Self-imposed rules on buying games?

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
TyraNoah

Re: Self-imposed rules on buying games?

Post by TyraNoah »

Quite interesting! This tips will really help me save a lot of time and resources!
SludgeWizard

Post by SludgeWizard »

I try to get an hour of play for every dollar I spend on the game. There are obvious exceptions to this (Journey comes to mind), but this loose rule usually overpowers the hype machine and gets me to wait for a sale.
Jobobonobo

Post by Jobobonobo »

The last time I bought a game brand new day one was Rayman Origins back in 2011 but yeah nearly always get stuff second hand or in digital sales these days. I also tend to stick with one game at a time and will only move on when I feel like I got my money's worth or finished it off. With digital sales if there is a number of stuff that interests me I tend to get a 20 or 50 euro card and stock up for the next few months or so. Also keep checking sales if something I really want has gone down in price and nab it while it is good and cheap. My one game at a time rule still is in effect only after I have finished one off, I have a nice choice of stuff ready for me to check out. Due to operating this way I have only spent 70 euro on games this year and I have gone through seven games so far. Does not sound like much but time is limited so I do the best I can. Also I tend to go for games with a long playtime or just try and do as much as I can if I really love a title.

Also hard agree on those saying to ignore hype and wait a few months as the price will eventually drop (except for bloody Nintendo stuff, sadly!). Gaming really becomes so much cheaper if you stay out of the hype cycle.