Resident Evil 2 (2019)

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
JaySevenZero
Admin

Resident Evil 2 (2019)

Post by JaySevenZero »

Here's where you can contribute your thoughts and opinions of Resident Evil 2 (2019) for potential inclusion in the forthcoming podcast.

A friendly reminder to all that where feedback for the podcast is concerned, we love it - but self-editing (brevity) is appreciated. We do want to include a breadth of opinions where appropriate, but no-one wants a discussion podcast that’s mainly reading. Better to save yourself time and cut to the chase if you can.
MJLeatham

Re: 403: Resident Evil 2 (2019)

Post by MJLeatham »

Well where do I start, original resident evil 2 is my all time favourate game from this series, so I was immensely excited to see the "we do it" video from capcom.

Obviously 20 years of technical advancement meant that the fundamental aspects of the original RE series such as fixed camera, prerendered backgrounds and tank controls were gone, replaced with a full 3D world and 3rd person camera. What a massive improvement this turned out to be, the change in style managed to give a whole new dimension to the atmosphere, such beautifully crafted environments lends to the sense of horror experienced while playing this game and the lack of ammo especially on the first play through ramps up the tension even more making you actively creep around and carefully look through doors luring zombies around so they can be dodged rather than shot at.

I think the choice to have Mr X be ever present after certain points in the game was both good and bad, the original saw him burst sometimes literally into the scene in set pieces but now him following you room to room adds a whole new dimension to environmental management further increasing the tension, especially if you have left plenty of zombies lurching around the RPD, for the bad aspect of this design choice see the computer game shows Mat Murray's streams of RE2.

This is easily my game of 2019, it managed to grab my 1998 feelings of nostalgia and pull it willingly into 2019 and quickly became my all time favourate resident evil game. It seemed like the gift that kept on giving by making speed running the game fun due to unlockables weapons and modes as well as all the available concept art and character models to collect and just when you thought it couldn't get any better it allows you to have the original 1998 soundtrack, which is one of my favourite soundtracks ever.

If I had to level some criticism at it then it would have to be that the 2 characters stories didn't seem to crossover as much as the original and that the 2nd scenarios didn't differ all that much from the 1st. My biggest issue overall was the zombies, I found that they seemed to have adamantium skulls as nailing them in the head 5 or 6 times with the pistol often only succeeded in giving them a face peel making them look like they had faceplanted a trough of jam but wouldn't necessarily stop them from trying to take a chunk out of your neck. This issue disappeared however when Leon gets the upgraded shotgun.

Overall this game deserves the sale figures it got, out selling the original (not including downloads either) the level of detail and work that has gone in to this game is astounding and has hopefully paved to way for more remakes that like remake 1 on the game cube become the quintessential version of the game (in my opinion anyway) and here is hoping the RE3 remake keeps that trend alive. If any other studios want to remake much loved 90's titles into roaring 20's remakes (silent Hill I'm looking at you) capcoms RE2 remake should be put on a plinth as an example of how it should be done.

Matt
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

The remake of the original Resident Evil is my second favourite game of all time, and teenaged me believed, at the time, that the Gamecube release of Resident Evil 2 was also a remake. It was not.

I always *liked* Resident Evil 2, having played it now on N64, Gamecube and PS1. But RE2 never really met the high bar set by the first REmake. In some ways, the remake of RE2 doesn't meet that bar either... But it comes darn close. What thoroughly impresses me about RE2make is how they've ostensibly taken some raw concepts and imagery of the original, but completely reworked it to fit a contemporary game. The gameplay loop here feels great, and it's done a fantastic job of combining the choreographed horror and exploration of the old Resident Evil game with the tight action gameplay of RE4. It's a great balance. But massive kudos to the creators of this remake for really studying the original and elaborating upon it. It's an impressive masterwork in that regard.

I don't have many powerful words for this game, because it doesn't have a lot to say. If Resident Evil 2002 is a gothic, deliberately paced puzzlebox with an ethereal energy to it, I can only similarly describe Resident Evil 2 2019 as "Leon and Claire's Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day." It's an outstanding work of action horror, but both it and the 1998 original sort of lack the somber contemplation of what I like in horror. Don't take my reception to be mixed - not at all. This game is dang fantastic. But it's kinda like going to the ice cream shop for a very specific flavour, only to find it's out of stock. Like, yeah, Moose Tracks is great, amazing, worth the asking price. But I really wanted Tiger Tail...
Nupraptor

Post by Nupraptor »

This is wonderful. The original Resi 2 is an all time favourite of mine and was the first Resi that I played. This game gave me the same feeling to play as the original did back in the day, but brought bang up to modern standards. I loved the increased role of Mr X as he relentlessly pursues you through the game. The original Mr X was a real videogame landmark for me. It was the first time that I had encountered a video game enemy who seemed to be able to ignore the conventional rules for the other enemies in the game and pursue you from room to room, even smashing through walls in the process. The new Mr X, of course can't have quite the same impact of novelty, but he still does his ancestor justice.
Stick on the original music and effects and this is an absolute treat for fans of the original Resi 2 and newcomers alike.
Resident. Evil. Twooo. Welcome back to the world of survival horror.
Senorb123

Post by Senorb123 »

I never got through the original RE 2. The game was so tense and scary to me at the age of 13 that I couldn't get very far into the game. Running through the zombie infested streets right bought on enough stress to give me a stomach ache and resulted in me hiding the game and case in my closet so I couldn't see it.

Starting Resident Evil 2 remake bought back all that tense stomach turning anxiety I felt when I was 13. I was able to muscle through these feelings and dive into this game. I can't say enough good things about this game. That was the best looking cheeseburger in any video game ever.

My 1st playthrough was slow going as I searched and explored every inch of this beautiful game. After taking 15 hours to finish my first playthrough of Leon A I immediately jumped into the next scenario. I did not want to be out of the RE world. This was the only game I played for nearly two months. I jumped from scenario to scenario until I got that precious S+ rank all the way across.

The game controls great. The pace of the story progresses at an almost perfect pace. This was the most useful map I've ever seen in a video game. The enemy encounters were hard but never overwhelming to the point of being unfair. The boss fights were just right. The grotesque Birkin transforming and following you from location to location, to the clean cut daper Mr. X stalking you from room to room were just perfect.

The only thing that bothered me about this game was the inconsistency of the storylines. It didn't make sense to me that I had to find the medallions through every time. The A and B scenarios were too similar to me.

That being said RE 2 remake was the best game I played in 2019. The story, the environment, the acting, were all top notch to me. I loved it. It will be a game that I play probably every Halloween with my boys. Here's hoping RE 3 remake is just as entertaining. I can't wait.
stvnorman

Re: Our next podcast recording (25.1.20) - 403: Resident Evil 2 (2019)

Post by stvnorman »

I played this almost immediately after finishing the original Resident Evil Remaster on PS4 - a game I bought day one decades ago on the original Playstation but barely ever scratched the surface of. Its old-school stylings had definitely outstayed their welcome by the end, but only heightened my appreciation for this full on remake of its sequel (also a barely-played day one purchase many moons ago).

I’d loved the 30-minute one-shot demo before release, and the full game didn’t disappoint - looks great, sounds great, and together with the brain-challenging narrative quickly builds up this incredible horror atmosphere and tension that just gets worse (in a good way)... Especially when that big dude starts following you about. It doesn’t control like a 90’s nightmare anymore either!
BadgerCatcher

Post by BadgerCatcher »

I adored this game. It gave me a similar feeling to playing DOOM 2016 - where it was the perfect marriage of nostalgia and the pure joy of playing a great FEELING videogame! Free of all the checklists of modern games. It just feels condensed and "pure" - even though I realise that's probably just the nostalgia talking. I'd way rather manage a limited inventory than manage my patience during the 100th fetch quest for another random NPC.
What really blew me away though was the zombie design. These are just the best zombies to ever grace a screen. If they had included a mode where I could just walk around a large room (with no time limit) populated with a few of these shambling wonders - I could just shoot and experiment with them for hours on end! They are horrifically GORGEOUS.
Nyx-Fontana

Post by Nyx-Fontana »

Right off the bat i have to give my utmost praise to Capcom for the graphics and atmosphere they managed to convey with this game. From the wet slickness of objects and characters when you go out into the rain, to the design of the locations themselves, it seems like everything was crafted deliberately to be as authentic as possible. The Police station in particular is simply striking in terms of how it looks and in its goofy level design that incorporates secret keys and passage ways that you uncover throughout the game. Out of all the environments you visit in the game, it was definitely my favorite to explore and get scared in. On the other side of the spectrum i hated exploring the sewers because...well...they were the sewers. They were dark, grimy, and disgusting with creatures that were more terrifying than anything else i saw throughout the game, exactly how the sewers should be.

Gameplay wise I was surprised at how difficult i found the game to be, though that could be because of how i played the game at first. My approach tended to involve aiming for a zombie's head and trying to take them out completely wherever i went. Don't be tempted by this, reason being that each zombie takes a variable amount of bullets to the head and their movement can be quite hard to read at times. It wasnt until later in the game that i found out that you are better off knee capping them and avoiding them, using your ammo only when you are cornered or if an enemy is unavoidably in your way to your destination. Even with my rude awakening though i had a blast tepidly peeking over each corner to see what terror lay in wait for me. I enjoyed the puzzles as well, some might call them really simple but for me they incorporated just the right amount of investigation, memorization, and thinking.

In terms of story i played Claire A-Leon B, and between the two i found myself drawn a lot more to Claire's story than Leon's which i was surprised by. I feel like Claire's story hits more emotional beats due to the dynamic between Claire and Sherry, and is aided by the performance of Claire's voice actress, Stephanie Panisello. You could feel the desperation within Claire as she tries to do the right thing and get this little girl to safety no matter what, not to mention the terrifying section where you play as Sherry herself. Leon's story on the other hand felt a bit...flat, it was still fun play through but not quite as compelling in my opinion. That being said the 'True Ending' cutscene and the 90's grunge metal like ending song felt oddly fitting for Leon's campaign

Three Word Review:
I'm Sorry, Marvin
Pconpi

Post by Pconpi »

I downloaded Resident Evil 2 without ever having played the original and only having played Resident Evil 4 in the series. I’m not drawn to horror but really enjoyed my play through and had a hard time putting it down especially early on exploring the Police Station. I played Leon A, Claire B.

Sound design: Never have footsteps been so fear inducing! Hearing the Tyrant’s muffled feet rapidly approaching instantly elevated my heart rate. Then I would hear the thump of a door swinging open and the footsteps were not muffled anymore but clear and crisp and the “beeeewwwww” of his theme song would kick in. I would frantically look for a way out and the dread of not seeing an exit route as the footsteps got louder and closer induced all sorts of hormones from my fight or flight system to pump through my body. I was impressed with how much the sounds in the game shaped my play and by how much they terrified me.

Police Station: I suspended my belief of the realism of the layout (and that it was once a museum) and enjoyed the layered evolution of progressing through the Police Station and by the end it was cemented in my brain as an iconic location in gaming. Having not played many horror games, I reflected on how my biological reactions to fear during the game imprinted more vivid memories of each room and especially memorable scares. The stormy hallway by the S.T.A.R.S Office where I first encountered a Licker is not easily forgotten. As my brain was quickly memorizing routes, areas where zombies were dead or alive, and item box locations the introduction of more zombies, lickers, and Mr. X kept each backtrack fresh and anxiety inducing. I’m curious if the Sewers and Lab are not as memorable to me because they are just not as well designed, or because I was more powered up, desensitized to the zombie scares, and just better at the game that the fear wasn’t there as much to imprint it.

Licker: Being short on nightmare material my dreams appreciated the chilling sight of my flashlight illuminating a licker on the ceiling. The fact that the game play encourages you, against your instincts, to slowly walk past them allows you to fully digest how grotesque they are. I still haven’t conquered my instinct to run and have been taken down multiple times frantically trying to leave the hallway I was ambushed in. The glisten of what looks to be a creature that was just flayed with a prominent brain indicating intelligence was the most terrifying and memorable foe in the game.

Playing Resident Evil 2 (2019) piqued my interest in more survival horror and the Resident Evil series in general. I’ve heard 7 is worth a look and would be on board for the Resident Evil 3 remake.
FemalePheromones

Post by FemalePheromones »

As I'm sure everyone has already praised the best parts of the game I thought I'd just get in with the parts of the game that bothered me.

As a big fan of the original RE2 I always loved that you had to play both A and B scenarios to get the full scope of the story. You would fight Birkin once and then the next time he looks massively different and it isn't explained until you play the B scenario and realise the second character actually fought him inbetween those original fights and you see him change forms. This was a great way of making a game and I really expected to stick to this and they didn't. Both A and B (1st and 2nd in this one) characters have the exact same first 3 fights with Birkin with the only difference being the B character being the only one to fight G4 and G5 while the A character has the final fight with the tyrant.

Speaking of the tyrant, in the original he only showed up in the B scenario which meant you had quite a different experience to the A scenario. With this one, however, the tyrant appears in both campaigns. I can see why they did this because the tyrant is much more of a presence than he was in the original game and they did change things up slightly in the B scenario by having him show up early and in a different place but I still think he would have been better saved for only the B scenario.

Onto some of the other things with the timeline that just don't add up. In A when you first meet the other character by the gate after sneaking around the police station for what seems like ages I was excited to see what the other player got up to during this time in the B scenario. But it doesn't happen. In B you get to the police station right in 30 seconds but the other character has already been there an hour. I genuinely felt robbed the first time. Next we have Birkin killing the tyrant. This would have been quite impactful and given you a new level of fear for Birkin had they not shown it in the first trailer, but even then it makes no sense when the tyrant had already shown up for Leon in the lab. A similar thing happens with Annette, I'm pretty sure she dies in every scenario. How does that make sense?

I know the original had some things that didn't make sense like both players separately getting the same items from the same rooms but it was easy to look past that kind of stuff.

Another thing that was good in the original was that Leon and Claire would cross paths multiple times but in this one but after the intro they meet up once at the gate and then again at the end. It really makes it hard to believe they care about each other that much in thay final cutscene when they have had next to no interaction.

Over all I actually love the game although it probably doesn't seem like it but if I listed all the things I liked this post would have gone on forever. The gameplay and setting are near perfect and the game is only let down by those few inconsistencies and I cannot wait for RE3.
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

I booked the day off and preordered the Digital Deluxe edition on the Xbox One. I then spent that day and that weekend playing through Leon A and Claire B in quick succession.

Overall I really really enjoyed this and it felt like a perfect reimagining of the original. Mr X was a welcome extra addition (ie he was in it more) and the zombies had been way more than a threat than they were in previous games. The little changes in story improved it also
Spoiler: show
As a Dad the Kendo scene hit me for six as it came out of nowhere

My favourite thing about this game has to be the sound design. Not since Alien Isolation has a game used it to terrifying effect. Being able to hear Mr X stomping around and knowing he is above you or in the next corridor will still long in the memory.

Only gripes were that I spent too much time in the map screen due to the fact down to limited ammo/health I needed to be ''right 2nd door on the left up the stairs and 2nd door on the right when Mr X was around and that the Claire/Leon crossover didn't really exist in this version. Compared to the original this was a step back. Finally for me personally I would have preferred the extra stuff (Kendo & Mayors daughter especially) to have been story based rather than speed runs/time trials which don't do anything for me.

I would say as a fan of survival horror this is a must play.

I remember after finishing it just hope they never do Resident Evil 3 as Nemesis and Hunters will be bloody horribly terrifying in this engine.

Oh f**k :lol:
Cardb0ardC0wb0y

Post by Cardb0ardC0wb0y »

First time poster but have been a listener for several years now. I'm sorry if this is a bit long, obviously you guys feel free to chop, change, edit or omit any bits you want to, I'm just glad to be involved lol!

I am a massive fan of the Resident Evil series, having played the first one when I was about 12 when my cousin lent it to me, and when the sequel was released me & my best friend spent many a glorious weekend exploring the confines of the Raccoon Police Department building and Umbrella labs, finding all the secrets and increasing our completion rankings, until we knew the game inside and out and trying to best each other’s finish times.

I was beyond excited when the Remake was officially announced after years of rumours and speculation. I pre-ordered a copy as early as possible, later upgrading to the collector’s edition for the Leon statue and fancy replica RPD keys (strangely absent from the US C.E.). On release day I excitedly picked up my copy in a HUGE cardboard RPD storage box, set the game installing and eagerly awaited sundown so I could play it properly, in the dark, with the lights off...

It soon became apparent that the RPD and Raccoon City I had spent hours, if not years memorising, had completely changed. There were some remnants of the old game still lingering, but the layout and puzzles from my teen years had gone, replaced by new challenges and items to solve or find. This gave me a completely new thrill as I slowly scampered around, trying to find an elusive key or gemstone, and trying to avoid the zombies & other monsters infesting the old corridors.

The zombies themselves are much scarier this time around. In the original game, they were only dangerous in large numbers, but here each individual zombie becomes a very real threat. Whilst the third-person view allows the character to place their shots carefully, a zombie can dodge your shot, or take almost a whole clip before falling to the floor. Even the standard zombie headshot isn’t always a reliable method of dispatch in this game, but when a head finally does pop, it is fantastically gory as well as satisfying! The Lickers as well, dangerous enough in the original, are now speedy, violent horrors that can end a player in seconds. They can still be avoided by walking and creeping by them, but I found their hearing to be too unforgiving at times, resulting in some agonisingly slow sneaking around, or some rather nasty shocks when escaping from one enemy in particular...

Tyrant, or Mr. X as he is known to the RE fandom, is, in short, simply terrifying in this instalment. In classic RE2 he was indeed a formidable foe, but after playing the game a few times it soon become apparent he only appeared during certain scripted sequences, which somewhat diminished his impact. Here, however, he is a force to be reckoned with. Whilst his booming footsteps alert players to his presence long before they are in any real danger, the fact that he is nigh-on unstoppable and can deal massive amounts of damage with a single punch is enough to send anyone with an ounce of sense running, even though Tyrant can now follow the player through doors! Many times this led to me foolishly dashing in to corridors or areas I hadn’t fully cleared, leading to me stumbling in to the jaws of a shambling zombie, or falling foul of a swift decapitation from a lurking Licker!

The bosses are challenging if formulaic, still sticking a little too close to the standard Resident Evil trope of “see giant eye, shoot giant eye”, but still providing ample difficulty for even seasoned players. However, it is strange that actually one of the best weapons for taking down bosses in the game is now the lowly combat knife. At least the first 2 or 3 iterations of William Birkin can be sent packing with several swipes to their protruding peepers. This is not applicable to all bosses tough, and later versions of Tyrant or “G” Birkin will make short work of anyone attempting a stabby finish.

The living characters, essentially cardboard cutout personalities in the original, are much more fleshed out here. Chief Irons, instead of just being creepy is flat-out villainous, Ada is mysterious and dangerous, and even Sherry, insufferably annoying first time round, is actually quite sweet and likable here - I found myself actually wanting to save her this time instead of trying to leave her for the undead masses!

The level design is truly wonderful, the RPD really feels like a building under seige, the sewers are suitably grim, and the Umbrella lab is all shine and sparkle - except for the evidence of bloody violence the player will inevitably stumble upon. A lot of the fear in the original RE2 came from the fixed camera angles and never knowing what was round the next corner. With the third-person view it is more difficult to create tension in this fashion, but the developers have managed to combat this with the genius idea of plunging the players in to dark corridors, lit only by the player's torch, allowing zombies to sneak up from any angle. More than one surprise attack made me jump out of my skin!

The game has fantastic replay value, with variety of unlockable infinite weapons available for those with the skills and patience to master the hardcore mode, the beloved HUNK and Tofu minigames making a comeback, the enjoyable (and free!) Ghost Survivors DLC, although I agree with other forum users that there isn't enough difference between the "A" and "B" scenarios this time round. Arguably my favourite bit of DLC was simply the ability to switch the soundtrack back to that of the original game. I truly love running around the new RPD with the old, eerie music echoing around the old halls. 

In short, this is absolutely what I think a remake should be, keeping the things that people loved about the original but making them feel new and exciting. I played this game solidly for months, and can't wait to return to the streets of Raccoon City when the Resident Evil 3 remake arrives later this year...

(Sorry it's a bit long -believe it or not this is the edited version- but there was just too much to talk about! I've tried to split it up in to separate sections to keep things as brief as possible)