Save an original Xbox today! - remove the dreaded ticking time bomb clock capacitor

This is where you can deliberate anything relating to videogames - past, present and future
HaloFandango

Save an original Xbox today! - remove the dreaded ticking time bomb clock capacitor

Post by HaloFandango »

I recently just removed my original Xbox's clock capacitor. After 10 years or so, these capacitors can start to leak electrolyte fluid over the motherboard, shorting the motherboard and creating a dead Xbox. Fortunately, mine was still okay when I removed it.

This is the culprit:

You can either de-solder it off the board or gently wiggle it off and it will eventually pop off. I chose to wiggle mine, as I don't have any tin for de-soldering with.

It does mean you have to input the system's time and date every time you turn on the console, but it is worth it to not have a dead Xbox.

For opening up the machine, I highly recommend these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSS3U1pxTlc

And

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-vnkWDeRBc

Good luck and you too could save an Xbox today!
ratsoalbion
Admin

Re: Save an original Xbox today! - remove the dreaded ticking time bomb clock capacitor

Post by ratsoalbion »

Good PSA, Halo!
HaloFandango

Re: Save an original Xbox today! - remove the dreaded ticking time bomb clock capacitor

Post by HaloFandango »

ratsoalbion wrote: August 8th, 2020, 1:28 pm Good PSA, Halo!
Save those Xbox's! An Xbox is for life, not just for Christmas.
Michiel K

Post by Michiel K »

Good shout, I still need to open up and investigate mine. Probably sooner rather than later!
HaloFandango

Post by HaloFandango »

Michiel K wrote: August 9th, 2020, 12:58 pm Good shout, I still need to open up and investigate mine. Probably sooner rather than later!
Yeah man worth doing when you have some time. Most likely it will still be okay, but you never know!