My memories with the Xbox 360

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
HaloFandango

My memories with the Xbox 360

Post by HaloFandango »

Hi everyone, just a quick intro, my name is Howard and I used to be here as "HeviMetaru" on the forums! Great to be back and I'll chat with you all soon! 8-)

I recently listened to the Xbox 360 special and have so far listened to it twice. One of the best console specials yet in my opinion. The memories absolutely flooded back to be after listening to the show and if I may, I would like to share them here with all of you. It was so affirming to hear other people had the same fun experiences as I had.

I was still in secondary school (junior high for any American readers) when the Xbox 360 was about to launch. I must have been 13 or 14 years old at the time.

I had traded in my PS2 and all of the games I had for an Xbox after playing Halo round a friend's house. It was genuinely transformative and Halo has been in my conscious ever since that first campaign mission on the Pillar of Autumn.

So when the Xbox 360 was announced, my friend and I were absolutely hyped. We were reading the Official Xbox Magazine and devoured any coverage that the Xbox 360 was given. Assassin's Creed was regularly flaunted as a must-have title.

My friend definitely didn't pick it up at launch, it must have been around a year after the console came out. He called me and I ran to his house to play it. He had picked up Gears of War and seeing the carnage in all its SD glory (he still had a CRT composite TV at that point) was beautiful to behold. We played so much of that game in co-op! I bought my Xbox 360 Premium 20GB console soon after that.

I regularly had 1 on 1 matches with another friend on Gears of War as well. Basically, the first person to grab the sniper on Gridlock won the match every time ;)

Back to the console, I also got introduced to my current favourite Thrash Metal band - Megadeth, through the Xbox 360. Because you could listen to music whilst playing games, my friend put on a metal album while we played Gears of War. I asked who made these awesome songs and my friend said it was by a band named Megadeth, from an album called "The System Has Failed". The rest, they say, is history.

The Xbox 360 also introduced me to the comfiest controller I have ever used. The PS4 controller is great as well as the Xbox One and PS1 controllers, but the Xbox 360 controller is hands-down the easiest to hold. It fits so well in my hand with all of the buttons as well as triggers in easy reach.

Using things like the towel trick to temporarily fix an Xbox 360 was pure madness, but for a kid who wanted things to be fixed quickly and start playing his games again, it was something I was willing to do.

When Halo 3 released, for me personally, that was when the Xbox 360 hit its opus. The game ran so smoothly on the machine and I remember being envious of my friend who had managed to unlock the Hayabusa Armour after many hours of grinding online.

Thank you for all the amazing memories, Xbox 360. You will forever be in my heart.

Let me know your experiences as well, everyone. It was so interesting to hear what people had to say about their beloved Xbox 360s.
Alex79

Re: My memories with the Xbox 360

Post by Alex79 »

HaloFandango wrote: August 1st, 2020, 4:59 pmBack to the console, I also got introduced to my current favourite Thrash Metal band - Megadeth, through the Xbox 360. Because you could listen to music whilst playing games, my friend put on a metal album while we played Gears of War. I asked who made these awesome songs and my friend said it was by a band named Megadeth, from an album called "The System Has Failed". The rest, they say, is history.
Wow, just imagine the effect it would have had if he'd put one of their good albums on!!

;) :lol:
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Alex79uk wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 7:32 am
HaloFandango wrote: August 1st, 2020, 4:59 pmBack to the console, I also got introduced to my current favourite Thrash Metal band - Megadeth, through the Xbox 360. Because you could listen to music whilst playing games, my friend put on a metal album while we played Gears of War. I asked who made these awesome songs and my friend said it was by a band named Megadeth, from an album called "The System Has Failed". The rest, they say, is history.
Wow, just imagine the effect it would have had if he'd put one of their good albums on!!

;) :lol:
Ha ha, I can't say anything about Megadeth, man. I'm super bias and love all of their albums. Have you got a favourite?
Alex79

Post by Alex79 »

Yeah I'd say Peace Sells and Rust In Peace are my two favorites. :)
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Alex79uk wrote: August 2nd, 2020, 8:20 am Yeah I'd say Peace Sells and Rust In Peace are my two favorites. :)
They are masterpieces for sure. Shame Megadeth don't play The Conjuring live anymore, but considering the actual lyrics and Mustaine being a Christian, it is probably for the best :lol:

Always great meeting more Megadeth fans!