All 92+ Commercially Released Consoles, Ranked

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Magical_Isopod

All 92+ Commercially Released Consoles, Ranked

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I found a really great video that I feel a need to share. They take literally every console ever released to market (a Casio console marketed at young girls with a built-in sticker printer, anyone? Tomy Puter Jr.?) ranging from ultra-obscure to, well, the things we have in our living rooms right now.

It excludes handhelds, and does have some questionable entries (like including V-Tech devices normally sold in the toy aisle, and including Nintendo Satellaview while excluding Sega Channel), but it's a damned compelling watch nonetheless.

https://youtu.be/pI-JPlKROUk

And I'll toss in my Top 10 Consoles, just for the sake of giving this topic a purpose. My list is decidedly different from theirs.

1. PlayStation 4
2. PlayStation 3
3. Super Nintendo / Super Famicom
4. PlayStation
5. PlayStation 2
6. Genesis / Mega Drive
7. WiiU
8. Wii
9. Gamecube
10. Switch

Honourable Mentions:
Sega CD, Nintendo 64, Xbox 360, Turbo Duo, Sega Saturn
hazeredmist

Re: All 92+ Commercially Released Consoles, Ranked

Post by hazeredmist »

I’ve always found it odd that handhelds are often considered separately from tv consoles. They are games consoles, they just have integrated screens.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

hazeredmist wrote: January 5th, 2020, 9:28 am I’ve always found it odd that handhelds are often considered separately from tv consoles. They are games consoles, they just have integrated screens.
I think it's largely because handheld consoles are often a generation or two behind contemporary TV console technology, and they don't tend to fit into easily identifiable console "generations" as like PlayStation line does. The Switch, even, is no exception to this - it's barely more powerful than the WiiU, which was already fairly obsolete when *it* came out.
Beck

Post by Beck »

You could make the same argument with the Wii, which was far inferior to the PS3 and X360 and also a mid-generation console. I'm with Hazermist on that one.

Added to the watch later list, thank you :)
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Interesting watch, really very little to disagree with, especially the no. 1 pick. Number of consoles sold, number of games and number of great games, the PS2 really had to be up there. Here would be my top 10 list:

1. Playstation 4
2. Playstation 2
3. SNES
4. N64
5. Wii
6. Gamecube
7. Playstation
8. Mega Drive
9. XBox 360
10. Playstation 3
Sinclair Gregstrum

Post by Sinclair Gregstrum »

Love a good list debate! I know Leon hates arbitrary rankings of things, and his reasoning is absolutely correct - they are bullshit. But still, ranking stuff is just one of those weirdly satisfying activities :roll:

I certainly wouldn't have the PS3 as high as they've got it at no.3. Good console overall, but had a flimsy and lightweight controller, often inferior third party ports (and not this gen's version of worse, as in it's got x% less pixels, but properly flawed and a bit broken in some cases), and its online services were hobbled by a PSN that was unreliable and clunky at best, particularly when compared with what Xbox Live was doing at the time.

Decent hardware with some great games for sure, but I'd more agree with Jobobonobo's placement of it vs the no.3 they have it in their list.