Need for Speed: Most Wanted

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Leg of Time

Re: Need for Speed: Most Wanted

Post by Leg of Time »

I've got this pre-ordered, 360 for me. Can't wait to get some multiplayer in! If it's anything like Paradise (which it looks like it is) it'll be excellent online. :)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Xantiriad wrote:PS3 for me unless MS dramatically fix their £30 a year advertising board
It's frustrating. Shouldn't be any ads for gold, but it's only one corner at least. Thankfully they added an extra set of tiles for showing actual, relatable content and moved games across which I'm happier with. Of course, starting straight to disc counters all that.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

One corner. Are you joking? I'm not taking about the Lynx / whatever ads. It's all the other shit. Fucking music, Sky and video game ads all over the thing. If they are in the marketplace, I'm fine with that, but not all over the UI. They take up 75% of the home screen.
GSMason

Post by GSMason »

I am really excited about playing this and have it Pre-ordered with ShopTo.

Definitely up for some multiplayer on the 360 version. Glad you made the right choice James! ;-)
Rare

Post by Rare »

I'm definitely getting it, I'll be playing lot's of this and Halo 4.
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

If they fix this shit http://yfrog.com/hwcjbvwj between now and release day I'll soften my position and go 360 for multiplayer.

Anyone know when the "dash update" is due?
Dante Fireseed

Post by Dante Fireseed »

I will be getting this for sure, i loved Hot Pursuit, I think it is the best arcade racer of this gen.

i'll be getting it on 360 i'd love to get in on the online action :)
Baron Phil

Post by Baron Phil »

I'll be picking this up on PS3 on launch.
dezm0nd

Post by dezm0nd »

Xantiriad wrote:If they fix this shit http://yfrog.com/hwcjbvwj between now and release day I'll soften my position and go 360 for multiplayer.

No idea mate but it apparently solves the advert overload problem. One of my gripes with the service and why I unsubsribed from XBL Gold.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

Xantiriad wrote:If they fix this shit http://yfrog.com/hwcjbvwj between now and release day I'll soften my position and go 360 for multiplayer.

I hate that too, the 5 screen scrolling adverts for TV and music etc. changed now:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/Jk77V.jpg[/img]
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Man that's gutting :(

That's still an entire screenful marketplace content with 3 tiny little boxes on the left to access my own data on my expensive consumer product.

How much "marketing content" is there on an iOS home screen, or Wii, or PS3, or Vita, ...I could go on?

I have no problem with this type of marketplace marketing inside the marketplace "page" - in fact I would expect it. But to front load my device, and hide core functionality behind it, is a disgrace even before considering they are getting £30 a year subscription as well.

They've completely abused their position. It's not as if you get a choice to apply the update or not. <sigh>.

I had high hopes I could return to the device for multiplayer games as it is the strength of the 360. It would be perfect for Most Wanted. But this vulgarity and abuse of trust shouldn't be rewarded. Roll on the next gen when I can ditch this once great brand altogether.
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

I don't mind this kind of advertising, it's what they've done since NXE, as long as it updates me regarding new content, it offers more usability than ever and works well. It's much better than it was, not seen any 5 on Demand/Zune stuff there at least (yet)
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

@Karl I found a solution recently anyway. Turn off auto-sign in. You boot to the Avatar selection screen; press the Guide button & choose a game or disk; it prompts you to sign in. All browsed and launched with no dash :)
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

That certainly solves the problem for you. Wish they'd make that a selectable option. I don't mind it, but it was less in your face on NXE and I, as a Gold subscriber should get the option to customise my dashboard experience. Good tip Gary, thanks.
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

The ever-reliable ShopTo have dispatched this, so I look forward to getting stuck into this after work :)
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Had a quick go on this, first impressions are pretty good. It's very much Burnout Paradise 2, been driving about unlocking new cars and smashing stuff up :)
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Played a few hours tonight and not feeling it. Lacks the charm and variety of Burnout Paradise and feels laden down with the NFS trappings. Handling is weird too: sort of 'sticky'.

Please can Criterion be freed up to make Burnout games where they were their most innovative.
W1DGET

Post by W1DGET »

Xantiriad wrote:Handling is weird too: sort of 'sticky'.
Ah, it's not just me who thought the handling was odd then, exactly my comments last night, cars don't feel tail happy enough :(
Xantiriad

Post by Xantiriad »

Totally.

Playing Burnout Paradise you could
chuck the cars around with wild abandon and have controlled power slides with a mere flick of the thumb.

Here I feel like I am fighting an invisible adhesive force that suddenly gives way only to snap back again. It feels digital rather than analogue. Worse, it often randomly sends you into a wall or post.

Bah!
magicjoef

Post by magicjoef »

Watching the Quick Look on Giant Bomb put me off quite a bit. Doesn't look like the Hot Pursuit + Burnout mashup I had hoped for.