Final Fantasy VII Remake

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
rob25X

Final Fantasy VII Remake

Post by rob25X »

After a very, very long wait, Final Fantasy VII - 'the remake' has finally arrived in a playable form.

I spent roughly an hour on the demo this morning and I honestly don't think I've ever seen, heard or played anything as impressive. Every detail is stunning, the characters all have great voice actors and the new battle system feels instantly natural. I was concerned the change in battle system was going to let the game down but it's actually much better than in the original. From what I've experienced of it so far there's no doubt in my mind the game will be hugely successful and well received by both fans of the 1997 original and newcomers.

Anyone else played the demo yet or have opinions on the FF7 remake?
Flabyo

Re: Final Fantasy VII Remake

Post by Flabyo »

I think my only concerns now are going to be how long it is, and then how long until we see part 2...

Pay special attention to how it handles battle music during the timed escape, it’s doing something pretty clever.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah quite a few of us have played it, have a look in the last couple of pages of the 'what you been playing' thread, but everyone seems quite positive on it. I really enjoyed it. The music was spot on, the combat good and the boss was really tricky! If I had one criticism about that boss in particular, there didn't seem much of a technique to beating it, it was almost like it just had to be tanked, standing there and attacking whilst keeping topped up on potions. Didn't seem much strategy involved, but maybe I missed something?
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Barrett can cast lightning, eventually that will stagger it.

Also you need to sub target the shield generator when it brings it online.

But yeah, it’s not a pushover, but it wasn’t in the original game either.
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Flabyo wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 2:41 pm I think my only concerns now are going to be how long it is, and then how long until we see part 2...

Pay special attention to how it handles battle music during the timed escape, it’s doing something pretty clever.
The game has been hyped and delayed for many years so hopefully there won't be a big window between the parts. Hopefully the game won't get cut up into smaller DLC parts either. That would possibly kill it for me. I was excited for FFXV but by the time I got to it there were so many DLC packs and expansions I couldn't be bothered with it. I'm one those who likes a complete package. :)
chase210

Post by chase210 »

I like it a lot. It’s a lot harder than the original. I would have died at several points in the scorpion fight without potions.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Ha, just looked it up and I knew I'd spotted it right - Wedge is voiced by Jesse's mate in Breaking Bad. I could tell just from the 'Er...huh....' haha.
Electric Crocosaurus

Post by Electric Crocosaurus »

Yep, played this through and it felt great, just what I would have hoped for from a FFVII remake. Funnily enough I only made it a little past leaving Midgar when I played in my youth, so the first chapter will cover pretty much everything I have nostalgia for. I played the rest of FFVII a few years ago, so I’m ok with the wait for the remainder.

Roll on April 10th!
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

It’s interesting that we’re all assuming this part is going to end with leaving Midgar. It feels like fair assumption, but they’ve not outright stated it yet...

I’m looking forward more to what they’ve changed than what they’ve not actually. I’d like to see some of the other crisis core characters in there, like Cissnei. Embrace the extended continuity!

They probably won’t though.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

I'm still hoping that right before release they say 'you know how you all thought this game was going to just be Midgar? It's not, it's the whole thing!'

Also, definitely looking forward to getting Vincent eventually when the full game is finally released. (2030!?)
chase210

Post by chase210 »

No playable Red 13 is weird, assuming it does end with the group leaving Midgar.
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Red XIII was never playable in the Midgar section of the original game was he anyway? Maybe at the very end of it you could, I can't remember. But I didn't think you could use him in your party till a bit later.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

I think the only major change they’ll make, other than adding new content, is... (spoilers for near the end of the midgar section of ff7...)

If you’ve somehow never played ff7, don’t read this:
Spoiler: show
After the rescue from the lab, you enter president Shinra’s office and find he’s been murdered. In the original game it’s Sephiroth’s sword stuck in him, but you don’t actually see him.

I’d be amazed if they don’t drop in some sort of scene where you see him do it, otherwise you’re not going to have him in the game *at all*.

Although I can’t actually remember if the first playable Nibelheim flashback happened before you left Midgar or not, I’m vaguely remembering it happens once you reach Kalm). So they might move that up to get the pretty poster boy in this first part
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

The flashback happens when you reach Kalm as that is where I'm up to in the Switch version currently.

Loved the demo and have it preordered digitally as I'll know the Mrs will want to play it through also.

Just need to cane Resi 3 in the week before now
Mr Ixolite

Post by Mr Ixolite »

Alex79uk wrote: March 4th, 2020, 11:35 am Red XIII was never playable in the Midgar section of the original game was he anyway? Maybe at the very end of it you could, I can't remember. But I didn't think you could use him in your party till a bit later.
Red XIII joins in the back half of the Shinra HQ raid. You can use him for the last three or so bosses of the Midgar section of the game. I distinctly remember it because of how goofy Red XIII's Sled Fang limit break looked when fighting bosses on moving elevator platforms
Suits

Post by Suits »

People, I’d like some assistance please.

So, I’ve never really played FF7. I put a few hours into it when it came out originally, but other than that not touched it again.

What would people suggest I do ??

Go back and play FF7 on original hardware on a PVM, or, get the fancy new re-make and use that as my FF7 experience ?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Honestly they're completely different games. There's no reason not to play both of them. I think the original is 100% worth playing if you've not before, as long as you have the patience for what is a very typical JRPG from the 90s. Typical as in gameplay and systems, it's still a very special typical JRPG from the 90s.

If I was going to play the original today it wouldn't be on original hardware. I'd go for the Switch or PS4 version (or any other 'current gen' release). The triple speed and a couple of other QoL improvements would really lessen some of the frustrations of a game from that era.
Stanshall

Post by Stanshall »

Suits, I started it in 1998 or whenever it came out. I only finished it last year and it was my actual favourite gaming experience of 2019, which was also a fucking blinding year for me in many ways. It still stands up very well, the music and atmosphere and characters are wonderful. The combat gets good as the game goes along but the modernised 'cheats' that Alex mentioned were very very welcome to get me back to the good stuff of exploring and soaking it all up.

The new game isn't going to tell more than maybe a quarter of the original story and while the opening act is fantastic, it's arguably everything that comes after it which really makes the early game live so long in the memory. The music is a genuine all-timer, even discounting nostalgia. It was one of my most played albums last year because it arrived on Spotify.

The new demo seems great and I had tears in my eyes at the intro and was laughing with happiness and surprise at much of it, but the original will be the way to go, almost undoubtedly.
Suits

Post by Suits »

Alex79uk wrote: March 4th, 2020, 8:49 pm I'd go for the Switch or PS4 version (or any other 'current gen' release). The triple speed and a couple of other QoL improvements would really lessen some of the frustrations of a game from that era.
Yes, of course, great point - that had totally slipped my mind. That would be hard to ignore.

Stanshall wrote: March 4th, 2020, 9:10 pm The new game isn't going to tell more than maybe a quarter of the original story and while the opening act is fantastic, it's arguably everything that comes after it which really makes the early game live so long in the memory.
Yes, again great point.

If I want to play the game to better understand the story, the new game might take four years to be told again.
Flabyo

Post by Flabyo »

Bear in mind that all the numbered FF games are apparently due on gamepass as well at some point. Fifteen already is.