Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
Indiana747

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Post by Indiana747 »

Apologies if there is a thread about this already. If there is, blame your search engine.
Has anyone seen the latest trailer from TGS. Personally i think it is amazing. It seems whatever project Platinum touch, well, turns to platinum. :)
I reckon the people that were reviling this game as not a canon Metal Gear game will need to rethink their views. It obviously has the visual quality that an MG game demands.
Whats everyones views? Has the developments in this games life cycle changed your mind?
Combine Hunter

Re: MGR: Revengence

Post by Combine Hunter »

I'm super excited for it, especially after that TGS trailer. I love Bayonetta, and to be quite frank I think Vanquish kicks the shit out of Gears of War. I think Platinum will pull out a great game as always.
mikeleddy83

Re: MGR: Revengence

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Thanks for pointing this out, hadn't seen it until now. Linked it here for anybody interested (probably a few boss strategy spoilers in there but well worth a watch)

You're both right about Platinum, can't see this one going wrong.
Sean

Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengence

Post by Sean »

I'm having a having a difficult time mustering up any excitement for this, and, mostly, I think it might be because I don't have as much reverence for Platinum as, it would seem, everyone else does. Bayonetta was awesome, and Vanquish was pretty fun, but, I'll wait for reviews on this one.

I need a Metal Gear game to have a good story (hey, I like them so far, damnit!), and, that's one area that Platinum really needs improvement. If they can pull it off with this one, all the power to them, but, I'm skeptical.
ryan_astley

Re: Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

Post by ryan_astley »

Very excited to try this at Eurogamer, I don't think they can go wrong from what they've shown in the trailers. Games like this don't need an overly complicated plot so I hope Kojima and co haven't put 20 minute cutscenes in there to take you out of the action. Having this and Bayonetta 2 appearing in the future makes me hope that Platinum become even bigger and better.
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Like Metal Gear, love Platinum, hate that title.
:D
AndyKurosaki

Post by AndyKurosaki »

Far as I'm concerned, Platinum could make Connect 4-One Direction Edition and I'd buy it, as they are a company I hold in high regard indeed.
I'm well up for this :)
DomsBeard

Post by DomsBeard »

Enjoyed Vanquish, I can't help but feel this is going to be Vanquish with swords. Mind you that sounds ace!! :). Has Kojima written the story? I'm presuming its somehow cannon?.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Did anybody get a chance to play the demo? I think I'm sold on it now that I've played it, those cutting mechanics seem like something I'll never get bored of.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

So the demo is now available to download on both platforms. Has anyone played it yet and what were your thoughts?
ratsoalbion
Admin

Post by ratsoalbion »

Downloaded it on 360 but not played it yet. A useless post I know.
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

I didn't even know there was a thread for this game. If I knew I would have posted sooner. I've actually talked about it on these forums before in the thread for DMC, so I'll just quote myself from there.
But that's not my last word on the topic. I've also played another demo that relates to these games. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. In a way it's a spiritual successor to the original four DMC games, as was Bayonetta, since it's made by many of the game people that worked on them. I never personally played Bayonetta, but I hear it's very good, and worthy of carrying on the torch from DMC. Revengeance seems to be following in that trend. Although the demo is pretty short, it is fantastic. Controls feel really great and the dicing mechanic was really fun and satisfying. The game looks gorgeous too. The design of everything looks great and the overall fidelity is brilliant. From what I experienced story-wise it seems like it's going to be great too. I've never played any of the Metal Gear games before, but I understand that their stories and themes tend to be very philosophical and esoteric. It seems this time round there won't be any change to that. At the end of the demo I fought a robot dog with a chainsaw on the end of its tail, who throughout the fight was discussing the purpose of life and the agency of A.Is with Raiden. I love stuff like that and if the rest of the game is like that then I'm sold. If there's anything negative I had to say about the demo it would be that the enemy variety wasn't too thrilling. I guess it's another aspect that had to be in the game to make it fit within the Metal Gear universe, but for most of the demo I found myself fighting nothing but generic soldier dudes and a few smaller Metal Gears. It's a bit underwhelming when you compare it to the monsters and demons of DMC and Bayonetta, but it was only a demo. Hopefully the full game will have more interesting stuff in it.
The only thing I'd add to that is that the block system seems to be kind of unusual. There's no block button, but rather you parry incoming moves by swinging your sword in the direction of an incoming attack. Not sure how I feel about that at the moment.
JaySevenZero
Admin

Post by JaySevenZero »

ratsoalbion wrote:Downloaded it on 360 but not played it yet. A useless post I know.
Chasing the thousand by the end of the month aint ya?! ;)

Any reason in particular why you chose the 360 though?
Combine Hunter

Post by Combine Hunter »

I've played it. I think the demo does a terrible job of telling you how to play the game. The "tutorial" really only teaches you how to use blade mode. So playing it through the first time, I was a tad confused as to what I was meant to be doing. For example, the game tells you HOW to parry, but it doesn't tell you WHEN to parry. But second time through, I had a better sense of how the game actually handles, and I had a blast. There is a great game in there, but it does a terrible job of showing you.
ryan_astley

Post by ryan_astley »

I'd almost compare fighting the boss in the demo to this guy
http://uk.playstation.com/media/sT3NtNpg/33/Boss.jpg
hope it doesn't put people off from buying the final game.
I think I regret buying Devil May Cry now this demo's out, cannot wait!
NokkonWud

Post by NokkonWud »

You regret buying DmC, a brilliant game, a month before another game? You could always play, complete and enjoy DmC and then trade it in towards MGR:R.

Personally I'm looking to enjoy both but I feel DmC will live longer in my mind.
ryan_astley

Post by ryan_astley »

No I will play through DmC, it's got it's charm, liking the plot and the challenge but as soon as Metal Gear's out...
Sean

Post by Sean »

I ended up, oddly, with the exact opposite reaction to the demo than I thought I would.

Didn't really like the gameplay, but, thought the story and characters seemed intriguing. Maybe I'm just still in the afterglow of DmC, but, Raiden felt kinda slow to me, and, not always doing what I'm telling him to with the controls. The tutorial was shitty, as Josh said, but, I have to imagine they do a better job in the full release. Or, at least I hope they do. They only "teach" you blade-mode, but, I still couldn't grasp it. Every time I went into blade-mode, the camera would just shoot up in the air, and, I couldn't see where I was slicing. I imagine it's something you get used to eventually, but...meh.

Also, the game feels way more like Vanquish than Bayonetta. Even the font choice is straight out of Vanquish (aside from when they use the Metal Gear font). Wasn't expecting that.

I'll still give it a rent.
mikeleddy83

Post by mikeleddy83 »

Is this the same demo as the ZOE HD collection?
Scrustle

Post by Scrustle »

Pretty sure it is the same.