Mario Kart DS

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Mario Kart DS

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions of Mario Kart DS for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
HaloFandango

Re: 445: Mario Kart DS

Post by HaloFandango »

Mario Kart DS is a very enjoyable game in the series, tracks like Rainbow Road, Tick Tock Clock and Bowser's Castle were stand-outs for me. When I worked at Nintendo of Europe from 2012 to 2013, I usually had multiplayer shenanigans on Mario Kart 7 at lunchtimes with other staff members, but I would occasionally join in with another group of die-hard Mario Kart DS fans playing multiplayer and needless to say, I got slaughtered. Still, the multiplayer on this game was awesome fun and I'd happily give it another go now.

THREE WORD REVIEW: Best DS Racer
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I might go so far as to say that Mario Kart DS is my favorite in the series. The tracks hadn't yet quite reached the gimmicky trickery of later games, and the focus was much more on the skill of racing rather than blind luck. But the most important thing about this game was that it was the first in the series to allow online play. This is the game I bought in to wireless internet for. I remember ordering the official Nintendo WiFi dongle and having a right game setting it up, but once it was all working I, and a group of others from a forum I posted on at the time, spent weeks every evening playing massive Mario Kart sessions. It was a real sense of community and I loved every minute of it.

I kind of drifted away from the series after this game, as each subsequent release seemed to move a little further away from what I loved about the game, simple tracks and purer racing. I look back on this game with a lot of fond memories.

THREE WORD REVIEW: My personal favorite.
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I don't love this game exactly, but this is the very first game I ever played online, and with wifi, no less. We didn't have internet in my house at this time, so I went to mcdonalds specifically because they advertised free wifi. It was finicky to get online, the original DS wifi was kinda clunky, but actually getting online and racing against people from across the world, indicated by the little national flags by usernames, was insanely cool.
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

Mario Kart DS is the single most Mario Kart I’ve ever played, and that’s down to one thing: The mission mode. I’m not the kind of guy who will pick up a game to “play a round” for its own sake, but give me a list of arbitrary challenges to chew through and I’m a happy man. And so, where the decision to have everything unlocked from the start has made me forego Mario Kart 8 DX entirely, the robust single-player content and portable nature meant that I kept booting up Mario Kart DS during the suddenly now more frequent work breaks, or daily commute. In fact, I was I was so engrossed in this game that during one of said commutes I was flung backwards onto my back because the bus took a sudden stop, and I was too busy having a boss battle with a giant bob-omb to have properly secured myself. Luckily both the DS and myself survived without any damages, and the incident cemented this as my second favorite Kart racer. And gave me a lasting lesson in public transport safety.