Royal Mail's 2020 video game stamps

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
rob25X

Royal Mail's 2020 video game stamps

Post by rob25X »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/51012498

'Royal Mail stamps celebrate Tomb Raider and other classic video games'

Did anyone hear about this? It's a rather odd choice of 12 iconic 80's and 90's video games.

4 for Tomb Raider, Elite (1984), Dizzy (1987), Populous (1989), Lemmings (1991), Micro Machines (1991), Sensible Soccer (1992), Wipeout (1995) & Worms (1995).

What games would have been on your video game history celebration stamps? (80's and 90's only)
Scrustle

Re: Royal Mail's 2020 video game stamps

Post by Scrustle »

Seems like not having anything related to Rare is a pretty big oversight. Perhaps it's hard to get the rights to do so, with those IPs being tied up with Nintendo and Microsoft. Or maybe they felt those relationships made those games less "British"?
rob25X

Post by rob25X »

Scrustle wrote: April 26th, 2020, 4:38 pm Seems like not having anything related to Rare is a pretty big oversight. Perhaps it's hard to get the rights to do so, with those IPs being tied up with Nintendo and Microsoft. Or maybe they felt those relationships made those games less "British"?
Oh yes, I just realised the choices... British developers of course. I thought it was odd Pac-Man was missing. lol

Yes, Rare games should certainly be there.

So made in Britain games then from the 80's and 90's... maybe Grand Theft Auto (1997), Theme Park (1994). Not many come to mind now but I'm sure there are many other classics.
Magical_Isopod

Post by Magical_Isopod »

I could see a modicum of controversy with GTA being on a public stamp... Certainly, the crusty old conservative types would have a rant over such a thing.

It'd be interesting to see what Canada would do for a similar set of stamps, as Canadian-made games are often overshadowed by their international publishers. Certainly, I could see the likes of Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed and Eternal Darkness being some of the more obvious picks, but a lot of people don't know that most of the FIFA and Luigi's Mansion games, for instance, are Canadian.

My personal picks for Canadian games would be Deus Ex: Human Resources and Valley (2016). :P
stvnorman

Post by stvnorman »

Think these came out last year - I’ve had the presentation pack on my desk for ages waiting for me to remember to get a frame. I often these or first day covers for things that interest me - hangover from an entire childhood collecting stamps and never missing a monthly release! I think they look great as a set, but they don’t beat my collection of ten different Hammer Horror first day covers individually signed by Christopher Lee!

Anyway, I’d have included a Manic Miner or Knightlore or similar. And would have replaced Sensible Soccer with Kick Off or Match Day. Nothing here offends me though.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

Scrustle wrote: April 26th, 2020, 4:38 pm Seems like not having anything related to Rare is a pretty big oversight. Perhaps it's hard to get the rights to do so, with those IPs being tied up with Nintendo and Microsoft. Or maybe they felt those relationships made those games less "British"?
Maybe something from the Spectrum era like Jetpac or Sabrewulf could have been suitable. Would be good from a historical perspective (Rare's roots being represented) and might have less legal complications than using, say, Banjo or Perfect Dark.