Hangover/Sickness Gaming

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
The Sonic Mole

Hangover/Sickness Gaming

Post by The Sonic Mole »

I was talking to a friend the other day about video games that are ideal for when you're nursing a hangover or feeling under the weather. After a bit of thought I decided that my favourite hangover games are Shenmue, Harvest Moon/Rune Factory and Endless Ocean 2. There's something quite therapeutic about their pacing and atmosphere.

So what are everybody else's favourite games for when they're feeling delicate?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Hangover/Sickness Gaming

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ooh, nice thread. You're best served by something gentle on the brain and eyes - F-Zero GX perhaps?

Sheriously though folks, handheld gaming is good as you can recline on side or back.
A bit of grinding on an RPG perhaps, or a TBS like FF Tactics or similar.
Ooh I know, how a bout a classic point and click adventure? Broken Sword or Indiana Jones & the Fate of Atlantis.
:D
RoboticMonk3y

Post by RoboticMonk3y »

I've been alcohol free for almost a year now, but I used to enjoy either watching Red Dead Redemption landscapes roll past, or peggle, there's something deeply satisfying about making dots disappear and getting an audio pat on the head with 'ode to joy'
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Skyrim's always good for me, I tend to play Skyrim when hungover or bored of gaming (I know that doesn't make sense).
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

DomsBeard wrote:bored of gaming
Does not compute.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

For bored of gaming read either ''annoying boss battle'' or ''heavy defeat with an ultra combo finish on SSFIV''
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Ha ha, I know those.
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Solar 2 works pretty well, thanks to the lovely chilled soundtrack.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Here are some more of my 'feeling delicate' gaming session suggestions:

Football Manager on your blanket-covered knees with a laptop (or failing that FM Handheld on iPad/PSP)

Animal Crossing. Design a pattern or dig some holes, chat to a neighbour or just go fishing

Any decent golf game. A gentle, rolling course in calm, sunny conditions

Professor Layton - Level-5 tell you a nice story as you puzzle away at your own pace

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective - get immersed in the crazy world of Sissel (unless we spoiled it for you on the podcast)!

Viva Pinata. Spend some happy hours breeding and gardening without the exertion these activities usually require

Sid Meier's Civilization. So much time will pass so quickly you'll be better before you know what's happening
PressEscToExit

Post by PressEscToExit »

I've some pretty fond memories of hours and hours grinding JRPGs with my head all swimmy with cold/flu, especially the PS1 Final Fantasies and Dragon Quest VIII. Running in circles in a field then mashing X until the enemies go away is all I can usually manage. In fact, I'm pretty sure Dragon Quest had an auto-battle thing that saved me even pressing a button.

Endless Ocean is a great call too, minimal input required. Just a wii remote sticking out of a duvet.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Aye, minimal interface games are good. Mr Driller (left, right and one button) or Super Monkey Ball (just one analogue stick) for example.
Mr Nicey

Post by Mr Nicey »

I can suggest one game NOT to play with a hangover. I tried finishing off some mirrors edge one morning when I was feeling particularly bad and ended up sat for 45mins in the toilet trying to stop my head from spinning - first person camera perspective & front rolls don't do you any good is all I will say!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

ratsoalbion wrote:Any decent golf game. A gentle, rolling course in calm, sunny conditions
Good shout, it's been ages since I got lost in a good golf game. I think the most recent Tiger I own is 2006!
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

I can honestly say I've never had a hangover in my entire life. Granted, I don't drink anymore and haven't for 7 years. But even when I did "back in the day", I always woke up the next day 100%.
As for gaming when I'm sick, I hardly ever am. I get colds and stuff, but it's rare I get genuinely "can't go to work" ill. When I am like that, it's the one time I don't play anything really.

I imagine Space Giraffe woul be a great hangover cure ;)
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

I once got knocked off my bike by an idiot who didnt indicate to turn towards LB train stations. I cried and played super mario 64 all day.

Ah, school days.
Craymen Edge

Post by Craymen Edge »

It's probably been over a decade since I had a proper hangover, so I don't have games for that occasion.

When sick, I normally don't want to play anything too intensive, or something easy to dip in and out of. A Point & Click game, or something engrossing & creative like a nice Minecraft project, or painting cars in Forza fit the bill quite nicely.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Football Manager is the best when hungover.
Football Manager is also the best when not hungover.
W1DGET

Post by W1DGET »

NokkonWud wrote:Football Manager is the best when hungover.
Football Manager is also the best when not hungover.
You play Football Manager even when your playing another game, memories of you playing Halo Reach and FM at the same time lol
The Sonic Mole

Post by The Sonic Mole »

PressEscToExit wrote:I've some pretty fond memories of hours and hours grinding JRPGs with my head all swimmy with cold/flu, especially the PS1 Final Fantasies and Dragon Quest VIII. Running in circles in a field then mashing X until the enemies go away is all I can usually manage. In fact, I'm pretty sure Dragon Quest had an auto-battle thing that saved me even pressing a button.

Endless Ocean is a great call too, minimal input required. Just a wii remote sticking out of a duvet.
Definitely agree with you on grinding JRPGS. Very therapeutic when less than 100%!