I'll never go back to it either.

Ah I noticed you playing this the other night - I've got it ready to play before the show, too. Did it take long to get through? I suppose at least it only cost a few pence!
Couple of hours I think?. I picked it up last year for £1 I think before it appeared on the show list.
Beck

Post by Beck »

March
Pokemon Shield
April
Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
Persona 5
May
Resident Evil 3 (Remake)
Ace Combat 7
Streets of Rage 4
Animal Crossing
Batman: The Telltale Series Season 2
June
Arkham Knight + DLC

June

CoD : WW2
Marvel's Spider Man + Plat
The Last of Us Remastered
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

3 January: Untitled Goose Game (Xbox One)
13 January: Punch-Out! (NES on Switch)
16 January: Spyro the Dragon (PS4)
19 January: Mega Man X (SNES Classic Mini)
26 January: The Ninja Saviors (Switch)
31 January: Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island (SNES on Switch)
3 February: Bulletstorm (PS4)
5 February: Koral (Switch)
7 February: Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES on Switch)
9 February: Super Mario Bros. (NES on Switch)
10 February: Super Cycle (C64 Mini)
16 February: Bioshock (PS4)
18 February: Castlevania - Circle of the Moon (Game Boy Advance)
19 February: Bloodstained - Ritual of the Night (Xbox One)
25 February: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Game Boy Advance)
27 February: Ninja Gaiden Shadow (Game Boy)
29 February: Ghostbusters (C64 Mini)
4 March: Destruction Derby 2 (PlayStation Classic)
14 March: Doom 3 (Switch)
18 March: Anodyne (Switch)
30 March: Agent X (ZX Spectrum)
31 March: Agent X II (ZX Spectrum)
4 April: Death Star Interceptor (ZX Spectrum)
11 April: Doom 64 (Switch)
13 April: Doom (Switch)
26 April: Doom II (Switch)
27 April: Kid Dracula (Game Boy)
30 April: Saboteur 2 - Avenging Angel (Switch)
3 May: TimeSplitters (PS2)
5 May: TimeSplitters 2 (PS2)
6 May: Streets of Rage 4 (Switch)
7 May: Moley Christmas (ZX Spectrum)
14 May: Streets of Rage 2 (Mega Drive Mini)
18 May: Daley Thompson’s Decathlon (ZX Spectrum)
26 May: Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare (Game Boy Colour)
31 May: Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (PS4)
12 June: TMNT (GBA)
13 June: Call of Duty WWII (PS4)
14 June: American Election (Mac)
14 June: Wampus (NES)
16 June: I’m Bored, Let’s Explore (Ruins) (Mac)
16 June: Masks (Mac)
18 June: Intrepid (Mac)
23 June: In Other Waters (Switch)
26 June: Rik the Roadie (ZX Spectrum)
28 June: Milk Race (ZX Spectrum)
30 June: Akumajo Dracula (Super Castlevania IV) (Switch)
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Finished Twin Breaker on Vita, the brick breaker game I talked about in the 'Whatcha Been Playing' thread. It was enjoyable with some interesting mechanics such as controlling 4 padels at the same time, 2 on the side of the screen and 2 on the bottom. Had some cool bosses and power ups, only complaint would be that some stages seem to rely more on luck than skill to get the high scores. I think I will go for the Platinum. Highly recommended if you're craving a brick breaker.
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

03/01 - Disco Elysium (PC)
03/02 - DUSK (PC)
12/02 - Baba is You (PC)
13/02 - Castlevania: Rondo of Blood (PSP - via Castlevania: Dracula X)
21/03 - Dying Light (PC)
24/03 - Ori and The Will of the Wisps (PC)
04/04 - DOOM: Eternal (PC)
05/04 - Resident Evil 3 (PC)
10/04 - Tangle Tower (Switch)
13/05 - Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions (PS Vita)
23/05 - Mega Man X2 (Switch)
14/06 - Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Switch)
03/07 - The Last of Us Part 2 (PS4)

Yeaaaahhh, this is pretty great.
Angry_Kurt

Post by Angry_Kurt »

Just completed ‪Guacamelee 2‬
‪Brilliant metroidvania where gameplay is king and bye Jove is it fun to play, both the combat and platforming is spot on mechanically. It’s not perfect due to quite a large difficulty spike at the end and humour that is take it or leave it.‬
‪9/10‬
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Jan - Blasphemous
Jan - A Short Hike
Jan - Dear Esther
Jan - Luigi's Mansion 3
Jan - Sayonara Wild Hearts
Jan - Gorogoa
Feb - Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
Feb - Samurai Shodown (2019)
Feb - SAR: Search and Rescue
Mar - Dragon Age: Origins*
Mar - Double Dragon IV
Mar - FRAMED
Mar - Binary Domain*
Mar - 198X
Mar - Missed messages.
Mar - Final Fantasy Adventure
Apr - Kingdom Hearts Final Mix
Apr - The King of Fighters XIII
Apr - The King of Fighters XIV
Apr - Animal Crossing: New Horizons
Apr - World of Horror
Apr - Streets of Rage 4
May - Death Stranding
May - The Dig
May - Secret of Mana (1993)
Jun - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Jun - Battle Circuit
Jun - Doom (1993)*
Jun - Doom II*
Jun - The Last of Us Remastered*
Jun - The Outer Worlds

*replayed
Jul - The Last of Us Part 2
Jul - Blazing Chrome
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Alex79uk wrote: JAN - Titanfall 2 (PS4)
JAN - Pinball FX3: Fish Tales (Switch)
FEB - Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4)
FEB - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy (PS4)
FEB - Mafia 3 (PS4)
MAR - Mega Man X (Switch)
MAR - Assassin's Creed III Remastered (Switch)
MAR - Control (PS4)
MAR - Shadow Of The Tomb Raider (PS4)
APR - Yoku's Island Express (100%) (Switch)
APR - WWF Wrestlefest (Arcade on PS Vita)
APR - Holedown (Android)
MAY - South Park: The Stick Of Truth (Switch)
JUN - Animal Crossing: New Horizons (Switch)
JUN - Golf Story (Switch)
JUL - Days Gone (PS4)

This is the best big budget game I've played since Red Dead Redemption 2. I absolutely loved it. I was so immersed in the world and with the characters, I loved the story, the riding, the combat, the missions, the hoards, the crafting, it was just amazing. Deacon, as a character, really grew on me as I played the game, I think he's one of my favorite protagonists of recent years. I hope this game sold well because they really deserve it, and I don't understand how it wasn't more talked about. As I mentioned before, everyone I know who played it really enjoyed it (and I'm about to listen to the CaR show, so I may yet be proved wrong!) but this was just a class act from start to finish. I'm sick of zombie games, I feel like we've been totally over saturated with them, but this did something different, and it did it incredibly well. I'll never stop recommending this game, I just thought it was brilliant.
andthenweplay

Post by andthenweplay »

mikeleddy83 wrote: June 30th, 2020, 12:44 am
Jun - The Outer Worlds
How good is Dungeons & Dragon's Shadows Over Mystara*? I adore Dragon's Crown so much and have been wondering if this game is worth trying out
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

andthenweplay wrote: July 5th, 2020, 1:30 am
mikeleddy83 wrote: June 30th, 2020, 12:44 am
Jun - The Outer Worlds
How good is Dungeons & Dragon's Shadows Over Mystara*? I adore Dragon's Crown so much and have been wondering if this game is worth trying out
Oh for sure. I'm pretty sure you're aware of the Vanillaware presidents lineage (George Kamitani) and yeah Dragons Crown is very similar.. I absolutely loved it years ago though it was a tad longer than I expected.

Here's a cool little quote from him about Dragons Crown:

"The idea for the game itself had its start around 13 years ago," Kamitani told Famitsu magazine in an interview published this week. "Dragon's Crown was concepted immediately after Princess Crown -- it was originally a Dreamcast project. I worked on [Capcom's] Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom before that, and ever since then, I've always been hoping I could work on something like that again. It was hard to convince a publisher to greenlight the idea, but I rewrote the project plan after finishing up Muramasa and finally managed to get Ignition to sign on with the game."

Try to get the double pack as it's almost always cheap and the only disappointment you will have is the double edged sword that each is only about an hour long to complete compared to the 20 odd of dragons crown but being heavily replayable that's not a downside in any sense. Play Tower of Doom first if you can as it's a little more dated and harder to play after Shadow of Mystara. You'll be in for a treat!
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

DomsBeard wrote: June 16th, 2020, 11:42 pm A Normal Lost Phone

Another one from the itch bundle and was an interesting little puzzle narrative based around photo and number solving of clues. Annoyingly I had to look up a code as dates are entered in the (in my opinion) crackers American way of Month/Day! :lol:

Bury Me My Love

The Last Of Us Part 2

All done and dusted. Will go into more detail in the thread.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

4 - 7 Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)

Me and my boy finally gathered those final 5 stars and went on to
beat Meowser.
What a cool finale!
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

03/01 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2005)
08/01 - Need for Speed: Carbon
12/01 - Devil May Cry (Normal)
15/01 - Devil May Cry 2 (Normal/Dante)
26/01 - Monster Hunter World: Iceborne
08/02 - Dishonored
18/02 - Deus Ex: The Fall
23/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Dante/Free Style)
26/02 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Normal/Vergil)
28/02 - Horizon Chase Turbo
28/02 - EQQO
02/03 - Yakuza 3 Remastered
03/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Hard/Dante/Free Style)
10/03 - Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition (Very Hard/Dante/Free Style)
13/03 - Mirror's Edge Catalyst
19/03 - A Short Hike
01/04 - Doom Eternal
02/04 - Lucah: Born of a Dream (NG+, Bad Ending)
14/04 - Yakuza 4 Remastered
17/04 - Fable Anniversary
21/04 - Transistor
01/05 - The Last Guardian
11/05 - Mafia III
15/05 - Mini Ninjas
17/05 - Burnout Paradise Remastered (Elite License)
20/05 - The Gardens Between
25/05 - The Wonderful 101 Remastered (Normal)
27/05 - El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
06/06 - Marlow Briggs and the Mask of Death
14/06 - OneShot
16/06 - OneShot (NG+)
22/06 - The World Begins With You
27/06 - Titanfall 2
10/07 - Vane

I've had my eye on this game for a very long time. I remember it was cryptically announced many years ago, according to some Googling around 2014, drawing my attention for its striking visual style and the involvement of an ex-Team Ico developer on board. Then through many years it got stuck in development hell, and I believe the Ico dev left, but it eventually saw the light of day. But when it did finally come out last year, reviews were rather middling on it, so at the time I passed on it. So now I finally picked it up in the Steam sale.

My experience with it was kind of mixed, so I can see why it got the reception it did. On the one hand it's got some truly amazing visuals, with some parts having you flying around a vast open desert with dramatic vistas, and others in some kind of apocalyptic wasteland where an endless storm rages and tears away at the remaining shreds of strange metallic towers. During these latter sections, it does this thing where the environment warps and shifts around you as you push a strange golden orb through the levels, as if it has some kind of time control power that is able to temporarily restore the damage done by the furious tempest. The soundtrack to go with it is fantastic too. It's an uncharacteristically synth soundtrack, full of foreboding droning tones, occasionally punctuated by thumping bass. It sounds like something that could come from a sort of dark hybrid of Tron and Blade Runner. A very unusual sound to hear out of this sort of game, that one usually associates with the stylings of Austin Wintory or Ko Otani. So at times it's very atmospheric, with a really impressive surreal aesthetic that is pretty unique.

But the game feels rather awkward and obtuse to play at times, and not in a good way. Even though objectives are very simple, and conceptually repeat several times through the game, they still feel very poorly communicated. It's not good at giving you direction at all. Telling you what you need to do to progress, what direction you need to go in, what abilities you have and what they are for. Even at the very first playable section of the game I was stumped and it took me a while to work out what to do. So there were a lot of occasions where I felt like I was walking around in circles for way too long just having no clue what the game wanted from me, even when the solution was very uncomplicated. The game is pretty short too, about three hours. But I'm sure a lot of that could be cut down if I wasn't just at a loss at what the game wanted from me a lot of the time.

So while I do appreciate the fantastic and unique art direction, the problems did prevent this from being a standout game when it comes to this sort of arty adventure fare. Good, but not great.
Indiana747

Post by Indiana747 »

(Jan) Far Cry New Dawn - XB1X.
(Jan) Darksiders 3 - XB1X.
(Feb) Borderlands 3 - XB1X.
(Mar) Remnant: From the Ashes - XB1X.
(Mar) Farming Simulator 17 - XB1X.
(Mar) Tracks-The Train Set Game - XB1X.
(Apr) Vanquish Remastered - XB1X.
(Apr) Deliver Us The Moon - XB1X.
(May) DOOM Eternal - XB1X.