Darius Cozmic Collection

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Stanshall

Darius Cozmic Collection

Post by Stanshall »

This is a fantastic compilation of classic Darius horizontal shmups released in Feb 2019 on the Switch. It was ported by M2, with all the love and attention you would expect. I'm starting the thread because a Western digital release is coming to PS4 in March.

It's the only physical Switch game I've bought besides BotW which was in a launch day bundle. I had to get it through PlayAsia, it was a bit expensive and it took a good while to turn up but at this point, it's absolutely worth it. Initially, they said it would be physical-only and Japan-only but in Q4 last year, they released it on the Japanese eShop so I double-dipped and I'll probably sell my physical copy.

The release is actually a bit more complicated than that, though, because there are multiple versions. Ignoring the wallet-nuking bells and whistles massive Special Edition box set with soundtrack CDs and art books and all that stuff, there are fundamentally two completely different versions: Arcade Edition and the so-called 'Consumer' Edition.

Arcade Edition includes:

Darius (Old)
Darius (New)
Darius (Extra)
Darius II (2 screen ver)
Sagaia (V1)
Sagaia (V2)
Darius Gaiden

Consumer Edition includes:

Darius II (Mega Drive)
Sagaia (Master System)
Darius Twin (SFC)
Darius Twin (SNES)
Darius Force (SFC)
Darius Alpha (PC-Engine)

The following games will also be patched into the Switch Consumer Edition when the PS4 version releases, which is pretty damn cool:

Sagaia (Genesis)
Super Nova (SNES)
Darius Plus (PC-Engine)

There was also, unfortunately, an Amazon Japan preorder bonus version of the Game Boy Sagaia. Hopefully that will be available as DLC one day.

This is the Special Edition, can't insert image as it's too big:
Spoiler: show
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EJ6dgXtXsAM ... name=large
Since I loved the Arcade Edition so much, I decided to go for the Consumer Edition as well over Christmas because it was about 30% off on the Japanese eShop. It's pretty expensive, about fifty quid at full price, and I can understand why people might feel that's steep for a handful of SNES and MD ROMs - to put it in those terms. I did initially question the purchase, but having spent time with all the different games, I really love what's here and there are some unique entries.

In terms of the Arcade Edition, it's essentially just three games but that description comes with a healthy caveat:

Darius, the 3-screen original, looks amazing on a 55" telly. The differences between New, Old and Extra are fairly subtle and I believe they're mostly down to how the game handles rank and difficulty. It's a great game and I love the power up system.

Darius II, also known as Sagaia in different territories, appears in three versions and with a lot more variation between them. They're all in the dual-screen configuration but still look really impressive. Quite frankly, this game is brilliant, an absolute classic. Sagaia Ver. 2 is probably my favourite because it's little easier in the early stages but Sagaia Ver. 1 is also superb, and it starts on Earth as opposed to the surface of the sun which just looks cool. The enemies and patterns and bosses are different in each version, too. I'd say they feel more like substantial remixes in the same game engine than completely separate games but each one earns its place here.

Darius Gaiden is another stone cold classic. Music, gameplay, graphics, difficulty curve, all are top top tier. I would love to 1CC it this year, it's an outstanding game. It's almost psychedelic, at times, and has an amazing atmosphere.

In terms of omissions, there's no G-Darius in either collection basically because M2 decided they had to draw a line somewhere with the available time and budget. That's a shame because it's such a great game but I really appreciate what is here so I don't feel short-changed.

I won't go through the Consumer Edition other than to say that I love seeing these games condensed into 8/16-bit form. The Master System version of Darius II is particularly amazing but I've also loved playing the console exclusives like Darius Twin and Darius Force. I still reckon the Arcade Edition is the one to go for in the first instance and maybe pick up the Consumer if you really need more.

Anyway, one of my favourite releases of last year and one which I'm enjoying even more and more as I learn these brilliant games.
hazeredmist

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection (Switch/PS4)

Post by hazeredmist »

Your enthusiasm for the Darius games is infectious - great write up. When it comes to selling your physical copy, hit me up dude!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Darius Cozmic Collection

Post by ratsoalbion »

My girlfriend imported me the Switch Arcade Edition for my birthday last June. I'd really like to be able to add all the consumer games to it.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I'd buy this, but it boggles the mind why they don't just release all the games in one collection, especially given the steep price. Darius Burst is a similar conundrum, as the game is ludicrously expensive at its base price, and there's hundreds of dollars of DLC on top of that. Whoever's managing the Darius IP seems to have a limited understanding of value.

I'd def recommend Taito Legends 2 as well, as that one has both Darius Gaiden and G. Darius... I bought my copy for like $13. And, of course, it comes with dozens of other arcade games as well, ranging from bad to great.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Why sell one collection for fifty quid when you can sell two? Or, less facetiously, I think a fair bit of work has gone in here, this is quite a long list of games and considering the recent Psikyo compilation is about the same price, I reckon they've got two significantly more appealing products here.

In terms of value, DB:CS is also exceptional in terms of the amount of game you get for your money. The DLC seems a bit expensive but again, having been playing and loving the Space Harrier and Ketsui stages this afternoon, I think they're totally worth it.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

hazeredmist wrote: January 26th, 2020, 1:07 pm Your enthusiasm for the Darius games is infectious - great write up. When it comes to selling your physical copy, hit me up dude!
Cheers, I definitely will give you first dibs.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Maybe I'm mentally wrapping all of the DLC into my impression of the content/value. I do agree that CS is basically loads of remixed and shuffled bosses and stages and ships but the fact is that there are loads of all of the above. It is stretched quite thinly so it feels like every single possible permutation is included but if you list everything that's there, it's a fair old chunk of game. All the different classic ship types mix things up quite a lot, for starters.

I really like how melancholic and lonely they feel. Also, the power ups can get really cool so if you can survive and keep picking stuff up, you can become a DEMON.
hazeredmist

Post by hazeredmist »

Stanshall wrote: January 26th, 2020, 5:05 pm
hazeredmist wrote: January 26th, 2020, 1:07 pm Your enthusiasm for the Darius games is infectious - great write up. When it comes to selling your physical copy, hit me up dude!
Cheers, I definitely will give you first dibs.
Cheers fella
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Amen! Hallelujah!

Once Gaiden clicks, Darius II will be irresistible. :twisted:
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Bloody hell...
Wikipedia wrote:There are 6 editions of Darius Cozmic Collection:

Darius Cozmic Collection Standard Edition (released physically and digitally in Japan for Switch)[1]

Darius Cozmic Collection Consumer Edition (released digitally in Japan for Switch)[2]

Darius Cozmic Collection Special Edition (released physically and digitally in Japan for Switch)

Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade Edition (to be released physically and digitally worldwide for PlayStation 4 and Switch)[3]

Darius Cozmic Collection Console Edition (to be released physically and digitally worldwide for PlayStation 4 and Switch)

Darius Cozmic Collection International Edition (to be released physically and digitally worldwide for PlayStation 4 and Switch)

Almost all of the editions feature different games.

Looking on Wiki, seems like the "International Edition" features every game including on the other editions. Bet that's pricy, though.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Alex79uk wrote: January 27th, 2020, 7:53 pm Looking on Wiki, seems like the "International Edition" features every game including on the other editions. Bet that's pricy, though.
Yep, €140 for that one. It's the same as the Special Edition, except in English and comes with the three extra console games which are being patched into the Japanese versions.

Only Amazon Japan preorder guys get the GB Sagaia, though! :(

I really want that now, despite the fact it'll obviously be a bit shit.