playing on an internet-virgin Switch/avoiding system updates?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
shadowless_kick

playing on an internet-virgin Switch/avoiding system updates?

Post by shadowless_kick »

my Switch hasn't connected to the internet since I purchased it and I've wanted to keep it that way for as long as possible. today, though, I slid in a copy of ESP RaDe and was hit with the "A system update is required to use this software" message. I figured this day would come eventually.

I've done a quick search on ways to get around this, but everything I've found involves arcane terms and hackerspeak that I don't understand. I suppose I'd be willing to go down that rabbit hole if I need to, but even those back-alley methods would require getting online at some point, right?

are there any other alternatives? given everything else in life is wired, I really want to keep at least the Switch experience simple and free of more notifications and Terms of Service agreements. I've also heard of people having issues even playing physical games offline because of snafus with patches and updates. I'd rather just avoid it altogether if I can.
Alex79

Re: playing on an internet-virgin Switch/avoiding system updates?

Post by Alex79 »

Short of hacking the device, no. It's impossible to spoof a firmware without hacking, and I don't believe you can update a Switch via USB (ie. not online).

Out of sheer interest - why?

EDIT: I suppose just going online to download the update patch and then going straight back offline wouldn't make much difference to your experience though, if you're trying to keep notification free etc.
shadowless_kick

Re: playing on an internet-virgin Switch/avoiding system updates?

Post by shadowless_kick »

Alex79uk wrote: July 7th, 2020, 5:50 pm EDIT: I suppose just going online to download the update patch and then going straight back offline wouldn't make much difference to your experience though, if you're trying to keep notification free etc.
yes, this is likely to be the route I take, but even it has potential pitfalls, as I mentioned. I suppose I'm just lamenting the fact that it's essentially impossible to avoid digital shenanigans these days, even when you're going full physical on small, single-player indie games that don't require huge patches.